Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ new season

• 05-08-2010 4:40pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just trawled through RTÉ's new season line up.

Couldn't see a new series of WDYTYA listed.

:mad:

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Makes sense, ditch a good show and give Brendan O'Connor his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

pretty strange alright. i was expecting a new series.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It's possible they'll do it in the Spring season....

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

They are showing the second series again on RTE in case anyone missed it. Rosanna Davison on Thursday night (Aug 12th). Ryan Tubridy's one is on the rte player at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Heard from a reliable source that they were filming for the Irish series in UL this week. :D:D:D

I sometimes think it would be lovely if they took ordinary people and demonstrated how they did their searches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Bicycle wrote: »
    Heard from a reliable source that they were filming for the Irish series in UL this week. :D:D:D

I sometimes think it would be lovely if they took ordinary people and demonstrated how they did their searches.

Totally agree :)

The celebs stories can all seem the same sometimes... would be good to hear some genuine interesting family background from normal people

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

We'd like that but most people don't want to see the ordinary stories. It's entertainment after all.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

They are showing the second series again on RTE in case anyone missed it. Rosanna Davison on Thursday night (Aug 12th). Ryan Tubridy's one is on the rte player at the moment.

Do we really need so see the former Miss Ireland pretend she's interested in her family history again?! I know so many people who turned off that episode in the middle because they found it very lacklustre and unenthusiastic.

I like the idea of having an 'ordinary' person research their family history and how they reacted to it.

Another option would be to have a 'famous' person's descendant research their family lineage and see what comes out of it. For example, if you took, say for argument's sake, Padraig Pearse's descendants and had them research their family and see if anything interesting stemmed from it. That way there's a compromise between an 'ordinary' and 'famous' person - enough to keep the wider population's interest, without losing that of the genuine enthusiasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that if they chose an ordinary person, the programme would only be on for five minutes, because they'd probably get stuck in 1911.

Some self-proclaimed historian told me once, that the ruling classes treated the ordinary Catholic peasant like livestock, so the records are almost non-existent.

RTE seems to choose celebrities, whose ancestors didn't fall into the livestock category, so could trace the records back further.

Perhaps I'm biased because I come from a long line of peasants:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

In most cases it should be possible to go back to the beginning of Civil Registration in 1864, and most of the RC records are intact... although not many of them go back before the early 1800s (due to penal laws etc).

Many of the Church of Ireland parish records were in the Public Records Office at the Four Courts in 1922 - and were destroyed.

Shane

• Advertisement
Advertisement