Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paintball vs airsoft

• 05-08-2010 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

hey guys this my first time on the paintball forum i normally hang out on the airsoft side. however i saw the sticky about airsoft and paintball and it got me thinking. have any of you tried airsoft. well i haven't tried paintball an would like to maybe give it a go. But, what abotu stepping it up a knotch. playing one sport against the other. game on game. one team plays with paintball guns the other with aeg's (Airsoft Electric Guns). i presume the rules are along the same lines you get hit you respawn in yur base or safe zone. both fire in around the 300 fps mark although the paintball is a larger size. would there be a team out there willing to give it a shot. airsoft vs paintball, sppedball vs tactics, volume vs accuracy. if nothing i have started a conversation.:D hopefully not a fight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Avose

I was honking exactly the same thing yesterday. I would love to do his but I'm on airsoft with a sweet M4. So we have 2 airsofters and no paiintballers... Well hopefully somebody will come along from the other side and agree.

Ps Airsoft is better cause it looks better, is more accurate and isn't as xpensve :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

I can't see it happening my self, too many people will let their ego's get in the way and it will end in tears... on both sides.

For starters, ALL airsofters will have to wear proper paintball masks for a start, would they? Also, paintballers are trained not to count bounces as a hit, so unless there is a mark of paint, no body will call them selves out.

Avose wrote: »
    Ps Airsoft is better cause it looks better, is more accurate and isn't as xpensve :D
    Oh no..... not one of them people. If any more of that kind of stuff is posted here, then you will get a ban. Read the sticky!:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055781583

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

For starters, ALL airsofters will have to wear proper paintball masks for a start, would they? Also, paintballers are trained not to count bounces as a hit, so unless there is a mark of paint, no body will call them selves out.

actually in airsoft rickoseas excuse my spelling or bounces dont count either and a lot of people in airsoft use full face masks with plastic cover essentially paint ball mask and i could see it happen it would also settle an old score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭ion c

No, just no.

And for you're consideration...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10901795

actually in airsoft rickoseas excuse my spelling or bounces dont count either and a lot of people in airsoft use full face masks with plastic cover essentially paint ball mask and i could see it happen it would also settle an old score

Just to clarify, when I say bounce, in paintball that means when a paintball directly hits a person but does not break. It 'bounces' off them. I could get shot 10 times in a row from a long distance, but unless the paintball actually breaks and leaves a mark, then it does not count. So there you have the first problem, a paintballer could get hit with 1,000 bb's and if there is no paint they s/he will play on.

Rickoshea's dont happen really in paintball as they would break if they hit a wall or something first.

Secondly, the masks will have to be paintball masks, and only proper paintball masks. i.e. full face. Paintballs have around 13Joules of energy as they leave the barrel compared to sub 1J of a bb, hence, unless the mask is designed to take a paintball hit, then is dangerous and will not be allowed to be used.

Also, I can't speek for airsofters, but paintballers are very safety concious. As well as the masks, all markers ( guns) have a barrel sock on the placed them when a game is not one. This is mandatory to ensure that no paintballs are accidental fired when games are not on and people have their masks off. Unless airsofters have similar practices to ensure that there are no accidental firing of guns, then I, and many other paintballers would feel pretty anxious about being around an airsoft gun that is not blocked while I have my mask off..... but that is just me. Safety first.

Finally, this idea of a score to settle a dead one. Paintball and airsoft are two different sports. All though they may look similar to the layperson, they are two different animals and the thoughts of one being better than the other in this day and ago is old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Airsoft hits are counted when a BB strikes you and you feel it. Theoretically a bounce shot cannot exist in airsoft. A bounce shot being defined as a BB / Paintball that hits a player, they feel it and then bounces away.

In Paintball a bounce shot can exist because as ditpaintball said the paintball must break and leave a paint mark to be counted.

And about accuracy, nope wrong again. Paintball guns, i.e. tournament guns are about 4 times as accurate as airsoft guns. I have a video somewhere we did with some airsofters, on good terms by the way! Basically because a paintball is heavier and has thirteen times more energy behind it, it will not be affected, as much, by windage etc like a light BB. As such a paintball will go further, hit harder and be accurate all at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

I've tried both sports and I have to say they both have their merits.
    I definately wouldnt say one is better then the other.

I dont see it working myself, putting 2 teams up against each other.
    For starters the advantages airsofters have in stealth and tactics they are used to would be rendered useless on most paintball sites.

- Just to get off thread for a minute. I have a pretty good airsoft gun , its my own kit and its well minded, ungraded etc.
    I've only ever played with site rentals from paintball sites and lets face it most of that kit is well trashed by punters.
    I think airsofters presume their aeg's are more accurate because like me, most havent used the good kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭okeanes

lads i have to say i dissagree paintballing wasent fun for me when i rented out one for my cusins birthday . not accurate and all the guns look ugly .and you cant wear nice camo as it will get wrecked with paint playing .

airsofting is safe . there are many different sites which enforce different rules the most safety precausious site ive played in is vacant with great marshalls and safety rules .

as the guns are 1:1 scale models of their exact counterparts they all have . 1 safety mode . 2 semi auto . 3 full auto . mags are beeter more realistic can hold more ammunation.

at the end or before the beggining of any airsoft match you must 1 . leave out the mag and 2 have youre gun on safe .

and the paintballers would take the bb as a hit and if not they would be made take the hit as many players would make them cry by shooting them full auto for long periods of time .

i would play but im not getting paint on my cloths and i dont have the right mask but lads . see our point of view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just for the sake of a balanced argument, I've played a good bit of paintball and only recently some airsoft. Both have their merits as said.
    not accurate and all the guns look ugly .and you cant wear nice camo as it will get wrecked with paint playing .

Your were playing with site rental guns. So on the accuracy front you can't compare it. Think about the difference between your own AEG vs a rental. Completely different. A tournament paintball marker (They're called markers, not guns) is vastly more accurate than an airsoft gun. Mainly due to the weight, size, barrel boring and muzzle power. I shot a tournament marker against an an extremely expensive airsoft sniper. At 100ft, my grouping was a good 6+ inches better than the sniper. Thats quite a lot when you consider hitting a player at distance.

You can wear camo by the way. Paintballs are non staining and comes straight out. I wear army surplus and its never been an issue.

airsofting is safe . there are many different sites which enforce different rules the most safety precausious site ive played in is vacant with great marshalls and safety rules .

Paintball is very safe. Globally I think its safer than golf and snow boarding, and by numbers (Depending on who you talk to) more people play or have played paintball than snow boarding.
    as the guns are 1:1 scale models of their exact counterparts they all have . 1 safety mode . 2 semi auto . 3 full auto . mags are beeter more realistic can hold more ammunation.

Agree with you there. Airsoft guns are more realistic. But you can get MilSim paintball markers which are very good (Obviously not 1:1 but look the part) Tournament markers can shoot full auto but most tournament rules limit the player to 10 to 15 balls per second. You could counter argue though that a real gun won't have 450 rounds (Like a HiCap Airsoft Mag) so full auto is cheating to some degree on realism.

and the paintballers would take the bb as a hit and if not they would be made take the hit as many players would make them cry by shooting them full auto for long periods of time .

Sorry mate, your well off the mark on that one. A paintball has about 13 joules of energy behind it. I barely felt a BB hit while wearing the paintball gear (Which by tournament regulations is limited to two layers, one of which is your jersey) so theres no hiding from a hit. Also in tournament paintball, you can shot someone pretty much point blank (Called Bunkering) and its a legal move.

Not trying to sound like a hard man, but I'd imagine an air softer would be flattened by a paintball hit, not the other way around.

Glad to see you've tried both sports but I would strongly urge you to play "proper" paintball before making a full decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭okeanes

ironclaw wrote: »
    Just for the sake of a balanced argument, I've played a good bit of paintball and only recently some airsoft. Both have their merits as said.

Your were playing with site rental guns. So on the accuracy front you can't compare it. Think about the difference between your own AEG vs a rental. Completely different. A tournament paintball marker (They're called markers, not guns) is vastly more accurate than an airsoft gun. Mainly due to the weight, size, barrel boring and muzzle power. I shot a tournament marker against an an extremely expensive airsoft sniper. At 100ft, my grouping was a good 6+ inches better than the sniper. Thats quite a lot when you consider hitting a player at distance.

You can wear camo by the way. Paintballs are non staining and comes straight out. I wear army surplus and its never been an issue.

Sorry mate, your well off the mark on that one. A paintball has about 13 joules of energy behind it. I barely felt a BB hit while wearing the paintball gear (Which by tournament regulations is limited to two layers, one of which is your jersey) so theres no hiding from a hit. Also in tournament paintball, you can shot someone pretty much point blank (Called Bunkering) and its a legal move.

Not trying to sound like a hard man, but I'd imagine an air softer would be flattened by a paintball hit, not the other way around.

QUOTE .

ok first of all from 100 feet a zeroed out sniper with a zero 'od out scope would easily be more accurate than a 1000 euro top end marker and played paintball the hits dident hurt more than a airsoft grenade in cqb . a hear if i spent 100 euro on camo i wouldent be going any where near paintball i dont care if it said it can wash out in the fabric . you can play point black airsoft its called cqb and its the coolest . ok most aeg rentals are very good played with a rental bout 4 months ago then bought a brand new aeg . the only difference is the range and power all the guns are acurate for 70 meters .

the only thing i likie about paintball is you can see when and where you hit someone

• Advertisement

This argument has been done to death and its pointless. They are not really similar enough to be easily compared. Each to their own.

Thread Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement