Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

05 Opel Vivaro Steering Rack issue/problem

• 05-08-2010 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

hows all,

so there i was driving around for the last few weeks, with an odd knock noise when i went in to a pot-hole or over a ramp. I said to myself, droplink or wishbone or something. so I pass a opel garage everyday and decided to bring it it and put it on the lift.. . .and this is what i was told. .

""ah ya, theres a bit of play on both sides of the steering rack, now that part though is €1,100 excluding the VAT and the Labour, sher see what ya want to do".

1. what is a steering rack?. . .lol excuse me.

2. is it ok to take a laxy dazy attitude with it?. i mean asked him could i drive it and he said well sher take it away "i mean u might get a second hand part". he didnt say . .oh G's no, you cant drive that on the road.

3. surely to god i can fix it for less than half the whole van is worth. . lol

I dont mind something like, power steering goes and im left tugging for dear life on corners. I dont mind indicators going and having to use hands.. . . . what i dont want is to turn the wheel left and for the van to go straight in to a wall. . .

Mechanics help or someone in the know could calm my nevers a bit, about driving until i get a part.

thanks all
    Cheers

SWB
    133k Kms on clock. . and yes GB done at 85K before i bought it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭country home

bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭shanemc1

1. what is a steering rack?. . .lol excuse me.

Simplifying it a steering rack transmits motion from the steering wheel to the wheels themselves. When power steering is fitted it also multiplies the force of the turning.

2. is it ok to take a laxy dazy attitude with it?. i mean asked him could i drive it and he said well sher take it away "i mean u might get a second hand part". he didnt say . .oh G's no, you cant drive that on the road.

If your mechanic is satisfied its ok for the min then it should be ok. It should be obvious to him if it's going to fail catastrophically. The biggest issue you might have is a sloppiness in handling.

3. surely to god i can fix it for less than half the whole van is worth. . lol

You should be able to get a used one for less than €200. Second hand isn't the ideal fix but once it is in good shape it will be cheaper in the long run than a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭country home

shanemc1 wrote: »

If your mechanic is satisfied its ok for the min then it should be ok. It should be obvious to him if it's going to fail catastrophically. The biggest issue you might have is a sloppiness in handling.

Ok, thats ok.

but the one thing i keep thinking since he told me is, i dont have any handling issues at all, i feel no trimmers in the wheel, nothing.

and im thinking also to myself, "i went in with a knocking noise, and i come out with been told that theres a bit of play in the steering rack". . .

for me this is not adding up. . . small part of me thinking of second opinion, esp after reading your comment on steering, i notice nothing. it steers fine, even tight turns, parking etc. . .

Advertisement