Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much maintenance is fair to ask for?

Options
  • 05-08-2010 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi. Gist of my situation is that i am a single mum. the father of my child wants absolutely nothing to do with him but has said he will offer some financial help. he doesnt want it to go to court etc etc and has asked me to tell him a reasonable amount and he will see what he can do. he has another family (i didnt know this when we were togethar by the way!) and works a normal 9-5 job. not a rich man or so he has told me countless times.

my question is, what would be a reasonable amount? child is 3 months old and i am due back to work soon but i only work part time. any advice be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Calucate the cost of the child per anum divide by 12 to get per month and then by 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Thaed, with respect, that's a very simplistic view of what maintenance costs - would that we would all be that pragmatic with a 3 month old!!

OP, will your child be in creche while you go back to work? It's good to keep a positive relationship with your ex, at any stage, but in my experience, and alot of others I know personally, doing this legally from the start can be the best option. Things can often become difficult with ex partners (men or women), and to have some legal support when this happens, can be a good thing. I don't mean to sound negative here, but you do need to be aware of possibilities.

Calculate the cost of creche fees (if there are any), calculate the cost of nappies/baby food. Calculate the cost of clothes for baby. Medical costs incurred etc. Calculate a portion of the cost of your rent/mortgage/bills/phone etc.

In my experience, a minimum of 75euro a week is a good place to start, whether he is rich or not. Think of the amount of your wage that you spend directly on your child, and divide it in two.
    Best of luck OP, it can be a difficult road you are on (and I speak from experience), but a good relationship with your ex is a good starting point.

Advertisement