Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel damage charges

Options
  • 05-08-2010 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭

I made a group reservation via a third party website for a hotel, one of the rooms was damaged which I didn't personally stay in. All of the other people signed their names , addresses etc against the rooms they were staying in.
    I'm I still liable for the damage and should incur the cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Did you pay for all the rooms with your credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

No they all paid cash upfront themselves

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

vangoz wrote: »
    No they all paid cash upfront themselves

Did you book it on your credit card?

Most hotels require that you book with a credit card so that in the event of damage the credit card will incur the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Did you book it on your credit card?

Most hotels require that you book with a credit card so that in the event of damage the credit card will incur the bill.

Yep booked on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Your credit card is the only means available to the hotel for recouping the damages. Your best bet is to get the individual who damaged the room to contact the hotel and accept the liability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

hmmmm whenever I booked a hotel online, the credit card was used for a deposit or else they could take the money if I didn't turn up. It is never been said that its a deposit for damage and I have usually been asked for a swipe of my credit card at arrival to ensure damage etc is paid for. I wonder what rights the hotel has for taking money from your card for this especially as the 3rd party company is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

my take on this would be quite simple, you made the booking with the hotel, therefore you entered in to a contract with the hotel (via a third party).

Therefore you are responsible for any subsequent damage.

I have been on many lads weekends and stag parties and I would never ever block book rooms on anyone's behalf as I know what can happen.

Each and every man for himself when it comes to booking.

It would be worth your while explaining this to the hotel and get them to charge the appropriate person before it is too late. More than likely they will be happy to charge the guilty party if they can identify them, but what will probably happen is that they will charge the card on the booking to make things easier.

Once the charge has gone through you will then be facing an uphill battle to get your money back from either the hotel or your mate !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How much are we talking about? Less than a hundred, or lots? I'm taking it was lots. If so, tell your mate that either a) he pays for it, or b) you'll give the hotel his details, and let them bring him to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

the_syco wrote: »
    How much are we talking about? Less than a hundred, or lots? I'm taking it was lots. If so, tell your mate that either a) he pays for it, or b) you'll give the hotel his details, and let them bring him to court.

The hotel most likely will just deduct the fee from his CC even if he gives the hotel his details - as he is the one legally responsible for the bill and they don't want any messing.

I'd say first port of call would be to your mate, and if he is one he should have no problem accepting responsibility for the damage and paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kevin! wrote: »
    The hotel most likely will just deduct the fee from his CC even if he gives the hotel his details - as he is the one legally responsible for the bill and they don't want any messing.

I'd say first port of call would be to your mate, and if he is one he should have no problem accepting responsibility for the damage and paying for it.
    You have a valid point. Try to get an itemised bill from the hotel, to ensure that what is broken was actually broken, and that the hotel is not trying to get "free stuff replaced".

• Advertisement
Advertisement