Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run Sub 40 mins 10 K in 3.5 months

Options
  • 05-08-2010 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭

I am 38, 6’2’’ and about 11 ¾ stone. I used to train competitively in cross country and middle & long distance on the track throughout my teens up till the age of 19. Drink and late nights took over. I have not done much exercise over the years except for walking about an hour a day to and fro college, cycle occasionally to and fro college, and the odd game of football.

Ok, I am looking to race 10 Km in late November (3 ½ months), and would be aiming for sub 40 minutes.

I have taken up running this week, and have done 15 minutes, 15 minutes, 18 minutes and 28 minutes runs at a comfortable pace on the road. My breathing after yesterday’s run was comfortable and I felt strong. I am going to steadily build up the distances for the first month or so. This will be 6 days a week on either grass or road. Cross training using my mountain bike may be an option as well.

I will then start picking up the tempo and including some speed endurance sessions after that. In the third month I will be looking to do some shorter speed sessions.

Anyway here is my question: Would anybody know of any gym programme (weights, conditioning or circuit training) that I could do in the first two month or so to coincide with my distance sessions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Can you run 10k at the mo? If so - time yourself and based on your time it could be a realistic target or next to impossible to achieve by November. Really depends on your fitness.

Your in Limerick aren't you? Every tue eve at 6.45 on the outdoor track there is a track session. Open to all and there is always a good group of all levels there. Run by Joe Chawke of West Limerick AC. Doing speed sessions like that would be good to do to reach your goal too.

Check out mcmillan running calculator and you can pop in a time there for a certain distance and it will throw you a guesstimate at what you should be able to run various distances at your current pace.

also - look at a plan maybe. Halhidgeon.com has plans for 10k disances that you could follow- give you a bit of structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Hi there

Yes I'm in Limerick. I'm going to wait for another while (month or more) before I'll decide to do a time trial for 10 km.

I have done five sessions so far: 15 mis, 15 mins, 18 mins, 28 mins and 40 mins. Going to spend over a month working on my long (slow to medium pace) runs.

I be interested in attending the sessions on the track in about 6 weeks time.

Cheers

Thats me Ray Mc No 191

Front LHS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Hows the training going?

• Advertisement

Its going well thank you. Usually most of my runs are between 40 minutes and an hour. Some at steady pace and others with picking up the pace significantly for the last few miles.

Have done a couple of fartlek sessions as well.

Mostly on the road tho and a few times on the grass. Decided to run a section of a couple of my runs this week on the outside lane of the running track here in UL.

Will need to get running on the grass more often to prepare for the cross country. So will meet up with Willy Logan and his athletes on Saturday morning. Got to buy a pair spikes for that.

Got to register for Limerick AC soon, so may hand the form to Liam Reale when I see him.

There is a 5 mile run in UL on December the 10th, so will give that a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

If you dont feel your upto a 10k TT at the moment you could try a mile or 3000m then stick in the details in to http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

It'll give you a decent idea of where your at, at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

Ahh did'nt read the date...ignore!

airscotty wrote: »
    If you dont feel your upto a 10k TT at the moment you could try a mile or 3000m then stick in the details in to http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

It'll give you a decent idea of where your at, at the moment.

Thanks. Yes I could slot in a time trial of a few Km in the next couple of weeks.

Advertisement