Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tour of Poland

• 05-08-2010 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Anybody watching the Tour of Poland?

Was a pretty good stage today with
    Dan Martin taking the stage win and the overall lead.

Highlights on Eurosport tonight at 9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

I've just found out that the spoiler thing doesn't work if you hover over the thread title to see what the first post is about:mad:

Since this is vbulletin, is there any chance the mods would turn on the show/hide spoiler thing, instead of just having it greyed out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,312 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Guybrush T wrote: »
    I've just found out that the spoiler thing doesn't work if you hover over the thread title to see what the first post is about:mad:

For this reason stage-specific threads should be named appropriately and first posts should avoid spoilers, regardless of tags.
    Guybrush T wrote: »
    Since this is vbulletin, is there any chance the mods would turn on the show/hide spoiler thing, instead of just having it greyed out?

Mods don't control vBulletin settings, we are but humble footsoldiers. That would be an Admin thing. Perhaps try posting in Site Development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Teriffic win for the young man. A great talent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Heard it on RTE radio this morning, fantastic performance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Heard it on RTE radio this morning, fantastic performance
    Don't recall hearing anything on newstalk this morning :( They were full of news on Nico during the TdeF though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

heard it on rte radio as well, kenmc servers you right for listening to newstalk, anyway i'm off to france in the morning. :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Watched it last night. Great win by Martin. Savage attack. He just took off and nobody could go with him. Really committed and he didn't seem to let up at all. That cadence he was spinning must be lung bursting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

kenmc wrote: »
    Don't recall hearing anything on newstalk this morning :( They were full of news on Nico during the TdeF though.

Ya the usual the media is all about Nico which is a shame

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Does anyone seriously expect the Tour of Poland to get the same coverage as the Tour de France?

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    Does anyone seriously expect the Tour of Poland to get the same coverage as the Tour de France?

Obviously not but it could do with a mention. Martin had a great Giro and not a mention of him during it.

Media falling all over Roche, who is a class act, but there are other riders too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Lads it took over an hour after the 5th stage finished for ToP to get a thread on here.
    It was mentioned on Net2 News last night
    Wysokosciówka Etap 6 | OŚWIĘCIM – TERMA BUKOWINA TATRZ. | 228,5 km
    wysokosciowka_etap_6_m.jpg

Todays stage for those of you who have missed EdIs daily posts from the TdF:D

Roche didn’t get a mention for his Giro or Vuelta stints either. Sport Cycling is a hugely minority sport in this country and the only race that ever gets any attention is the TdF. Even with no Irish participation it got more coverage. We should be thankful we have people like Roche getting any positive coverage at all rather than begrudging him, and the sport

Regardless, in no way should newstalk be seen as the barometer.

Shane Stokes has a nice piece in the Irish Times today, and the Indo have it as a “sport in brief” bit.

NickDrake wrote: »
    Obviously not but it could do with a mention. Martin had a great Giro and not a mention of him during it.

Media falling all over Roche, who is a class act, but there are other riders too.

It's not like Martin is being ignored. Plenty of press aobut him today. Just because Newstalk doesn't pick up the Tour of Poland doesn't mean the media only pay attention to Nicolas Roche.

Who is begrudging Roche???? He is a ledgend.

What else would you epxect from the Indo? Shocking paper and a tabloid and I always have no respect for its readers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I always have no respect for its readers.

Dont worry im sure they have no respect for you too. As usual you havent a positive word to say at all, you look at everything from the glass half empty perspective.

Personally im glad to hear anything at all on any of the stations/papers etc. Different papers and different stations cater for different audiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

half the country is Polish, you'd think they could give Ireland one stage at least?:D

Lol at this bit of the commentary:
    "blah blah blah Stephen Roche blah blah blah Nicholas Roche blah blah blah John Gadret":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

Whatever about the comparisons with Roche, what did annoy me was that on the RTE lunchtime news there was no mention of Daniel Martin yet they were happy enough to talk to Cian O'Connor who made a show of the country!

emtroche wrote: »
    Whatever about the comparisons with Roche, what did annoy me was that on the RTE lunchtime news there was no mention of Daniel Martin yet they were happy enough to talk to Cian O'Connor who made a show of the country!

Cian would have plenty of connections with RTE

• Advertisement

Cian would have plenty of connections with RTE

Yeah i know. That sort of thing bugs me sometimes. One big happy family in there! I wonder could somebody contest the payment of a tv licence over a lack of clarity in the recruitment procedures and the decisions on whats worthy and unworthy of being broadcast?

Yeah i know. That sort of thing bugs me sometimes. One big happy family in there! I wonder could somebody contest the payment of a tv licence over a lack of clarity in the recruitment procedures and the decisions on whats worthy and unworthy of being broadcast?

I'm sorry! I know its friday! Just annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

All they said on last nights rte news was : dan martin won stage 5 of the tour of poland. Martin who is the nephew of stephan roche also leads.

During the TDF all they said was who won stage, where n roche came and where armstrong came.

lads let it go.

Any news from today. Looked a tough, tough day with plenty of up and downs in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

Dodge wrote: »
    lads let it go.

Any news from today. Looked a tough, tough day with plenty of up and downs in it.

Dan was 7th and holds lead by 8 secs

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Dan was .......

Perhaps one of the mods could put something in the thread title about spoilers, as the message does not seem to be getting through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Beasty wrote: »
    Perhaps one of the mods could put something in the thread title about spoilers, as the message does not seem to be getting through!

do you live in a box . i did not see yesterdays stage as i was working late , i got two texts about it and when i opened up google they had it .before i got to see the stage .

if you do not want to hear about it dont click a post about it.

the road marking are lethal , way do the teams not put a stop to this .

dan has two hard days left .

• Advertisement

jwshooter wrote: »
    the road marking are lethal , way do the teams not put a stop to this .

dan has two hard days left .

Only 1 day left. Should be a sprint but Bole is a good sprinter and will be looking for time bonuses

4864122324_5db13e072b_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Who knew that giant tortoises were native to Poland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Today's final Stage into Krakow - 163.9km including 3x4km laps of the city centre at the end. Dan Martin is only 8 seconds ahead of Grega Bole, and with 10, 6 and 4 second time bonuses at the finish, a 3 man breakaway winning the stage would be the best case scenario!

wysokosciowka_etap_7_m.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Who knew that giant tortoises were native to Poland.

thats a trouser snake.

Wheres the tortoise? :)

• Advertisement

good man dan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

well done dan, great stuff

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

good stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

God they were hairy looking conditions on those few laps. Nothing like an easy ride to the line for a tour win.:eek:

Well done to Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Well done Dan.

Conditions looked terrible.
    Great to see him take a big win

• Advertisement

Great win
    Does anyone know what this will do for rankings re the Worlds and the number of riders Ireland could send

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Those girls are hot.Congrats to Martin too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Ireland is getting tour winners again

it is the 80's isnt it

no jobs, no money,

but good cyclists :D

Esroh wrote: »
    Great win
    Does anyone know what this will do for rankings re the Worlds and the number of riders Ireland could send

Not sure how it affects the worlds but we get 100 points for the overall win, and 6 points for the stage win.

Without checking all the results I think that brings us up to 16th (from 21st) - past Denamrk, Estonia, new Zealnd, Norway and the Cech Republic. We'd be 12th ranked european nation. Dan shoots into top 40 with his first points of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Shock, Horror but RTE News actually mentioned another bike race other than the Tour or Ras. Also lead headline on Aertel!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

Dodge wrote: »
    Not sure how it affects the worlds but we get 100 points for the overall win, and 6 points for the stage win.

Without checking all the results I think that brings us up to 16th (from 21st) - past Denamrk, Estonia, new Zealnd, Norway and the Cech Republic. We'd be 12th ranked european nation. Dan shoots into top 40 with his first points of the year

denmark will pull in a bunch of points thru breschel and fuglsang in their home tour.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Shock, Horror but RTE News actually mentioned another bike race other than the Tour or Ras. Also lead headline on Aertel!

Only after the "more important" stuff like New Zealand against Australia in the rugby!!!

Anyway it was a great win and well deserved.

I loved it at the end when Harmon was asking who the last Irish or English rider to win a tour was. As he was sitting beside a scotsman!

ajk24 wrote: »
    denmark will pull in a bunch of points thru breschel and fuglsang in their home tour.

Yeah there'll be a rake of points going denmarks way. Hopefully we're in for a good vuelta though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I loved it at the end when Harmon was asking who the last Irish or English rider to win a tour was.

He couldn't just say 'last Irish rider'. Typical Brits having to have some sort of claim on our success.

SkyNews were the worst offenders during the Tour. They updated the 'leading British rider' every day. When Wiggins was out of contention it suddenly became 'best British or Irish rider' and Roche was obviously leading that.

velo.2010 wrote: »

Wonder will NickDrake will moan about now
    ajk24 wrote: »

Thats not part of the ProTour. You can see the full list here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_UCI_World_Ranking

The official scores are here (usually updated the week after races);
    http://www.uci.ch/templates/BUILTIN-NOFRAMES/Template3/layout.asp?MenuId=MTU2NzU&LangId=1

You can click on "Detailed gained points" on the top right and see how each rider gained those points.

• Advertisement
Advertisement