Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Date set for Higgins tribunal

• 05-08-2010 6:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Sept 7/8 are the two days set out for the tribunal that will bring an end to this unfortunate saga.
    All the evidence has been gathered, statements made and now it will be the independent body that will make a decision.
    From what I've heard from a few people in the game recently is that Higgins is confident that he will be cleared of the charge against him and will be able to resume his career in the game.

Some stories that have been doing the rounds are that the video evidence has been doctured and translations have been altered, another story is that 'the news of the world' are willing to retract some of the story that was published in return that Higgins does not sue them!

I hope that Higgins is cleared, and goes on to play to his high standard in tournaments again and in the meantime takes that rag of a paper to the cleaners

I have always backed him as innocent in this scandal, I just hope it doesn't have any lingering effect on the new season which has enjoyed a very positive start.

Other news:
    Ken Doherty won his qualifying match 5-4 against Fergal O Brien today and earns a spot in the first round proper of the Shanghai Open next month.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

zack01 wrote: »
    Some stories that have been doing the rounds are that the video evidence has been doctured and translations have been altered

I just find it strange he didn't use that in his public statement if true.

Don't get me wrong, the whole affair has been horrible & I'd love to see Higgins proved innocent, but his public statement at the time was more about being scared than actually disputing the content of the video.

Cheers for the update Zack :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Hopefully he will clear his name as he wanted to...I still feel that he will be made an example of, I honestly do think that he is looking at a ban. It's a shame as he comes across as a nice normal family man and he can pot one or two balls as well...

I wonder if it does go his way and he is alowed to play for the new season will he get booed, cheered or will there be silence for him when he enters an arena. That could be off putting for him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

Hopefully this whole mess is sorted out asap one way or the other. With snooker looking like its starting to turn a corner the last thing it needs is a long drawn out court affair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

he hasn't got a chance......he was caught by the bollix for the world to see and anyone who says otherwise is just delusional

btw - just out of interest did he make an appearance at the alex higgins funeral last week??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Innocent until proven guilty, believe me he has a very strong case and has every chance of resuming his career.
    Regarding the Higgins funeral, no he didn't attend, why would he, the day was all about Alex Higgins and not John Higgins. The press would have been all over him at the church.
    I'd be more bothered about the players that didn't attend and really should have, players such as Steve Davis, Ray Reardon, Terry Griffiths and mostly Dennis Taylor really let themselves down by not attending, especially when the likes of Mark Selby and Shaun Murphy attended who never even played in the same era as Alex Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

zack01 wrote: »
    players such as Steve Davis, Ray Reardon, Terry Griffiths and mostly Dennis Taylor really let themselves down by not attending, especially when the likes of Mark Selby and Shaun Murphy attended who never even played in the same era as Alex Higgins.

Maybe Dennis has an excuse considering the issues they had in 1990. Although I guess Dennis has got over all that. Only last month at Snooker legends Dennis was joking a bit about the time Alex threatened to have him shot. But the comments about his mother obviously hurt him.

I guess the older players left it to Jimmy, who was always the closest of the players to Alex wasn't he, and there was Ken, I saw John Virgo and Tony Knowles were at it too.

Advertisement