Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Normal for 2 and a half year olds?

• 05-08-2010 6:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

Just curious as to what is normal for 2 and a half year old boys (if there is such a thing as normal).

We have twins boys this age. One can count to 99 (which can get extremely tedious and messy when he decides to do it with toys), has known the alphabet for a long time now and can recognise quite a lot of words in books. Animals, food and vehicles mainly...no pictures obviously and not memorised as such as I have tried it with different sources. Also figured out within a day how to use a vtech laptop aimed at 4+s to get at the games he likes.

The other one cannot count beyond 2 and doesn't know any letters at all but can hold a full conversation with anyone which the other one cant really.

I find it really interesting to be honest that there is such a massive difference between the two of them when they have had largely the same experiences as we do everything with both of the together as much as possible. Anyone else out there with experience of twins who are SO different? To me it points to nature being much more important than nurture which I never really thought true before.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You could subconsciously be treating them a little differently. The most recent instalment of child of our time had twins on it who had very different personalities. It showed how the parents treated them each a bit differently and they in turn played up to the difference because they wanted to be recognised as individuals. It was really interesting. Both were great kids.

I think it's fantastic for twins to have different strengths and weaknesses. They obviously have a strong sense of "self".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Das Kitty wrote: »
    You could subconsciously be treating them a little differently.

There is that alright and of course it is unavoidable. And probably a good thing to encourage individuality.We are deliberately trying to make the "counter" spend more time playing with cars and things now and trying to gently encourage his brother to spend more time with books. But of course it ain't working as they both have their own interests now. The only activities which will hold their complete attention together is playing football and helping me cut the grass by holding onto the lawnmower as I push it around :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

just to say each child is different,

My lady could count, say abc's, knew all the colours and have a full scale conversation at 20 months.

my 2nd (a boy) had normal speech but could work our home pc at 24 months he would turn the computer on, log on to his own account, click the icon for Internet go into favourites and click on wither playhouse disney of Disney online games and play away for hours, he could then log off. he could work a Nintendo ds at 2.5 and got one for his 3rd birthday, he also played the ps2 and the ps3 (ratchet and clank) since he was 3. He has just gone 5 and goes onto facebook to play treasure island, farmville and yo ville . He also goes into the pcs games and plays chess and cards - but his not too good at it.

My 3rd (a boy) has speech and comprehension delay has been playing on the pc and can start it up go on to Internet and go on to favorites and play games on playhouse disney and disney online games since the age of 3 (he is now 3.5). we also got him sesame street games which they both go on to and play without any help at all. he has also gained interest in the Nintendo ds and plays mario brothers and toy story and all the lego games last week he was playing monkey buzzers and ratchet and clank. He is now kicking me off the computer so he can go on.

all kids develop at their own pace and will excel in certain areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Sorry had to finish it of on the iPod touch.

I take it your boys are not identical even if they were they would develop at their own pace and have their own likes and dislikes. At the end of the day they are individuals and will develop as such. Let each one excel in their area don't focus on their differences it's good to have own interests. I know none of mine are twins but at the end of the day being a twin means that you were conceived at the same time ( unless your identical)

Enjoy having 2 different personalities. I'm sure they will keep you on your toes.

Advertisement