Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer or Football

• 05-08-2010 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭

I am currently having this heated debate on Twitter.

Do you call it soccer or football???

I personally call this sport soccer, for which I get constant stick for on other forums, especially by english people.

if some one says football to me, I automatically think GAA like.

what are yer thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Fooball always refers to soccer for me, unless the context of the conversation means it might be confused.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

SarahBM wrote: »
    I am currently having this heated debate on Twitter.

Do you call it soccer or football???

I personally call this sport soccer, for which I get constant stick for on other forums, especially by english people.

if some one says football to me, I automatically think GAA like.

what are yer thoughts?
    Depends who I'm talking to actually my family aren't into GAA so it's football but if I'm talking to someone I know does follow GAA it's soccer less confusion that way :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Same as you Sarah.

To people I know well enough for them to know I'm talking about Football and not Gaelic, then it's football all the way.

To people I don't know, I call it soccer so they know I'm not playing Gaelic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Anyone who calls football soccer because of Gaelic is more into Gaelic then football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Football the GAA use their hands which imo does not make it football.:cool:

i throw the deathstare to anyone that calls the game soccer wheather thats the right term for the game i couldnt give a fcuk.

so tweet that:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Soccer. It will always be soccer to me. At best, I would call it "Association Football".

Gaelic Football is the only sport I would ever refer to as "Football"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I have many sleepless night's over this connundrum, Does it matter?

Obviously it does because I have seen some heated discussion on the topic here and elsewhere , Personally I can't understand anyone getting het up about either..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Football. I always say it and if someone says soccer I get annoyed.

The sport is called Association FOOTBALL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

major bill wrote: »
    Football the GAA use their hands which imo does not make it football.:cool:

i throw the deathstare to anyone that calls the game soccer wheather thats the right term for the game i couldnt give a fcuk.

so tweet that:D

Soccer players use their heads.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Anyone who calls football soccer because of Gaelic is more into Gaelic then football.

I couldn't disagree with that any more if I tried...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

If you get annoyed about people calling it soccer then you hae little to be worrying about.

Depends on the people, to Dubs(cousins and friends) I'd cal it football, 'cos they do, but to my friends from Laois I'd call it soccer, 'cause I couldn't be bothered with the inevitable "English cúnt" comment.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

football
    i call gaelic football either gaelic or gaa but not G.A.A, call it gaa

The Muppet wrote: »
    Soccer players use their heads.

a large percentage of the sport is played with your FEET in GAA its a much smaller percentage!

plus im from dublin so its the norm to refer to game here as football and Gaelic football as gaa if i said soccer in me local boozer id be shot ha

football
    i call gaelic football either gaelic or gaa but not G.A.A, call it gaa

Is Gah the term you're looking for?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Im actually more into soccer, and it just winds me up when people pick on me for calling it soccer.
    so what if I call it something different like, ye still know what Im on about!

where as if you say football to me, I just thing of gaelic and might not realise you are talking about "association football" or what ever.

still makes for a fun debate though ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

mars bar wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree with that any more if I tried...

Why? Would you have to call the sport soccer if it meant you got confused with the Gah version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Its football and I would be one of those English people correcting people.

Its laughable to call GAA football when the aim is to get the ball into your hands as soon as possible. Same applies to American football, they rarely kick the ball during a game and its all done through the hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its football, the clue is in the name.

but why is it such a big deal if I call it soccer, like so many other people I know. in fact, most people I know call it soccer.
    "monday night soccer" on RTE, for example, if you changed it to "monday night football" how many people would tune in because they think its about Gaelic Football?!?! day get me???
    Im not saying English people should call it soccer (even though SSN have Soccer Saturday), but just dont have a barney when I call it soccer.

Why? Would you have to call the sport soccer if it meant you got confused with the Gah version?

Because you are saying that someone like me, who dislikes Gaelic Football, is more interested in that game because I'd call football soccer to people who wouldn't have much of an interest in the game. That's not true at all.

Our town is a GAA town first and foremost and a soccer town second. Hence why I call it soccer unless I'm with people on the same wavelength as me!

For the record, I couldn't care less what it was called and I wouldn't pick on anyone about what they call it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Football is football, Gaelic football is bogball.

SarahBM wrote: »
    but why is it such a big deal if I call it soccer, like so many other people I know. in fact, most people I know call it soccer.
    "monday night soccer" on RTE, for example, if you changed it to "monday night football" how many people would tune in because they think its about Gaelic Football?!?! day get me???
    Im not saying English people should call it soccer (even though SSN have Soccer Saturday), but just dont have a barney when I call it soccer.

are you blond??? only messing i just find it cringeworthy people calling it soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Football. LOL yanks call it soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Football for me, soccer is for Americans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Soccer
    I think of GAA or American football when told football

Realy it depends on your location and what you are used to.
    What may seem normal to you will seem incredibly strange to somebody else but both are fine

People can say whatever they want with these "are you blond?" comments

Finical wrote: »
    Football. LOL yanks call it soccer.

That's because one of the biggest sports in America is American Football, we are in a similar situation as our biggest/second biggest sport is Gaelic Football.

And did you really LOL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

baz2009 wrote: »
    That's because one of the biggest sports in America is American Football, we are in a similar situation as our biggest/second biggest sport is Gaelic Football.

And did you really LOL?
    Quite clear you're a hadcore Gaelic fan. Don't take it to heart. I just think its cringe when people call it soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Soccer usually, theres no confusion either when its soccer and im from a rural region so calling it football is just going to cause confusion. GAA-heads who insist it is to be called soccer or anyone who insists it be called Footbal are just knobs looking for an argument.

major bill wrote: »
    are you blond??? only messing i just find it cringeworthy people calling it soccer.

no Im not, and I wouldnt be offended by that comment anyway. :p

Baz is right though. Gaelic Football is bigger that "association football" therefore we call that football.
    not that difficult to get.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

I always call it soccer, no matter who I'm talking to. I don't really get annoyed if people call it football, why should I, both terms are equally valid. What does annoy me though is when British people mistakenly think that soccer is an American term, when its origins are based in England and it is as old as the game itself.

Football for me is definitely the term I use for Gaelic Football.

I suppose its what you get used to as a child and whether or not Gaelic Football had a big influence over you, which for me it did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Sktchr

I use Football....

Soccer sounds too American.

I call Gaelic "Gaa"....and depending who I am talking to, I can generally understand if they mean Gaa or "soccer" when they use the term "Football"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Soccer is a horrible word and I hate saying it. I resent this forum being called the Soccer Forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,018 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I have to admit I call is soccer most of the time and football sometimes.

I call the NFL football.:cool:

Finical wrote: »
    Quite clear you're a hadcore Gaelic fan. Don't take it to heart. I just think its cringe when people call it soccer.

See, I actually did LOL there.:D

I think it's "cringe" when people actually give a shít what other people say.:)

I always find it funny when Irish people get annoyed with the word "soccer". Gillete SOCCER Saturday and SOCCER A.M. are two of the most popular "football programmes in Britain :p

• Advertisement

I always find it funny when Irish people get annoyed with the word "soccer". Gillete SOCCER Saturday and SOCCER A.M. are two of the most popular "football programmes in Britain :p
    Soccer Saturday is just catchy alliteration tbh. Like Football Focus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I personally call it football, just because I prefer it, I refer to gaelic football simply as 'gaelic' and hurling as 'hurling'.

This said, I understand fully that the true accepted name for it is Soccer sprouting from the English themselves and not the Yanks as a lot of people percieve. As some have already pointed out Soccer comes from the words Assosication Football, and was donned as its new more common name a long time ago.

Voltwad wrote: »
    Soccer Saturday is just catchy alliteration tbh. Like Football Focus
    Fair enough, but for a nation who slag the yanks for "sawker" its funny that two so popular programmes have such titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I call it football. I hate the S word. I do refer to American Football as football a lot of the time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

its football to me and always has been

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I call it soccer.

Not sure why people call gaelic football GAA though? GAA is the association.

No one calls soccer FIFA or FAI.:pac:

flahavaj wrote: »
    I call it soccer.

Bit like how Soccer originated?

I call it soccer.

And there are no s's in either FIFA or FAI. Knew it wouldnt be long before our resident Vida hating Hurler loving Flah was here.

Its football :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    And there are no s's in either FIFA or FAI. Knew it wouldnt be long before our resident Vida hating Hurler loving Flah was here.

Its football :mad:

danshirtless.jpg

Quiet you or Dan will ate you.

danshirtless.jpg

:D

You are so country mate. In fairness I do love hurling, great to watch but im useless at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Soccer. Definitely.

When I hear football, I think GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

When I hear football, I never ever think GAA.

I use soccer and football interchangeably, the terms are equally valid and it's not worth getting worked up over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Always football, if there's a need to clarify I'll stick either association or real in front of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Let's let youtube decide what deserves to be called 'Football' and what deserves to be called 'Soccer'...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement