Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer or Football

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Football and nothing but Football and tough if the GAA types don't like it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

football+handegg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Love saying "handegg" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Soccer always for me.

Is it not usually the way when one country has a domestic or national game called football that they call football, soccer.

In America, they have American football...therefore that particular sport gets called football by the majority.
    In Australia, they have Aussie Rules...therefore that particular sport gets called football by the majority.
    In Ireland, we have Gaelic football...therefore that particular sport gets called football by the majority.

It is not in most cases meant to be taken as being offensive just that there is another sport that is unique to a particular country and gets preference when using the term "football" by the people in that country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

It is not in most cases meant to be taken as being offensive just that there is another sport that is unique to a particular country and gets preference when using the term "football".

Why do the national games by default have to be called football? theres a game there already by that name so why does football get changed to soccer?

so they got soccer from assoc football, why not just called gaelic football gaeball and leave football as it is?

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Why do the national games by default have to be called football? theres a game there already by that name so why does football get changed to soccer?

Association Football just defined rules before many of the other codes of football.

Does not mean it was around before any of them.

There was loads of different sorts/types of rules of games that were played in different regions and parts of the world that went by the name of football just that the FA defined rules before the rest.

Does not give it the automatic right to be called football before any of them.

And it was the English who coined "Soccer" from the name Association Football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Football i.e I support SRFC not SRSC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Always football unless the conversation dictates that I have to distinguish between Gaelic football and association football. In which case, rvern though I don't like GAA, I just seek conversational clarity, not point-scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,018 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

curry-muff wrote: »
    I personally call it football, just because I prefer it, I refer to gaelic football simply as 'gaelic' and hurling as 'hurling'.

This said, I understand fully that the true accepted name for it is Soccer sprouting from the English themselves and not the Yanks as a lot of people percieve. As some have already pointed out Soccer comes from the words Assosication Football, and was donned as its new more common name a long time ago.
    The true name for it is Association Football.

Funny that you call hurling 'hurling':pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Can a mod add a poll please?

It's football for me, soccer for most GAA heads.

L'prof wrote: »
    Can a mod add a poll please?

It's football for me, soccer for most GAA heads.

It's not just "GAA heads"

People who like GAA enjoy other sports just as much too and that includes football (association football) and call it soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Football

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

i call soccer football and gaelic fupple in the true bogger manner

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Usually football, unless speaking with people who know another type of football in which case, 'soccer'.

I hate when people call Gaelic Football 'GAA' or 'gah'. It's like calling Rugby 'IRBU' or athletics 'IOC'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I call it football.

I'm from Kilkenny. What is this Gaelic football you speak of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

What forum is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

In a lot of other languages it's called the equivalent of football (Fussball, futebol, voetbal, футбол). Soccer will always have an American ring to it for me.

Gaelic Football is a horribly uninteresting game to watch. Pushing & pulling & shoving & hitting & kicking and...ah...sometimes there's also a ball involved which is handled more often than anything else....

Fussball it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,446 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Soccer always for me.

Is it not usually the way when one country has a domestic or national game called football that they call football, soccer.

In America, they have American football...therefore that particular sport gets called football by the majority.
    In Australia, they have Aussie Rules...therefore that particular sport gets called football by the majority.
    In Ireland, we have Gaelic football...therefore that particular sport gets called football by the majority.

It is not in most cases meant to be taken as being offensive just that there is another sport that is unique to a particular country and gets preference when using the term "football" by the people in that country.

Even in Australia in depends on where you live.

In New South Wales and Queensland football is Rugby League
    In Victoria and South Australia football is Australian Rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Soccerball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It's football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

I hate when people call Gaelic Football 'GAA' or 'gah'. It's like calling Rugby 'IRBU' or athletics 'IOC'.

How is calling Gaelic Football 'Gah' any different to calling Association Football 'Soccer'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

West Brits call it football whereas Padraig Pearse and true Irish people call it soccer.
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

SantryRed wrote: »
    It's football.

Yes it is.

And so is gaelic football, american football and aussie rules. Football is a generic term for all these and more.

Calling any of these just "football" when one or more of the others is also popular can be confusing, and is really just narrow minded.

Of course the Lords of Boards have made the only right and sensible decision.
    This is the soccer forum.

Some people don't like that, but they just have to SUCK IT UP :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Greyfox

SarahBM wrote: »
    I am currently having this heated debate on Twitter.

Do you call it soccer or football???

I personally call this sport soccer, for which I get constant stick for on other forums, especially by english people.

if some one says football to me, I automatically think GAA like.

what are yer thoughts?

I always call is football and use to hate the word soccer with a passion but now just dislike it a little bit as i've been forced into accepting this word and no longer correct people when they use it.

I grew up in Dublin where their was almost zero interest in GAA, playing football (soccer) every day and becoming a passionate supporter of the Premiership and watching match of the day where it was always called football. For me up until a few years ago when I was about 25 GAA almost never came into the conversation of my social circle, work, school or college (mainly because I use to dislike the sport) so soccer just doesn't sound right to me, it was always referred to as football. For me as I've spent my whole life calling it football so soccer is a word I find hard to get use to.

It will always be football to me and all my friends always call it football...things are different outside Dublin though, as my girlfriend from Cork keeps reminding me! The fact is if I say football outside Dublin people almost always persume I'm talking about Gaelic football and I have to use the s word in order for people to understand what sport I'm talking about, it's now happened so often that I've finally just started to accept it. In the same way as I grew up always calling it football I've learned that most country people grew up calling in soccer and when your the only Dub in a conversation with many country people it's just becomes too much hassle to not use the s word. I will always, always always call GAA, gaelic football though and NEVER EVER just football as this is completely wrong. I still don't like hearing the Americans say the word soccer as it always feels like their referring to a sport they know nothing about but I've finally realised that when country people say "soccer" they are not using a negitive word for the beautiful game.

I've spent so much time arguing that why should the most popular sport in the world be called something different in a minority of places and how can a sport where you use your hands be called football etc.. but sadly I've given up and just accepted that theirs far too many Irish people calling in soccer for it to ever change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

How is calling Gaelic Football 'Gah' any different to calling Association Football 'Soccer'?

Because Soccer is not the name of the Governing Body or whatever.

Otherwise our football would be called FAI or FIFA.

GAA are the boys up in Croke Park taking lots of money, praying for replays to bring in more money and bringing in ridiculous rules.

Gaelic Football and Hurling are the games played.

So yes, there is a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Football. As defined by the primary part of your body that is used. How GAA, which uses hands, could be defined as football is just absurd to me. Or American football, which barely ever uses feet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It is football. You can call it many things, indeed after certain Rovers defeats, I certainly have...but it is football.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm presuming it's pronounced 'gah' with a long A as in the pronuinciation of the abbreviation of the association, GAA as opposed to 'gay' as a shortened form of 'gaelic football', analogous to 'soccer' being derived from 'association football' (which is very different to 'Football Association').

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Association football is the real football as you use your foot to hit the ball :)

In Gah you use your hands also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Anyone who calls football soccer because of Gaelic is more into Gaelic then football.

I call it soccer and I prefer soccer to gaelic football. Anybody that calls football "Gaelic" is also annoying.

It just depends. The real name is association football so soccer or football are acceptable shortened versions.

• Advertisement

I call it soccer and I prefer soccer to gaelic football. Anybody that calls football "Gaelic" is also annoying.

It just depends. The real name is association football so soccer or football are acceptable shortened versions.

I usually call them both football and if I have to differentiate, which I rarely do in my circle of friends, I just say "not GAA" or "GAA".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Soccer wrecks my head. It's a made up phrase.

Anyone says football, I think football. Association football I can somewhat accept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

As opposed to non-made up words?:confused::confused:

Anyone says football, I think football. Association football I can somewhat accept.

It's an abbreviation more than a phrase picked out of the thin air though.

Each to their own, I just can't understand how anyone could get wound up about it though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So then any chance of a name change to the forum?

mike65 wrote: »
    So then any change of a name change to the forum?

Preferably!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

I'm presuming it's pronounced 'gah' with a long A as in the pronuinciation of the abbreviation of the association, GAA as opposed to 'gay' as a shortened form of 'gaelic football', analogous to 'soccer' being derived from 'association football' (which is very different to 'Football Association').

Association football gets its name from the from the Football Association as they were the ones who codified the rules and it was a term used to differentiate it from other forms of football. What's 'very different'? Both 'gah' and 'soccer' are terms derived from the names of the organising body which codified the rules to their respective games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

mike65 wrote: »
    So then any chance of a name change to the forum?
    I tried to start a poll on this months ago and it was shut :(

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

It's "football" and "Gaelic". "Soccer" doesn't even come into the equation.

American Football is so-called because you score by kicking the ball between the posts, just as you do in Gaelic (mostly) and in football. The fact that you use your hands for most of the sport is irrelevant. Many games where you scored in this manner were called football or variants thereof.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

It's "football" and "Gaelic". "Soccer" doesn't even come into the equation.

American Football is so-called because you score by kicking the ball between the posts, just as you do in Gaelic (mostly) and in football. The fact that you use your hands for most of the sport is irrelevant. Many games where you scored in this manner were called football or variants thereof.

No, it is not. I have not, nor will I ever call football "Gaelic". Same as I won't say Gah or Bogball or anything else. It has been and always will be Gaelic football.

The word soccer was actually first used by the English.
    The original word "soccer" actually comes from England, not USA, The term "soccer" appeared shortly after the game of football was invented, it was an abbreviation from "Football Association" (from assoc.) and it was a short, light form to describe the game. The man who invented this word was Charles Wreford Brown, who loved using the shortened words of formal names. Soccer, being that it was a shortened version of the real word and was a borderline slang during the earliest days of soccer, never gained popularity in England. But it was adopted by the Americans once the game was introduced to them, since the Americans used "football" to refer to American football, they decided to use "soccer" to call association football. And thus the term "soccer" is now known around the world as another word to describe football, especially in USA.

Given that like Americans, we have our own native game called football, soccer is used quite a lot by Irish people to make differentiation easier. You may call it football and Gaelic, but that hardly counts as binding for the rest of us.

You may call it football and Gaelic, but that hardly counts as binding for the rest of us.

And Vise Versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

I would call it soccer. Or as a great gael in my club calls it "excuse me football"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

We played a team from Kerry in the national cup a few years ago and they called it "ground gaelic"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Only Gah-heads call football anything other than football. End of.

CiaranC wrote: »

Read the thread coz that's simply not true.

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote: »

Gah-heads :rolleyes:

I never hear anyone ever referred to as a "football/soccer head".

It's as if it means enjoying GAA implies there is something wrong with you and people who do so like GAA and nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Used to only call it football but calling it soccer more often now as I'll sometimes refer to GAA or even Rugby League as "football".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

PHB wrote: »
    Football. As defined by the primary part of your body that is used. How GAA, which uses hands, could be defined as football is just absurd to me. Or American football, which barely ever uses feet.
    Not necessarily true, it is suggested that the original meaning of the word football was used to refer to games played on foot usually by peasants. As opposed to the games played by aristocrats - polo for example that is played on horseback. The term football didn't necessarily apply only to games where foot contacts with ball.

So soccer is slang derived from Association football much like Rugby became rugger, lets not blame the yanks. Be glad it didn't become asser :P

Also traditionally football is used for the most popular code of football played in a country, so here gaa gaelic football would be football and we use soccer to distinguish the game from Gaelic football. However that is changing. In some countries they have changed their national team to Football where previously it had been soccer for example Football Federation Australia (The Australian Soccer Association)
    Maybe eventually in Ireland the term soccer will eventually evolve into Football.

Personally I switch between, soccer, football and gaelic. If someone said there was a football match on I'd presume it was soccer but maybe that's because I'm used to people around me using the term football for soccer and gaelic for gaa.
    Having a 78 yo grandad from Dublin who followed shels and ireland all his life, watches all the gaa matches, golf, rugby, tennis, cricket and snooker, moved to Longford some years ago and became a ltfc supporter and used to be involved in local teams, he says "soccer" on occasion and that's good enough for me :D but never 'footie' never ever footie :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Also traditionally football is used for the most popular code of football played in a country, so here gaa would be football and we use soccer to distinguish the game from Gaelic football
    Um, association football is the most popular code of football played in Ireland

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement