Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer or Football

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

CiaranC wrote: »
    Um, association football is the most popular code of football played in Ireland
    Of course you are correct it all depends how you define 'football' ;)

Based on the definition I offered up Gaelic Football would be the most popular sport in Ireland and using the umbrella term of 'football' encompassing all the football games, Gaelic would be dominant in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Gaelic football is much olde than Soccer no? Dates back 1000 years I believe. Soccer was formed in 1992 when Rupert Murdoch launched Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

kerash wrote: »
    Of course you are correct it all depends how you define 'football' ;)

Based on the definition I offered up Gaelic Football would be the most popular sport in Ireland and using the umbrella term of 'football' encompassing all the football games, Gaelic would be dominant in Ireland.
    Im not really following you. More people play football (soccer, association football, the thing that happens in the FIFA world cup) than Gaelic football (the tay and hang sangwiches, rolling in the mud punching each other kind).

Ergo, by your rationale, football should refer to the former.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

kerash wrote: »
    Also traditionally football is used for the most popular code of football played in a country, so here gaa would be football and we use soccer to distinguish the game from Gaelic football.

:confused:

But there is only one code of football, it is called football, because that's what it is. GAA is not a code of football, it is two completely different separate 'sports'.

There is only one basketball, one cricket, one water-polo, one hurling, one football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

When I speak Irish its sacair
    when I speak English its football ;)

Crosáidí wrote: »
    When I speak Irish its sacair
    when I speak English its football ;)

We get it,you can speak Irish.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Within different cultures, words have different linguistic meanings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Im not really following you. More people play football (soccer, association football, the thing that happens in the FIFA world cup) than Gaelic football (the tay and hang sangwiches, rolling in the mud punching each other kind).

I'm not doubting you as regards numbers playing but can you provide a link?

Oh and your hang sangwiches remark is pathetic. Says more about you than anything else really.

Oh and your hang sangwiches remark is pathetic. Says more about you than anything else really.
    http://www.esri.ie/UserFiles/publications/20070223162340/BKMNINT178_Main%20Text%20Chapters%201-4.pdf

Nothing wrong with traditional GAA meals either laddo

Yeah I didnt type FACT at end of any of that cos I dont claim that is infact fact!
    However, I think Gaelic Football is considered the national sport of Ireland, the dominant and most popular code of football played in Ireland but maybe that's changed? I dont have the figures to quote.
    Do more people play soccer in Ireland?
    dfx- wrote: »
    :confused:

But there is only one code of football, it is called football, because that's what it is. GAA is not a code of football, it is two completely different separate 'sports'.

There is only one basketball, one cricket, one water-polo, one hurling, one football.
    I refer to the different games that may fall under the term 'football' the codes or the laws of their particular game. If we define football as any of the various games that revolve around a round or oval ball used by two teams on a field of play using various methods of propelling the ball into the opposing sides half.

GAA is not a code of Football it's the Gaelic Athletic Association but Gaelic Football has a code/set of rules/laws of the game, as does Rugby Football, American Football etc.

Though Gaelic Football and Association football are both termed as football, obviously they are different sports.

Maybe my understanding is incorrect but I'd call the different laws of games, the code.
    This is all only if you go with the system of defining all ground ball games as football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I think its clear that it depends where you are from and what you were raised with as to what you call the sport. but cant we just accept that some people call it soccer and some people call it football, and not make a big deal out of it.

Everyone I know calls it soccer, but perhaps that is because Gaelic Football is played more than soccer/association football down here.

and why was the poll shut down the last time someone posed this question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

You failed to mention that the GAA has double the membership % of soccer and that Gaelic football has double the spectator numbers than soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

As someone who watches both codes in equal amounts and with equal interest, I call it football. If I think there could be any confusion over codes then I will say either Gaelic football or association football to clear it up. If I fail to do this then someone will ask "what, Gaelic football?" and I'll say "no, association football." It's really not as big a problem as some might imagine.

Well I for one have learned that unbeknownst to myself I often call gaelic football - GAA.

Columbia wrote: »
    As someone who watches both codes in equal amounts and with equal interest, I call it football. If I think there could be any confusion over codes then I will say either Gaelic football or association football to clear it up. If I fail to do this then someone will ask "what, Gaelic football?" and I'll say "no, association football." It's really not as big a problem as some might imagine.

I have never EVER heard it called association football til I started this thread. ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

You failed to mention that the GAA has double the membership % of soccer and that Gaelic football has double the spectator numbers than soccer.

Is that spectator numbers for Irish soccer, or does it include those who watch other soccer leagues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

#15 wrote: »
    Is that spectator numbers for Irish soccer, or does it include those who watch other soccer leagues?

It's an Irish survey so therefore spectator numbers IN Ireland...as in going to games in this country.

Oh and you forgot the membership numbers again :rolleyes:

This is turning into a Soccer/Football/Whatever you want to call it Vs GAA thing.

Pointless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

:pac: oh whos a moany michael!!!!!

SarahBM wrote: »
    I have never EVER heard it called association football til I started this thread. ever.

blame facebook its known as association football on that aswell as soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I prefer Gaelic Football to Soccer. When I talk about it with my Irish friends I call it soccer. Just easier.

When I'm over in England of course I call it football.

It just is easier to call it soccer here. Don't really get the whole anti-soccer brigade. Just a name.

It's an Irish survey so therefore spectator numbers IN Ireland...as in going to games in this country.

Oh and you forgot the membership numbers again :rolleyes:

This is turning into a Soccer/Football/Whatever you want to call it Vs GAA thing.

Pointless!

What's with the hostility, I asked a genuine question:confused:

I didn't mention anything about membership numbers either:confused::confused:

You have mixed me up with someone else I think.

On another note, there is little point in judging the popularity of soccer/football based on games attended in Ireland. That is a dishonest method of judging its popularity, we all know how many people watch foreign leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

I dont watch Gaa so I call it football. People I know always think im talking about gaa which is annoying. When I was in the states I remember also being "corrected" saying thats its soccer and football is for american football. The game is played using a football using the foot whereas gaa and american football is played using the hands. Thats always my defense :p

Its doesnt bother me though what people call it, but it seems to bother people who call it soccer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I call it football. It's just what it's known as to me. I don't mind the term soccer. However one of those GAA fanatical types drinks in the pub I work in made a big deal out of it before and claimed calling it football is wrong as it can lead to confusion. So when speaking to him I use the term "soccer" or "local amateur football" depending on the sport as he seems opposed to being ambiguous...

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I call it football. It's just what it's known as to me. I don't mind the term soccer. However one of those GAA fanatical types drinks in the pub I work in made a big deal out of it before and claimed calling it football is wrong as it can lead to confusion. So when speaking to him I use the term "soccer" or "local amateur football" depending on the sport as he seems opposed to being ambiguous...

I'd be more inclined to say football to a person like that.

Tell him to fcuk off then put your size ten football boots up his hole:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I don't think people should cringe at it being called soccer. We're not English. There are two sports here called football so soccer avoids the ambiguity.
    I'd say some people cringe because they associate it with the yanks who don't attach as much importance to the sport but we have as much reason to differentiate with the word soccer as they do.

There's not really a point in arguing that GAA or American football shouldn't be called football because of the use of the hands, because they are called football, you're not going to change that.

I always think of football as soccer as I only have a slight interest in gaa (being a dub that interest has risen lately) but still sometimes call it soccer.

So why can't we just either word without the cringing and just all get along?;)

EDIT: I'm quite late with this post and I'd say my points have already been made numerous times. Good stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

To be fair I think the major issue association football fans have is that plenty of times this "issue" of confusion crops up it's from G.A.A. football fans who have no problem calling G.A.A. football "football" without any concern for the confusion they may be causing by using the same term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

To be fair I think the major issue association football fans have is that plenty of times this "issue" of confusion crops up it's from G.A.A. football fans who have no problem calling G.A.A. football "football" without any concern for the confusion they may be causing by using the same term.

It could possibly be that. It used to really grind my gears if I ever mentioned football and somebody (who had little or no interest in the sport) would pipe up and add "you mean soccer, don't you, not football?". It doesn't happen as often now and if it did, I think it would bother me less.

You link me to a 24 page report???

Laddo?? You just cant help it can you?

major bill wrote: »
    :pac: oh whos a moany michael!!!!!

Ya i tend to moan when supporters of a joke league with no support start that kind of patronising bull****, trying to have ago at sports that are vastly more supported than their own in this country. As a soccer fan myself i find it sad really.

• Advertisement

You link me to a 24 page report???

Laddo?? You just cant help it can you?
    Its on table 3.4 on page 22 chief. If you like I can come over to your house and read it out to you, I know some of you fellas struggle with the computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Ya i tend to moan when supporters of a joke league with no support start that kind of patronising bull****, trying to have ago at sports that are vastly more supported than their own in this country. As a soccer fan myself i find it sad really.

As a fan of football/soccer (I use both) and the Gaelic games, I find it sad that you're having a go at the LoI just because you're arguing with one supporter.

Next I'd like to debate which end of an egg should be cracked open. I say the larger end but friends of mine from "not around here" suggest the smaller end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Next I'd like to debate which end of an egg should be cracked open. I say the larger end but friends of mine from "not around here" suggest the smaller end.

Being diplomatic, I'd crack it around the middle.

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    Being diplomatic, I'd crack it around the middle.

:D

I assume you'll be hard boiling them then. Personally I think its mostly west brits that soft boil eggs. You can't get soft boiled eggs at LOI games.

Oh dear god I have created a monster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

How did you manage avoid it?!

Oh dear god I have created a monster.

So now you see...
    and why was the poll shut down the last time someone posed this question?

:D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

How often does this actually come up for people?

I seldom say soccer or football relating to the either. It doesn't come up. You talk about the liverpool game or the dublin game, or the Leeds match etc.

Do people actually go around saying 'did you see the football' to people who would be in any doubt about exactly what sport and game you mean?

It's the soccer forum, no confusion, it's not a term of derision it just clearly identifies the forum. MNS, Soccer Saturday, Soccer AM, Premiership Soccer Saturday etc etc etc.

Or do people turn on The Sunday Game or Up for the Match, thinking it must be LOI highlights?

copacetic wrote: »
    Up for the Match
    I had to google this to see what it was. Does it mean "Up [to Dublin] for the match"? :eek:

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    It's the soccer forum, no confusion, it's not a term of derision it just clearly identifies the forum.

Where could the confusion be coming from if named what the sport is called? The football forum. Simple...it can only be one sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Does anybody know the actual history of the word 'Soccer'?
    Football is the actual name of the sport if you travelled to Brazil or Asia and conversed with someone about this debate the would instantly fall on the Football side of the discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Football is the actual name of the sport if you travelled to Brazil or Asia and conversed with someone about this debate the would instantly fall on the Football side of the discussion.

"Soc" would be short for Association in this case and I have no idea where the "cer" came outta. It's possibly the worst abbreviation ever!
    I don't mind it though. It's there and it's staying whether people like it or not.

BTW, our Portuguese coach always calls it soccer. Dunno how that helps but thought I'd throw it out there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

It has been mentioned lots of times in the thread.
    The word soccer was actually first used by the English.
    The original word "soccer" actually comes from England, not USA, The term "soccer" appeared shortly after the game of football was invented, it was an abbreviation from "Football Association" (from assoc.) and it was a short, light form to describe the game. The man who invented this word was Charles Wreford Brown, who loved using the shortened words of formal names. Soccer, being that it was a shortened version of the real word and was a borderline slang during the earliest days of soccer, never gained popularity in England. But it was adopted by the Americans once the game was introduced to them, since the Americans used "football" to refer to American football, they decided to use "soccer" to call association football. And thus the term "soccer" is now known around the world as another word to describe football, especially in USA.

Given that like Americans, we have our own native game called football, soccer is used quite a lot by Irish people to make differentiation easier. You may call it football and Gaelic, but that hardly counts as binding for the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Was always soccer to me. We didn't have an organised soccer club, only Gaelic, so that was football.

Having said that, the kick around on the road or field was called football and that was definitely soccer!

When the season starts, it is soccer, until the All Ireland is over. More for differential purposes than anything else!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Always reminds me of this:

I really loved those naff pro evo songs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Soccer is short for 'Association Football'. Therefore there's nothing wrong with calling it soccer. That's what i've always called it, as i come from mainly GAA background. Soccer is the ball played on the ground and football is gaelic football. It really does depend from what walk of life one comes from though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Only Gah-heads call football anything other than football. End of.

Nothing wrong with traditional GAA meals either laddo
    I had to google this to see what it was. Does it mean "Up [to Dublin] for the match"? :eek:

Your trollery knows no bounds Sir!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

dfx- wrote: »
    Where could the confusion be coming from if named what the sport is called? The football forum. Simple...it can only be one sport.

What utter nonsense.

This is Ireland. There is more than one football - of course it would cause confusion.

Hence, this is the soccer forum. No confusion.

Plenty of whining, but no confusion!

• Advertisement

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    As a fan of football/soccer (I use both) and the Gaelic games, I find it sad that you're having a go at the LoI just because you're arguing with one supporter.

Certainly wasnt meant like that. Not having a go at the LOI per se but o find it oncredible that fans of same league can be so condescending towards other sports, considering the low appeal that the LOI has among the Irish sports public.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement