Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Stradbrook in Portlaoise like?

Options
  • 05-08-2010 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Im moving into an apartment in Stradbrook in about a months time.. Im renting it for the close proximity to the hospital and to the town centre. Can any of you guys please shed a light on what its like to live in the complex? Ive heard u cant have a sky dish up, so can I get Corus? And what are the people like etc.

Any comments welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Peter Walczak

I lived in Stradbrook for year and a half. I liked in there. I didn't make too many friends nor complain on the nieghbours. From my point of view, everyone minded their own business.
    The great advantage is underground parking and the fact the bins are included in rent. You just don't have to bother. I had the windows north, so there was no sun at all but I spend all days in Dublin anyway so I didn't mind.
    It's true you can't have Sky dish but you can ask for Sky via cable. I did so. I had to call Sky and some other crowd (can't remember their name but probably can look it up, if you wanted) and the run the signal.
    I had broadband from Eircom but I guess there also should be other options.
    However, there was one thing I hated about Stradbrook apartments the most. You don't have mobile coverage there at all. And I mean at all at least you're outside on the balcony. I moved out a year ago and perphaps that's changed, but I'm not sure.
    Generally speaking, I liked it there to that extent, that having spent year in different houses around Portlaoise I'm now thinking of moving back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Emeraldeyes

Ya I was given the form for the TV, something called Electroplus r something, the caretaker gave it to me. Well Im on Fairgreen at the mo, and sure u could fly into a mobile mast down here and still not get a connection so I wont be too put out by the non phone reception cause i never have it here anyways...

Thanks for the comment P, anyone else want to share any info?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Flynner64

Hi, I lived in Stradbrook for a year, moved out last January. I'd pretty much agree with the other poster, everyone keeps themselves to themselves, the parking is dead handy.

Downsides is definitely mobile reception, it's awful, and for broadband you'll need eircom as nothing else works.

I got burgled last October (whilst I was in bed sick!!!) they done me and the apartment below me, but they were caught on Micks CCTV, and were caught a few months later, and sent down. Other than that I found it a quiet complex and would recommend it

I had one of the corner apts so got a bit of sun in the morning, depending on which block you're in, you might get none, if I was you, I'd check out a few, as there is usually a choice of apts. I was paying €625 a month, but I'm sure it's cheaper now.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanfear

Looking to rent in Stradbrook, and wondering has the mobile reception improved, and what is the current internet situation? Be grateful if anyone could shed some light...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There are jammers used in the prison for mobile reception which are probably what are affecting Stradbrook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanfear

Thanks for that, it makes sense - of a sort! Any idea if the problem still persists?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭mamakitten

Stheno wrote: »
    There are jammers used in the prison for mobile reception which are probably what are affecting Stradbrook

I live much closer to the prison than Stardbook and have no issues with mobile reception, I think that was a bit of an urban rumour doing the rounds a few years ago ;)

Advertisement