Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice retaurant in Cork city?

Options
  • 05-08-2010 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

Looking for recommendations folks - excluded are Milanos, Strasbourg Goose, Luigi Malones, Scoozis and Wagamammas as tried them all! Anywhere with deals on would be appreciated too :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Market Tavern in Oliver Plunkett St. Very reasonable prices, great food. Think the Early Bird special's E25 before 7.30, but even if you go a la carte, the prices aren't too bad. I can recommend the steaks, haddock and the Jack McCarthy bangers especially. They do a wicked marmalade bread 'n' butter pud too!!

Even during the week it's banged out, so expect to wait for a table. Usually the wait's not that long.

Another place I particularly like is Greene's on MacCurtain St (Isaac's Hotel). Not sure if they have specials, but again, the food in there's good. A bit more expensive though.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Market Tavern in Oliver Plunkett St. Very reasonable prices, great food. Think the Early Bird special's E25 before 7.30, but even if you go a la carte, the prices aren't too bad. I can recommend the steaks, haddock and the Jack McCarthy bangers especially. They do a wicked marmalade bread 'n' butter pud too!!

Even during the week it's banged out, so expect to wait for a table. Usually the wait's not that long.

Another place I particularly like is Greene's on MacCurtain St. Not sure if they have specials, but again, the food in there's good. A bit more expensive though.

Hope this helps!

Never heard of Market Tavern - do you mean market lane?

We have a thing against Greene's - my gf and sister got food poisoning there years back (no reflection on current management) so out of the question :o

tommy21 wrote: »
    Never heard of Market Tavern - do you mean market lane?

We have a thing against Greene's - my gf and sister got food poisoning there years back (no reflection on current management) so out of the question :o

Yes - the Market Lane...

Yes - the Market Lane...

Cool there is actually a pub called that too in same area but when you said steak I was like :eek:

I agree wholeheartedly with the Market Lane recommendation, I would also recommend Zac's of Marlboro Street. Liberty Grill does great food too. Not a fan of Greens myself, can't understand why it has such a good reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Ristorante Casanova on North Main street has really good Italian food. The downstairs looks like a cafe but the upstairs is a full restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭panda_cub

Il Padrino, without a doubt my favourite restaurant in town. If you're willing to go to Douglas, Eco's is lovely too!

No, NOT Il Padrino!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I can't understand the vibe about that place. Went there once - never again!

The food was awful, served cold and we were rushed out of the place, as it was Saturday night and the place was busy for some reason. Didn't matter we'd booked a table.

There must be better Italian restaurants in Cork, but if anyone can recommend a decent one, I'm all ears!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Cafe Mexicana in Careys Lane.
    Good food, fairly reasonable, try the Sangria! :D
    And leave room for desserts, cause they're quite delicious, too

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭GEM_13

I've always enjoyed Gambieni's.A lot of restraunts seem to have let their standards slip in recent times which is a pity.

Liked going to Il Padrinos as well but have heard some bad stuff about them in the last 18 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

The pearl river on (molboro street)?
    Savage food,pretty reasonable and the staff are very friendly and helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

The Coal Quay, 25 euro 4 course during the week well worth it.
    Hardwood on popes quay also nice a bit pricey though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

captain americas is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Fenns Quay, Crawford Art Gallery café, Isaacs, The Brick Oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭PKen

For regular, no nonsense Irish fare. Can't go wrong with Clancy's on Princes Street. It's a Pub/Restaurant/Venue. Great for steaks and does Value/Early Bird deals too.
    Also, Farmgate Cafe in the English Market. But this place closes early - doesn't open in the evenings for dinner.
    Would agree with all the other posters and their recommendations.
    Oh, by the way, avoid the Italian restaurant (can't remember name) accross from Clancy's. It's always packed. I don't know why? You'll wait half the night for very average food. :pac:

Shenshen wrote: »
    Cafe Mexicana in Careys Lane.
    Good food, fairly reasonable, try the Sangria! :D
    And leave room for desserts, cause they're quite delicious, too

Was not hugely gone on it, but then not really my type of food!

I'm dolling out the thank-yous like candy :) THanks for all the recommendations folks, I shall enjoy trying them!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

if anyone can recommend a decent one, I'm all ears!

If you can muster the enthusiasm to get out to Ballincollig, Bacco is probably the best Italian restaurant in Ireland. Italian owner, staff, and the food is incredible. It's not a big restaurant either, which makes the service so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

La Goumandaise - French Restaurant in Cook St I think - Relatively expensive but worth it for a special night out.
    If you're in Clancys try the Irish Stew. Served in a Brown Loaf and it's delicious..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Top Notch: Panda Mama (Chinese)

Avoid like the plague: Market Lane - bland expensive food with little / no atmosphere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

kingtut wrote: »
    Avoid like the plague: Market Lane - bland expensive food with little / no atmosphere

I've yet to meet a single person who has anything but good things to say about Market Lane.

It hasn't been mentioned yet but Annie's in Sundays Well is fantastic.

I've yet to meet a single person who has anything but good things to say about Market Lane.

Well I have been there twice (both times for work nights out) and it was terrible both nights. I won't be making a 3rd visit :(
    It hasn't been mentioned yet but Annie's in Sundays Well is fantastic.

Never heard of it, what kind of food do they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Market Lane for me was souless. Didn't enjoy a minute of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Well I have been there twice (both times for work nights out) and it was terrible both nights. I won't be making a 3rd visit :(

Never heard of it, what kind of food do they do?

Menu changes constantly, so much so that the they don't print the menus out but have it written on a chalkboard on the wall when you go in. It looks like an average old pub from the outside, but don't let that fool you. I was there two weeks ago and had springbok for the first time, it was amazing. If you do go there and they happen to have the chocolate pyramid creme brullee on, order it, it's something else. I'd rate it far higher than the likes of Greenes.

http://www.annies.ie/index_files/Page263.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

I think fenns quay is actually closed at the moment for renovations? They have signs up in the window about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah that's correct about Fenn's Quay - open in about two weeks I think. I'm also gonna be a Market Lane naysayer - not going against the grain for the sake of it, and there's nothing bad about it, it's just that the food is nothing remarkable, in my opinion.

Expensive ? Compared to what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

No one has mentioned Cafe Paradiso on Washington street. Its a vegetarian restaurant - the best in the country (mind you that would not be hard). I cant recommend it highly enough and Im a big steak fan!!

RoverJames wrote: »
    Expensive ? Compared to what ?

Yes expensive - compared to other restaurants in Cork (which I have been to a lot of).

• Advertisement

Yes expensive - compared to other restaurants in Cork (which I have been to a lot of).

ie Panda Mama ? I wouldn't class Market Lane as expensive to be honest.

Advertisement