Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice retaurant in Cork city?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

wispyman wrote: »
    I was in Amicus (Paul Street) on Friday night and the food was really nice and the pricing was decent enough - four people each had a (huge) main course and drinks for a total of EUR68. However you need to book ahead if you want to be sure of getting a table.

Malcolm

I passed the Amicus in Douglas on Friday night and was surprised at how busy it was at 7pm. Good to see. Had a look at the menu and the prices seemed reasonable. Must give it a go.

To be fair, Douglas has a nice selection of restaurants now.

Amicus, Eco, Lal Quila, Bully's, El Vino and the few bars which generally do good food I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mini1972

I don't know if its has been mentioned but The Barn in Mayfield is gorgeous.

Not a lively spot if thats what you are looking for but great for nice food with a relaxing atmosphere.

Very reasonable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just in relation to the restaurant scene in Galway - I've been there twice in the last two years and both times when I had a meal there the food was gorgeous. The one I remember most out if the two was a place called mcswiggans - bar/(big) restaurant - i think I had a chicken dish but it was mighty tasty!

Cork is ok for restaurants - it wouldn't be spectacular IMO - I would eat at restaurants with mid range prices and like Italian a lot but the only Italian places that I actually like are milano and il padrino (outstanding in my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Can anyone recommend any asian restaurants? I'm off to Cork for the jazz, it seems there are plenty of Italian restaurants, but would rather steer clear of Italian to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The Brick Oven down on Frenchs Quay. I have heard varying reports. Anyone here been?

Doesn't seem to be a website or anything either.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    The Brick Oven down on Frenchs Quay. I have heard varying reports. Anyone here been?

I have been there twice and it was lovely both times. We're going there for our christmas do in work also.

There is no website for the Cork City one but there is another Brick Oven in Bantry (same owners) with practically the same menu. Here's the link

http://www.thebrickovenbantry.com/Brick_Oven.html

They also have a facebook

http://www.facebook.com/thebrickoven

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

if you want to travel to bishopstown, mccarthys near the tennis village is lovely. and theres a special 3 course menu for 17.50!

if you want to travel to bishopstown, mccarthys near the tennis village is lovely. and theres a special 3 course menu for 17.50!

We had a work barbecue there before and it was lovely (this was barbecue food though so it's not that hard to get right!) but i would love to try there again just for a normal meal

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I was only there once and the food was quite good, inexpensive. But the service was woeful. Maybe it's improved since I was there, but I wouldn't be back.

Anyone tried the food in the re-opened Woodford bar? It's day-time only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

I agree. It makes me feel like I'm in Italy when I'm there (wishful thinking!). ;)

The Bay Leaf in Douglas (over O'Driscoll's Bar) is relatively new and has a great early bird for €20.00.

this early bird caught a worm

• Advertisement

Gang of us going to the Bombay palace next week - about 10-14. Now, as we all know, Indian is rather expensive and a bill for 10-14 will be a small fortune. I am thinking of ringing them and saying can they throw in a free beer for everyone, or something? Has anyone ever tried this? I have a feeling I might be wasting my time, but nada ventured etc....

Now, as we all know, Indian is rather expensive .

Starter and main course off the A La Carte menu would be less than €20 for most combinations, 2 course Early Bird is €19pp, 5 course dinner menu is €30. In fairness it's not priced at all bad compared to the likes of Chinese Restaurants which wouldn't be remotely on a par from a nutritional viewpoint.

Ask away for the complimentary drink but in December I couldn't see them obliging, in January they may throw a cheap bottle of wine or two your way for a party of 14 folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

+1 on Il Padrino !

Also SoHo is fairly good although they've changed their menu a bit in the last month and its not that good! Took my favourite dish off it! :(

Also if you're into tapas and wine El Vino is very good, theres on at the Elesian or in Douglas, Douglas one is better!

Also SoHo is fairly good although

Was never overly impressed with Soho the two or three times I had been there but was there last Friday evening, had ribs and a savage steak. Was very very very nice.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Starter and main course off the A La Carte menu would be less than €20 for most combinations, 2 course Early Bird is €19pp, 5 course dinner menu is €30. In fairness it's not priced at all bad compared to the likes of Chinese Restaurants which wouldn't be remotely on a par from a nutritional viewpoint.

Ask away for the complimentary drink but in December I couldn't see them obliging, in January they may throw a cheap bottle of wine or two your way for a party of 14 folks :)

Is that in the Bombay Palace ya?

Anyway, rang them and we will all get a complimentary beer.

Is that in the Bombay Palace ya?

Anyway, rang them and we will all get a complimentary beer.

Yep, all prices lifted straight off their site, well done on getting a free beer each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Any recommendations for a Friday after work early bird restaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Ristorante Casanova. Try the four-cheese gnocchi!

Went to Brick Oven on Saturday night. Very nice, very reasonable. Pizza was outstanding to be fair. They even boxed my leftovers. Will definitely go to again.

Advertisement