Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

power over ethernet

• 05-08-2010 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭

my connection has been really laggy lately and i thinks its because im using a wireless adaptor. my xbox is too far away from the modem to use the ethernet cable that came with it. a guy was telling me about the poe thing and i was just wondering is it good, how much is it, is it easy to set up and where can i get one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

what do you mean like using an adapter and plugging ur ethernet cable into your power lines.
    If thats what your on about ya its waaaay better than wireless
    you get tjaem on ebay about 60 dollars for a pair of good ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

the only reason i have wireless is my xbox is too far away from the modem will this sort it is there a longer cable. maybe thats a stupid question. im just not really sure what poe is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=264947

I have these at home. Really really handy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Basically you get 2 adapters that are plugs with a socket on them for an ethernet cable. You plug one into a plug socket beside the modem and plug the ethernet cable into it that you want to connect to your xbox, in the room where you have the xbox you plug in the other plug and then run an ethernet cable to the xbox. Your electrical wiring in the house is used to send the data between the modem via the sockets to the xbox.

• Advertisement

besides ebay would computer shops or electrical stores have them. ebay prob be cheaper though wouldn't it.

Im sure somewhere like PC world might stock them but you should pick them up on ebay realtively cheaper. By the way PoE or power over ethernet is something completely different and your friend is confused calling it that. Power over Ethernet is using Cat-5 cable to send data and power together. You want powerline networking adapters (ethernet over powerline) as i described above or the lads linked to.

Chap selling a pair on adverts, might be gone but worth a look and he might post them

http://www.adverts.ie/251635/peripherals/85-mbps-powerline-ethernet-starter-kit/

or

http://www.adverts.ie/252409/laptops/powerline-adapters/

http://www.adverts.ie/all/ads/terms-powerline/

well ye've convinced me im goin to get this. ill have to skip drinks at the weekend though. its annoying though my wireless was always great up till last week its gone ridiculous, games are laggy as fook and no can hear me in parties or game chat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

POE(power over ethernet) is running a power supply over an ethernet cable, usually to power the router/end point networking device on the other side of the ethernet cable

you want to run ethernet over your power cables, i.e. homeplugs, which is a completely different thing, in no way related

just wanted to make that clear before you ended up coming home with the wrong thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

And you're sure it's the fact that it's wireless is the issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

It'll only work as well as the power cables in your house will let it.
    And problems with the cabling will cause slow speeds and disconnections for instance, so it's ot guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 donncha

I've got one of those "network over powerlines" things and it works well. I bought it when I used to play MW2 and I'd join a game much faster than when I used wireless.

You might want to consider that using such a device might be illegal in Ireland as it generates a huge amount of radio interference. If you have a long wave radio turn it on and test with and without the powerline networking active. It's impossible to pick up any stations when it's on.

Unfortunately that can apparently affect radio enthusiasts for up to a kilometre around your house I think. They might not be too happy if you get one of these devices.

Clearwire internet give them out to their customers so I doubt they are illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Ive been using a pair of Netgear powerline adaptors for a few years now and find them brilliant. Never had lag or disconnections from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭dextero

You can get ethernet cables on ebay from 5 meters up to 30 meters in lenght. only problem is running cable discretly. direct cable connecton is the best .

Advertisement