Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Query Protected NCB on Motor Insurance

• 05-08-2010 8:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this so mods please feel free to move.

I'll be renewing my car insurance later this month. I made one claim against my car insurance last year which was settled. I have a protected no claims bonus as part of my current policy so I'm wondering if I have to declare the claim when I go looking for insurance quotes?

I presume my ncb remains unchanged.

It's the first time I've ever claimed against my insurance so I'd appreciate any feedback or advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

you have to declare the claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

the protection only works for your current company.

most places will give you 0 years claim bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Yes - your effectively locked in to the company your currently with until such time as you can answer no to that question from other insurers (have you made a claim within the last 3/5 years).

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Moved from Banking, Insurance & Pensions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I made a claim against policy last nov. It was for damaged caused to a rental car by my oh. I estimated correctly that it would cost €1.5k. We had to buy a replacement car as ours died and we were saving for a wedding too so just didn't have the money.

Bloody hell it's really a lesson in reading the fine print. In my naivety I thought paying extra for protected ncb meant just that. Got a good quote from our current insurer but it annoys me that my 5+ yr ncb is gone. Completely our fault though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

You do have to declare it but it won't make any difference! As long as your NCB is protected, you will receive you NCB cert from your current insurer with your total NCB years and details of the claim

I jut moved from my insurer after a claim and got a policy with AA for half of what my current insurer quoted, don't feel you have to stay with them

Also - although I couldn't complete any online quote from other insurers due to the claim, by calling 3 others I got quotes all lower than my current insurer

Advertisement