Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MSNBC's Keith Olbermann's on Gay Marriage

• 05-08-2010 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I know this would be far more suitable in the LGBT forum, but I figured there might be some interest here too, as he does delve into religion a little. This is about Proposition 8, a law in California that deemed marriage to be between a man and a woman. As you may know, Proposition 8 was just ruled unconstitutional (GET IN!!!), so this is apt.

Enjoy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Great news. I read about it on slate today http://www.slate.com/id/2262766/ The religious loonies got hammered out the gate. The case they presented in court sounds pathetically weak. Here's hoping it leads to a Supreme Court judgement in favour of gay marriage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm sure olberman is a nice guy, but i find him excruciating to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Same here.

Too close to a leftie Bill O'Reilly for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I really liked Rachel Maddow's take on it, though. Her show is on just after Olbermann's. It's not on YouTube as far as I can tell, but you can download it as a podcast through iTunes. Be quick, though - it'll only be up for another few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

liamw wrote: »

No. I have no idea what point they are trying to make. And I see that as no failure whatsoever on my part. I just couldn't be ársed trying to figure out their tortured logic.

No. I have no idea what point they are trying to make. And I see that as no failure whatsoever on my part. I just couldn't be ársed trying to figure out their tortured logic.

^^This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

liamw wrote: »

That was...confusing...

They seem to imply with that photo that small children who can barely write yet are taking pledges to defend gay people from those that might insult them. I'd probably object to that, even as a queer. I don't think kids should be making oaths or pledges of any sort (ironically, I wonder if the people who made this video support the pledge of allegiance that kids take at school in the US).

Regardless, what the flying fuck that has to do with prop 8 I have no idea, they're either insane or using blatant scaremongering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Well I'm against gay marriage because I'm against the current concept of marriage and I don't like seeing it strengthened. But ****ing hell when the Christians start I'm embarrassed to express an opinion.
    EDIT: Then again if the Christians are right then this will actually weaken marriage. Hmmm, for once I hope the nuts are right. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

3 cheers for LOGIC AND REASON beating DOGMA and BIGOTRY

I wonder what they think of all this in the Christianity forum :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The USA Declaration of Independence has that bit about "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". I kinda assumed that applied to everyone, without any exceptions. Simple enough? :p

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

He reads better than he comes across on TV. Not bad for a former sports presenter though. Can't see Peter Collins doing the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

He is the liberal version of Glenn Beck. I swear he was about to cry during the video.

What happened to just reporting the facts, or just expressing an opinion. Why is everything on American news so EMOTIONAL!!!!!

He does make a good point about marriage meaning different things to different people at different times. Not long ago marriage in America mean a white man marrying a white woman and a black man marrying a black man. And it also meant at different times a man taking ownership of a woman.

It makes the claims by conservatives that the meaning of marriage is being eroded some what ridiculous. The term never had a strong fixed meaning in the first place.

I personally think though, as I said onthe Christian forum, that the State should not recognize "marriages". The term is too flexible and open to interpretation by different groups to have meaning necessary to fit inside a legal framework

Wicknight wrote: »
    He is the liberal version of Glenn Beck. I swear he was about to cry during the video.

What happened to just reporting the facts, or just expressing an opinion. Why is everything on American news so EMOTIONAL!!!!!

American newscasters are paid by the decibel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Zillah wrote: »
    they're either insane or using blatant scaremongering.

It's the Republican way. "Vote for us or the terrorists will get you." etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Galvasean wrote: »
    It's the Republican way. "Vote for us or the terrorists will get you." etc.

It's not really much worse than the Democrat's "Vote for us or the Republicans will get you."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭TheBardWest

Wicknight wrote: »

Olberman isn't a newscaster, he's an opinion guy - just like Beck or O'Reilly - just for the left-wing. But the average, levelheaded newscasters aren't shiny enough to make news overseas, let alone make headlines on an Atheism BBS in Ireland...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

[QUOTE=Wicknight;67309459 marriage in America mean a white man marrying a white woman and a black man marrying a black man[/QUOTE]

Wait, what?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wacker wrote: »
    Wait, what?!?

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that... perhaps marriage is betetr defined than we thought?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 drifting

sink wrote: »
    If they did not love each other they would divorce or separate. The mere act of living together on a permanent basis involves a certain amount of love, that would not be possible with an enemy causing any degree of aggravation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

drifting wrote: »
    If they did not love each other they would divorce or separate. The mere act of living together on a permanent basis involves a certain amount of love, that would not be possible with an enemy causing any degree of aggravation.

Wow!

Advertisement