Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TTC after an Ectopic Pregnancy

Options
  • 05-08-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I just wanted to see if anyone out there had any information they could share with me regarding getting pregnant after an ectopic pregnancy. I had an ectopic pregnancy in March of this year. I was given one shot of the Met Injection and the pregnancy was ended. This came as a complete shock to my husband and I and we were both devastated. I was 8 weeks pregnant. We were told not to conceive for 3 months from the date of the Met Injection. We are ttc again now, (nothing happened last month) and are hoping this month may be different.

Has anybody had the Met Injection and conceived shortly after??

Any comments would be helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

My close friend had an Ectopic in Feb 2009, she was 9 weeks and had the Methotrexate to end the pregnancy. She then went on to conceiev a couple of months later and had a baby boy in May.

Make sure that when you conceive again that you get an early scan asap. Although you are unlikely to have a second ectopic, the risk for you is higher as you have had one already.

I'm sorry that you had to go through such as awful experience. Any pregnancy loss is extrememly difficult. I wish you luck with ttc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

that's so awful, hope you're doing ok.

A good friend of mine had an ectopic, and lost the fallopian tube along with it. She is now pregnant again, 4 cycles after ectopic (still ovulating correctly on the other side with the remaining tube).
    I remember she had consultations with her doc/gynae to discuss the cause of the ectopic. Sometimes it's anatomical (i.e. the physical tube is damage or blocked) other times not.

Anyway she had the methotrexate injections, continued to ttc and concieved two cycles later. Sadly ended in miscarriage so I think it's a good idea that you waited a few cycles.

I think HCG needs to be fully gone from your body before it'll let itself get pregnant again (i.e. begin to ovulate again), and thus that can cause delays as the HCG doesn't always fall dramatically.

Do you know if you're ovulating again?

Best of luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭alde

Thank you crazy cat lady! We were advised at the time to call the hospital as soon as we find out I am pregnant (if it happens). I think there is only a 10% chance of having a 2nd ectopic so hopefully next time I will be in the other 90%. Im hoping we do not have a long wait while ttc..
    x
    DetectivFoxtrot,
    My hcg levels were very low at my last beta check in May, I have had 2 proper cycles since the Injections so I can only assume that I am ovulating again. Mine too was in the tube but luckily they did not need to remove the tube, however I now worry that the tube is scarred and if I fell pregnant in this tube again that it will end in another ectopic or miscarriage.
    x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭cinderella2010

My SIL have an ectopic and she was told not to attempt to get pregs again and that she should do it via IVF so as to make sure she does not to chance loose her other fallopian tube?????

They couldn't find the fetus and ended up opening her in a few different places - her stomach is covered in scars - then when the poor girl got home after a few days she bent over and burst her stitches and had to be stitched again. It was a real hack job altogether

Your SIL's ectopic sounded like a complicated one. Mine was straight forward at 7.5 weeks. I had the methotrexathe injection so did not need surgery. There is a 10% chance of it happening again if we conceive. We had to wait 3 months before we were allowed to try again. Sounds like a very traumatic time for your SIL, hope she is doing ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭cinderella2010

It was very traumatic -for her and my bro -
    I know this may mean nothing but at least you got preg and you know you can so there should be no reason why you cant again....how long were you trying

I have been trying for over year its exhausting and its all-consuming...

At work everyone is popping them out and I keep getting reminded how easy it was - got preg immediately after coming off the pill etc

One girl told me it took her "ages" she meant three cycles - HELLO :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭specialk1977

Hi I experienced and ectopic in april 2007.I too was 8 weeks ,but had surgery to remove de baby as it wsa in my left tube,which was also removed. We started tryin in june 2007 and got my BFP in feb 2008.It took us longer to conceive as i had de 1 tube..But there is hope,as a previous poster said,make sure u ring de hospital as soon as u get ur bfp so they can do bloods and check your hch levels..Best of luck

Thanks for sharing that Special K ..... I live in hope.

Advertisement