Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over from the States and need color guidance re: wiring a bathroom light

Options
  • 05-08-2010 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

I've been in Ireland for two years and this is the first time I've had to wiring a fixture. I did some research into the meanings of the wire colours here and they don't correspond to the set up in my house.

The light in the bathroom is an ordinary incandescent fixture. I took the fixture down when I repainted the ceiling and I didn't keep track of what goes where, so now I'm stuck.

I have
    1. Brown
    2. Black
    3. Red

I've found out that the brown is the live by using a mains tester + screwdriver.

A hardware store clerk suggested to keep the brown by itself to L1 and then the red and the black together in L2; however, when I made this arrangement the light did come on--but the switch was off! Another light in the same circuit was on fully.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone!

Bren

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you have a mix of old and new colours

i recommend you get a sparkie

the camera phone is handy -if only i could remember it myself all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

try keeping brown and red together in L1 and black in L2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Brendan C1977

Thanks again! Pdiddy: I switched and kept the brown and red together, as you suggested, with black by itself.

Light turns on, but is abnormally bright. Have weird new situation where if one light in the circuit is on, then both lights are dim.

Strangeness! Any ideas?

Should I try Brown (live) and Black together in L1, and Red by itself in L2?
    Or will this bring on the apolcalypse?

Advertisement