Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you leave Dublin to work in the west?

Options
  • 05-08-2010 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

I left Dublin 10 years ago for a Job in Mayo. Used to live in Maynooth and work in City Centre. I loved Dublin, still do. but the whole commute was really getting to me and I could not afford parking in City Centre so I had to take the bus, Neither could I afford a house nearer work.

Well I got a job in Mayo, they paid 38k a year, Got a nice big 4 bed house for 140K (back in 2002). We find we have a lot more money here as our mortgage is only 500 a month.

Quality of life is great, Just hate the rain a miss dublin. But kids love it here.

Would any Dubliners move to Mayo if you have a secure Job here?

Would you leave Dublin to work in the west? 18 votes

No... I am a Dub forever
    0% 0 votes
    Sure I would move if I could get a Job.
    100% 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Of course I would if I was guarunteed a secure job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Place where I work is always recruiting, (hard to find people with qualifications here)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Hmmm, in the far off future, I could see myself living in North Wexford but that's as far away from Dublin as I'd ever consider going! Born and bred here and, despite it's flaws, I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

no, I wouldn't be friends with all them culthies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Moved to Ennis for a few years, it was fine, and I liked it, but I'm back in Dublin now, and it's way better. If I had to move again, I'd do it though.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i would be gone like a shot.

working on the OH at the moment to get him to leave dublin

as much i love dublin, it is no longer suiting my lifestyle choices :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If I had to leave Dublin for work, I'd go abroad and somewhere nice. Flight times and costs are a lot more reasonable now.

I've been out to Belmullet and I wouldn't be in any hurry to return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My wife is from the West and although I'd really really hate to leave Dublin, I'd consider anything if I needed to for my family.

I could never see myself having to do it though as the majority of jobs in my field are usually up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

no, I wouldn't be friends with all them culthies

Cheaper pints though.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Galway city would be the only place out West I'd consider. Something a bit spooky about all the green fields in the countryside...need some concrete on them so they do :pac:. I'm a city lad through and through regardless of what country I'm in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

from a farm in offaly
    lived there untill i was 16
    moved to dublin to go to college and get a job. being here 15 years.
    Love Both.
    also love the fact that when dublin is closing in on me. I'm 55 mins from a nice cheap pint in offaly.
    and when offaly quiet i'm back into dublin in no time.

aw class. think i'll go for a pint now. (but where to go)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

Dyflin wrote: »
    I've been out to Belmullet and I wouldn't be in any hurry to return.
    in fairness bellmullet is a long way from everything:p. the west isn't as 'culchie' as people think. i hate when a news crew or something feel the need to interview the most bogger person they could find, really p!sses me off. rant over:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

Would move in an instance! I do love Dublin, but as I get older, it's just not for me....someday :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭bubble_wrap

i might consider Galway, although i hear winter is a bit horrible there, not Mayo though,fcuking culchies:p

Advertisement