Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photography Courses

• 05-08-2010 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

How do!
    Sorry for posting such a vague repeated question but can anybody recommend a great photography course. I don't mind the duration (1-4 years) or the price. I would like to start in September though.
    I am looking to pursue a career in photography. But with so many courses to choose from and being under some time pressure nothing is really standing out. I have a vast selection of personal images but they aren't arranged in a portfolio as of yet. I would like to avoid doing a year long portfolio prep course as well.
    Or would I be better off assisting for a while and garner my own skills? Bear in mind weddings don't quite appeal to me but portraits, newspaper/magazine, art photography does.
    Any suggestions and recommendations would help.
    Thanks in advance
    Jeff

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 chunfella

Bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Your location would help narrow it down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Try - http://www.digitalbeginners.ie/

Just get out, take loads of picts, learn as you go and build your portfolio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 chunfella

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry I'm in Dublin CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

Check out Griffith college and Dun Laoghaire College of Art & Design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 Tearaway

chunfella wrote: »
    How do!
    Sorry for posting such a vague repeated question but can anybody recommend a great photography course. I don't mind the duration (1-4 years) or the price. I would like to start in September though.
    I am looking to pursue a career in photography. But with so many courses to choose from and being under some time pressure nothing is really standing out. I have a vast selection of personal images but they aren't arranged in a portfolio as of yet. I would like to avoid doing a year long portfolio prep course as well.
    Or would I be better off assisting for a while and garner my own skills? Bear in mind weddings don't quite appeal to me but portraits, newspaper/magazine, art photography does.
    Any suggestions and recommendations would help.
    Thanks in advance
    Jeff

Dun Laoghaire or Griffith both run excellent courses. I would advise you to have a long think about it first though - photography is a very difficult field to make a living in these days.
    There are a lot of people with no training calling them self photographers picking up work and there are a lot of trained photographers on the bread line. Magazines commision less and less these days, news papers are loosing there staffers and buying more form stock or agencies. Also with HD video taking the world by storm, in the futrure you'll be a videographer as well as a one framer.
    Talk to a few photograhers first before you commit to it as a profession - get an overall perspective on the business.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I'm in Griffith doing the photography, any questions fire away, you can still apply for sept i think. i agree its something you need to thin about big time...huge commitment required

Advertisement