Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fence to keep dog in.

Options
  • 05-08-2010 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Looking for some advice for fencing for my new pup.I have an acre site and have post and rail fencing all around.I was thinking sheep wire but the squares are too big.The pup is a beagle and she is very placid and i know they make houdini look bad.Any help please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

Hiya

we have a 1 year old beagle we got around 2 months ago. You'd definitely need something really secure as they tend to dig as well especially if they get a scent of something - as you know they are hunting dogs so once they get a whiff of something there's no stopping them!
    Our garden not as big as yours but the fencing has concrete base, seems a bit extreme I know but he might get under anything else?

Hope that helps. They're stubborn little feckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Try Harris Fencing if you can find a local builder with some to spare. Each panel is about 12ft x 6ft so with 10 panels you can make a good sized run for when you are not there. Seal the bottom with chicken wire.

There are some very good ideas on boards already - do a Google search on the home page for "Dog Run".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I have a little pony that can get in between the rails in the post and rail. I've stapled chicken wire to the outside of the fence, but then he doesn't dig, if you find some way to bury it that would be better.
    ETA - by chicken wire I don't mean the stuff like sheep wire, it's 1" mesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Forget what it's called but we used the rolls of wire that look like chicken wire but are much stronger? They're about €60 per 25 metres in the co-op and we stapled them onto the post and rail fencing with u-hooks and a hammer. We have the bottom rail very close to the ground so there's only a two inch gap down there. Our dogs are adults though and don't dig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Thanks for the replies.
    I have decided to section off part of the site with more post and rail and do exactly what boomerang said except to use 12gauge 4ft chainlink fencing and keep the lower rails close to the ground!If that does not work its a straight jacket but then again houdini could get out of them:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

4 feet would be too low I rekon Beagles are clever so might be able to get up and over it.

The heavy duty chainlink you mentioned is good stuff, we used it with timber posts between 5 and 6 feet high depending on where it is in the garden. It's brilliant, in the summer the foliage tends to take over a lot of it but so far so good it's not been damaged in any way.

We got farm relief services to install it and it's as solid as a rock.
    Also use cilldara.ie dog runs which are brilliant or there's hayses and a few others around. They can be moved around which really helps but long term you would def. need to fence off the whole area because it's a real pain in the butt otherwise.

Downside it's not cheap. One option would be to build the dog run and then over time have sections of fencing done bit by bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

We put up a chainlink fence (on steel posts as there was no pre-existing other fence). At the bottom we had a little trench dug where the bottom 30 cm or so of the fence were folded inward and then covered with earth again.
    So when a dog digs down at the fence, it hits mesh and stops (and they're not clever enough to start tunneling half a meter back :D)

Advertisement