Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C Old Petrol Station

• 05-08-2010 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭

On my photo blog the theme will allow 1 image per page.
    I took some pics of an old petrol station between Galway and Cavan.
    For some reason I think they suit all being on the same page (as they're all related/same story).
    so I used Infraview to create 1 long vertical photo.
    I need to fix it a bit- resize the 'overly' big vertical photos (pump and dial)- maybe put them side by side and 1/2 height.
    Besides that what you think, should I remove some, rearrange etc?
    Maybe remove the last one...
    Cheers,
    Pa.

[IMG][/img]3095F1DC90804ECFB768B2018F465735.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Nice old eerie deserted town feel to them, pity about the '95 & 02 reg'd cars though, otherwise they'd have a more timeless feel.

Like 'em though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you can get back to it, i suspect it'd be a better subject while not in sunlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Really like the detail ones (5 & 6).
    Think as a project it's a great idea. Definitely think you should go back and do a few more. Could be a nice series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pbt20

Did you try b/w, I think the subject would suit. Good errie feeling to the shots, well done.

#5 is B&W and it does actually stand out. This type of set does benefit from mono and duo tones. High contrast Sepia might work on a couple of them too, #1 for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

No.1 might be stronger if it was square format. I agree that the cars take away from the images a little. No. six is my favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

For some reason I just don't feel the pics make the best use out of the subject...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

Not mad about any of them, sorry!

As been said already, maybe black and white.

I absolutely love the location.

I have a fashion shoot soon and while I still have to meet with the designer, I'd love to shoot there. Any chance of telling the location?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

thefly wrote: »

I absolutely love the location.

I have a fashion shoot soon and while I still have to meet with the designer, I'd love to shoot there. Any chance of telling the location?

I'll try to find it out for you. It's on the road to Cavan, not far after you come off the motorway from Gawlay. on the left hand side....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

mehfesto wrote: »
    Really like the detail ones (5 & 6).
    Think as a project it's a great idea. Definitely think you should go back and do a few more. Could be a nice series.

Great shout

• Advertisement

A good location is always well worth a return visit for sure! It's so hard to find decent shooting spots like this lately, everywhere just seems to be littered with ugly Apartments and bland urban scenery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭milos

dinneenp
    like your pics a lot
    Forgive me but I had some fun with PS on this pic

bandwgarage.jpg

Hope some like it

Hi,
    Could you tell me what you did in PP to the pic & how long it took?
    I have PP Elements but haven't started using it yet...

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭milos

used photoshop cs5
    used content aware fill to remove cars
    patch tool and clone to tidy up
    used ajustments black and white for monocrome
    used curves to get tone I liked

Took about 10 min but I like photoshop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Decay can be an interesting theme for a project and personally I think can produce some stunning photography.

One suggestion I don't think others have mentioned - is to vary your shooting perspective, to create additional interest (this; only if it suits your particular intent). I think as a sequence they are quite 'flat' - not in terms of processing - but in terms of perspective; and while highly appropriate for some, to me, it does become a little tiresome in the sequence. For example try dropping your camera to ground level in portrait mode. Also, maybe try having a play with the aperture - be a bit creative with it and see does it positively impact on the end result. Well, you might as well while you're there - nothing lost if you don't like 'em.

In #3 have you done a really tight crop? It lacks sharpness I think.

I love #5 and #6 - they might work nicely as a diptych in a 70/30; or 60/40 configuration.

Harsher processing will certainly add drama but careful not to push it too much - there is a tipping point where you will be into diminishing returns of any efforts.

Yes, I think you are onto something here.

Good luck with the return visit.

Cheers for the cimmnts so far. It was a bit of a rush job. I was on a quick round trip from Galway to Cavan and spotted it on my way up. So on the way back I nipped in. Could have spent ages there but as I said it was literally snap, snap.

Very late in replying but it's next to Tubberclair- on the left side of the road if you're driving from Athlone side....PM also sent to person who was asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I find them pretty flat and they look like they were shot using a point and shoot camera, the PP is very average, infact it looks like their was very little used 'cept on #3
    #1 Is just the wrong angle in my view, it's just too head on as is #5
    #7 the shadow ruins the image.
    I went to have a go but on your pixie you have them minature size!
    I reckon you should get your hands on Lightroom 3 as it comes with presets/previews which would be easier for you to start getting stuck into the nounces of PP.
    There def is potential dropping back to the place.

I reckon you should get your hands on Lightroom 3 as it comes with presets/previews which would be easier for you to start getting stuck into the nounces of PP.

Thanks for the feedback.
    What do you mean by LIghtroom 3 comes with presets/previews?

cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Lovely shots all your missing is pat shortt:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

dinneenp wrote: »
    Very late in replying but it's next to Tubberclair- on the left side of the road if you're driving from Athlone side....PM also sent to person who was asking.

Doh. How did I not spot "Molloy's Garage". That's just up the road from home. I must pay a visit next time I'm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shanona

What do you mean by LIghtroom 3 comes with presets/previews?

presets are basically settings that Lightroom has built in so you can just hover over a preset to preview it, and click it to apply. Then if it's not exactly to your liking, you can adjust things in it. I do about 90% of my editing in Lightroom and the other 10% in Photoshop CS3 (i am actually working between two computers that have CS3 and CS5 but haven't made the time to get used to CS5 yet. It scares me. haha)

The presets range for any sort of effect from simple black and white to whatever you want, really. The sky's the limit. The first thing that comes to mind to show you an example without actually having the software is going to this site (gettototallyrad.com) and playing with their samples. Those particular ones are for purchase, but there are tons of others out there that are free, once you have the software.

If you're really into photography, i suggest you learn a little more about the digital tools that are available and how to use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

As Shanona described.
    30 day trial demo.
    http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Graphics/Adobe-Lightroom.shtml

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I find them pretty flat and they look like they were shot using a point and shoot camera, the PP is very average, infact it looks like their was very little used 'cept on #3
    i think the problem was the light, not the PP. for that sort of subject, i'd prefer an overcast day.

Advertisement