Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Sports News

• 05-08-2010 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone will be paying for Sky Sports News when it becomes no longer free view at the end of the month? Im gonna miss it! Its all I watch pretty much but I wont be paying for it! Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

it's included with the sports packages still i assume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's all you pretty much watch?

You obviously like repeats then!

Random wrote: »
    it's included with the sports packages still i assume?

Yes, just won't be available on Freeview anymore. Shouldn't affect most people in Ireland AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Won't miss it in the slightest. SSN is tabloid sport news broadcasting... making up news to keep themselves interested if you ask me.

If i got to keep it for free... then yeah i'd certainly watch Soccer Saturday - but certainly won't shell out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

its not on free view in my house. we have free view upstairs and SSN isnt on it.
    it is included in your Sky Sports package though. to the best of my knowledge though

how can you watch it all the time? they repeat them selves over and over.
    and I hate the way they go "coming up goals from such a league" and 2 hours later, still no goals but they have managed to show you the same interview 3 times over!
    very annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Don't have it so no won't be missed. Don't they just repeat everything hour after hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Won't miss it in the slightest. SSN is tabloid sport news broadcasting... making up news to keep themselves interested if you ask me.

If i got to keep it for free... then yeah i'd certainly watch Soccer Saturday - but certainly won't shell out for it.

Well its the best way to keep up to date with whats happening in the world of sport if youre watching TV. TBH 90% of their news is pretty much spot on. I think its a pretty informative channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I think Soccer Saturday is the only good thing about SSN

Mister men wrote: »
    Don't have it so no won't be missed. Don't they just repeat everything hour after hour?

Make that every half hour.

I can only stick it for 15 minutes. Good on transfer deadline day and that's about it.

I also hate, how they calll a show 'Football Today' and talk about bloody Cricket all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

They do news for the 1st half hour (Including Blue Square news) and then they show highlights of the best League 2 matches.

Only worth watching for Millie Clode and Georgie Thompson. Charlotte Jackson too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Devil08 wrote: »
    Well its the best way to keep up to date with whats happening in the world of sport if youre watching TV. TBH 90% of their news is pretty much spot on. I think its a pretty informative channel.

Everyone to their own i guess. I would guess that the VAST majority of people who currently have SSN - don't depend on it for keeping up to date with what's happening in the world of sport however.

It's a cheesy channel at best, and as someone said - it can be quite good on Transfer Deadline day, but repeats, repeats, repeats other than that.

Everyone to their own i guess. I would guess that the VAST majority of people who currently have SSN - don't depend on it for keeping up to date with what's happening in the world of sport however.

It's a cheesy channel at best, and as someone said - it can be quite good on Transfer Deadline day, but repeats, repeats, repeats other than that.

Id be interested to hear what other sports news sources people use? I use the internet aswell but its hard to find a site that doesnt have anything but rumours on it - except for official club websites..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I'll miss the lovely girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

When you say 'off freeview' do you mean off the freeview thingy in the UK, or off the basic package on UPC? TBH I'd be lost without it.

When you say 'off freeview' do you mean off the freeview thingy in the UK, or off the basic package on UPC and Sky is now going to be included with a Sky Sports sub?

Basically unless you have the sky sports package you will have to pay for it..which I dont, because they dont show as many matches as they used to with ESPN and Setanta out there now..

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

Basically unless you have the sky sports package you will have to pay for it..which I dont, because they dont show as many matches as they used to with ESPN and Setanta out there now..

OH Christ, when will this happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

There's some cracking presenters on it, Georgie Thompson FTW.

It's grand on a boring day, there's something very addicting to it that I can just have it on in the background and watch the headlines every hour. It's fairly good on "busy" days, but when it's quiet or there's cricket on it's absolutely dire.

end of month sometime, not sure of exact date

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10346894

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

August 23rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

As posted already that is freeview uk and nothing to do with the sky tv. Its still going to be part of the sky news and events mix.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

thats not true.

It's coming off the Freeview platform in the UK, it'll still be available to anyone who has it here at the moment on UPC or Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Not in the slightest but will miss Soccer Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

As posted already that is freeview uk and nothing to do with the sky tv. Its still going to be part of the sky news and events mix.
    Yay :D
    I hope this is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Nobody subscribing to Sky or UPC will be affected by this news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/news/a168300/sky-sports-news-to-join-the-sports-pack.html

it'll be available in the news mix and sports mix. They'd be stupid to pull it from the news mix as the only reason a lot of people get the news mix is for sky sports news. And those people arent going to pay 30 euro or whatever it is for sky sports, to get that channel back if it was pulled from news mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

its actually part of the news package on sky here

Don't mean to be rude, but if you will be lost without it, surely you would know the date as they're advertising it all the time, along with the forthcoming new look Sky Sports HD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I detest Sky Sports News!! I used to watch it, but then it wears you down. The only good thing about it are the crackers that present on it. Georgie Thompson and the other blonde one that looks like her. Plus the two black haired birds!!

The two phrases i hate the most are:

1. Sky Sports News understands................i.e, you've read on a website...............but it could be a load of bo!!ox. Who knows? Who cares? Let's get some reporter standing outside a stadium at half nine at night with a load of drunken yobs in the backround, i.e that Liam Brady lookalike who reports from St James Park. "I can confirm that Chris Hughton has driven into the stadium and he's apparently..and this is unconfirmed...chosen a hot chocolate from the vending machine instead of his usual coffee. Make of that what you will. Back to you in the studio"

2. Coming up next, we have more from..........................now this is the one i hate the most. The way they try to make out they have more to add to something already reported when in fact they are just gonna repeat what they have already said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

It's a decent channel to check in or for five or ten minutes after work or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,531 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

SarahBM wrote: »
    I think Soccer Saturday is the only good thing about SSN

And even then its on SS1:eek:

Agree with all the criticisms of SSN. However, Soccer Saturday does have it's moments. Love this one myself

Mushy wrote: »

From August 23rd it will only be on SSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Mushy wrote: »

Not anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Well its the best way to keep up to date with whats happening in the world of sport if youre watching TV.

Correction,its the best way to keep up with the sports that Sky have the rights for ,othewise it doesnt get reported on.;)
    Its completely lopsided towards Premiership football and is basically a marketing tool for Sky Sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,531 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Not anymore

Thank Christ, I'm sick of switching from one to the other to hear the end of the sentence! And thats not on purpose:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Correction,its the best way to keep up with the sports that Sky have the rights for ,othewise it doesnt get reported on.;)
    Its completely lopsided towards Premiership football and is basically a marketing tool for Sky Sports.

Summed it up.

Advertisement