Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another ovulation query

Options
  • 05-08-2010 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi there going unreg for this ttc my issue is I seem to ovulate only 5 days prior to period due date does anyone know if it scuppers my chances?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭alde

Hi there, we are also ttc and the whole ovulation thing has me baffled. Apparently you ovulate 14 days prior to the day your period starts. Are you sure its definetly ovulation at 5 days before period?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Sounds like you have what is called a Luteal Phase Defect (LPD). Don't be scared by the word 'defect', it's a common enough issue and is very, very treatable naturally.

It occurs when the duration of the Luteal Phase of your cycle (post ovulation and pre period) is too long or too short. The normal range is 10 to 16 days. A woman's LP is commonly 14 days, but similar to cycle length, this can vary from woman to woman. Something I've learned over the last year is there is no such thing as a 'typical 28 day cycle'. If you have an LP of 14 days it'll be 14 days (give or take a day) EVERY cycle, it doesn't chop and change. What defines the length of a cycle is usually the Follicuar Phase (the egg growing phase, that's after your period and before ovulation).

The cause of LPD is attributable to low progesterone levels or insufficient/unsustained progesterone production by the corpus luteum (the follicle that holds the egg before it's release).

A short LP causes problems when ttc-ing as it does not give a fertilized egg enough time to travel down the fallopian tube and implant snugly in your uterus. Basically your period starts to quickly.

A natural way to lengthen your Luteal Phase is to take Vitamin C and Vitamin B6 daily, about 500mg and 100mg respectively. Chasteberry is another supplement. Other products out there are called Vitex and Fertilaid, I've heard great reports about these.

Good luck ;)

Advertisement