Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old clothes to sell

Options
  • 05-08-2010 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi

Does anyone know of a place to sell old clothes in Galway? Moving house and have a lot of stuff to clear asap, heard there was a place in Ballybrit/Ballybane that buys old clothes to recycle them. Anyone know anything about this?

Any info greatly appreciated!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

Better give them to some charity like GSPCA on Augustin Str... :) I never thought of selling my old clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Maja wrote: »
    Better give them to some charity like GSPCA on Augustin Str... :) I never thought of selling my old clothes.

Was that the 'vintage' place you were thinking of? IN an old warehouse up by McDonaghs, I think it was a dutch couple who sold off their hoardings a few years back. They used to accept some donations at that time. Gone now, AFAIK.

Ebay is prob your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Was that the 'vintage' place you were thinking of? IN an old warehouse up by McDonaghs, I think it was a dutch couple who sold off their hoardings a few years back. They used to accept some donations at that time. Gone now, AFAIK.

Ebay is prob your best bet.

a lot of hassle. whz not just give them to simon or SVDP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

OP may need/want to earn a few bob in the process?

In the States, and a lesser extent Europe, there are a lot of folks who mine very cheap charity shops for Levis/Fleuvog (sp?) shoes/designer tshirts etc, and sell them on ebay.
    There is also the 'by weight' option for buying and selling more ordinary clothes, and non-designer labels.

We don't have a great 2nd hand/buying set of shops here OP, if you have some designer or nicer label stuff, there was a shop in the back of the Bridge Mills that buys, dunno if she's still there. Dunno about by weight places here though.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wouldn't imagine 2nd hand clothes are worth all that much. Maybe the charity shops might buy clothes if buying the clothes is an act of charity in itself.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    I wouldn't imagine 2nd hand clothes are worth all that much.

Depends; your regular Penneys 'Atmosphere' brand etc wouldn't be, but stuff like Karen Millen, Coast, Deisel etc would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Theres a place in Briarhill that buys clothes per kilo.
    Open Monday to friday til 5 and then again on a saturday for a few hours. Heard an add on I102104 today and I remember a friend telling me about it before.
    They take shoes and clothes, and pay something like 40cent per kilo? [Open to correction on this amount...] May not seem like much but beats dumping them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Wouldn't mind dumping all my Penney's stuff in here, anyone know where it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

there was a van parked beside the clothes bank in westside all day today advertisting buying old clothes for 35 cent a kg I think. didnt get a chance to take the number as i was driving by

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

It's in the same estate as Western Motors & DID electrical. Drive straight in to the estate and keep going down towards the end. You will see signs for a coffee shop in front of you. It's to the left of this coffee shop I think down a small road

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Is it just clothes they take or can you bring along towels and bed linen??

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

I work nearby, 35c per kilo, no wet or dirty clothes. Pretty sure towels and bedlinen are acceptable too. I can double check tomorrow if you like.

there was a van parked beside the clothes bank in westside all day today advertisting buying old clothes for 35 cent a kg I think. didnt get a chance to take the number as i was driving by
    That's well cheeky what they are at. Could they be done with loitering (USA) I wonder.

These people have no morals at all

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

Seems fair game to me. Some people dumping clothes mightn't even be aware they could make a few bob (emphasis on 'few') off it. Tough times and all. I don't see advertising that as unmoral at all.

What do they do with these clothes that are bought I wonder? Not that it matters to me, I just want rid of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's well cheeky what they are at. Could they be done with loitering (USA) I wonder.

These people have no morals at all

What's cheeky/immoral about it?

The "charity" clothes banks are run by businesses which use the fact that a proportion of their profits goes to charity to solicit donated raw materials.

This is just a different business that is seeking its raw materials a different way. Arguably they're being more honest than the "charity" ones that make most people think that all the proceeds go to charity.

The only possible illegal thing is that the probably don't have planning to place a mobile advertisement (ie the van) at the site. And I'm not even sure if that would be needed if the van is legally parked.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

How can people dare to think about selling their clothes. Give it to charity. Thats what i do anyway.

How can people dare to think about selling their clothes. Give it to charity. Thats what i do anyway.

How can nurses and doctors and teachers dare to think about selling their time. They should all work for nothing!

JustMary wrote: »
    How can nurses and doctors and teachers dare to think about selling their time. They should all work for nothing!
    Money money money, you are all obsessed by money. When you die you will not take a penny with you, you will leave all your Euros behind. Think about poor people a little bit and dont be selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

penney's + high street clothes are completely different from designer and things like 100% wool coats etc.

Think about it like this: I donate crap costume jewelry, but if I ever want to get rid of my "real" jewelry, I'm not gonna donate it.

• Advertisement

But still i will never sell my clothes. I gave a lot of designer stuff and new clothes to charity. Its all depend on the person. If somebody is money minded they will sell everything to get money.

But still i will never sell my clothes. I gave a lot of designer stuff and new clothes to charity. Its all depend on the person. If somebody is money minded they will sell everything to get money.
    True, there's no towbar on an hearse

True, there's no towbar on an hearse

which brings me to something else - some people will spend thousands having a traditional funeral, being embalmed, the coffin, the hearse, the plot.

I'm gonna get stuck into an oven, put into a ziplock bag and maybe scattered (ok so that's a bit trite) or buried in the backyard under a sugar maple (also trite but I like sugar maples)

So I'll sell what designer clothes I manage to buy, and spend my money on nice things like travel and cameras while I'm alive, thank you very much.

Someone would have made a choice to donate their clothes at the clothesbank though. That is why they went there, if they wanted to sell their clothes they would have gone elsewhere.

The fact that these people can now afford to buy these clothes should be telling us something, previously they were collecting them door to door for (cough) charities. My arse

It says a lot to me about the kind of person that went to the clothes bank to donate and sold their goods to these profit merchants

well I wouldn't sell designer clothes to a 35 cent per kilo place either. I'd try ebay or consignment first...

Money money money, you are all obsessed by money. When you die you will not take a penny with you, you will leave all your Euros behind. Think about poor people a little bit and dont be selfish.

Dunno about anyone else, but I've made a will that directly where my resources (Euro and otherwise) go - this includes some charities, and some people who are significant to me.

In the meantime, I plan to use my resources wisely, and that doesn't include giving nice clothes away to clothes recyclers that give a small proportion of their profits to charities (which is what you're doing when you put clothes in a clothes-bank). It does include making some donations of cold hard cash directly to charities. Most charities find that cash is the most cost-effective form of donation, because they don't have to store, sort and re-sell it.

And I also support charities by BUYING clothes from places like the Enable Ireland shop.

You might like to reconsider a few of your assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

JustMary wrote: »
    Dunno about anyone else, but I've made a will that directly where my resources (Euro and otherwise) go - this includes some charities, and some people who are significant to me.
    I couldn't give a flying fudge what happens to me after I die, I'd prefer to be eaten by wild animals like the monks do but that's not going to happen so I've said I want to be burned, but I don't think that'll happen either, I'll probably get a horrible mass where the priest goes on about how close to God I was. Won't really matter a bit to me I'll be dead either way.

Would selling clothes and giving away the money not be equally as charitable?

I buy from charity shops, I give stuff to them, but if I had something designer-y, or even something that cost a considerable chunk of my money, of course I would think about selling it provided it is in good nick.

Far is to for someone to make the assumption doing that is selfish; who is to know the circumstances they are in now? I am actually a bit shocked by someone suggesting "How can people dare to think about selling their clothes" when the circumstances are not known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Judging others without knowing their circumstances (if they need a few bob extra to feed a family, fund a family trip etc..) is not very charitable imo!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement