Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old clothes to sell

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

Xiney wrote: »
    penney's + high street clothes are completely different from designer and things like 100% wool coats etc.

Think about it like this: I donate crap costume jewelry, but if I ever want to get rid of my "real" jewelry, I'm not gonna donate it.

What is worth giving to charity things you would dump anyway? I hate it, when people give rubbish to charity! When i went to GSPCA with about 20 only once watched DVD's my new (little to small) Puma shoes and few other nice brand new things they looked surprised -why? Because most of the people think like yourself -donate rubbish ,sell what's worth selling.
    Charity shops dont need rubbish -poor people dont need rubbish. If you want to give something -give what is still valuable -dont just get rid of your litter! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

oh ffs.

by crap I mean monetarily worthless, but still good. It still has value in that it is useful, but it is not valuable.

oh ffs.

by crap I mean monetarily worthless, but still good. It still has value in that it is useful, but it is not valuable.

-sure, worthless, but still good.. :rolleyes: I know what you mean - you wouldnt give away anything what you still like and thats not giving!

Maja wrote: »
    you wouldnt give away anything what you still like and thats not giving!

no... I wouldn't. but yes, it's still giving, because it can be used by someone else.

I'm glad you have so much money that you can give away brand new expensive shoes. Good for you. I've bought four pairs of shoes in the past three years.

no... I wouldn't. but yes, it's still giving, because it can be used by someone else.

I'm glad you have so much money that you can give away brand new expensive shoes. Good for you. I've bought four pairs of shoes in the past three years.

I have four pairs of shoes all together myself, but it doesnt stop me from giving as there are people out there who have only one (if any) and -NO giving things you dont need doesnt count as GIVING -they are doing you a favour by taking it, so you dont have to pay for dumping. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

rubbish is included in my rent. I don't pay for dumping anyhow.

Before I drove it was quite difficult for me to donate clothes - it involved a lot of effort. Yet I still did it rather than throw out clothes that I don't use any more. Now it's easier, but I still have to go out of my way rather than just wastefully throw things out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 josie jott

...and -NO giving things you dont need doesnt count as GIVING...

Are you for real??

josie jott wrote: »
    Are you for real??

YES, but maybe you are not able to understand it.. :rolleyes:

rubbish is included in my rent. I don't pay for dumping anyhow.

Before I drove it was quite difficult for me to donate clothes - it involved a lot of effort. Yet I still did it rather than throw out clothes that I don't use any more. Now it's easier, but I still have to go out of my way rather than just wastefully throw things out.

-good anyway that you do it, most of the people wouldnt bother... i dont drive yet myself,so i know its a trouble.

You give what you can. If all someone can give is things they have no use for anymore the fact they CHOOSE to give it is still charitable.

• Advertisement

You give what you can. If all someone can give is things they have no use for anymore the fact they CHOOSE to give it is still charitable.

Well, "what you can" could mean all different things... I used to have silver earrings and i do like to have real jewellery - but i think i can live without it, so i gave it away... and i also had bag of clothes which were mostly kind of stuff i bought and didnt like - cheap and not flattering- i gave it also, but i didnt consider it as a something really "charitable" as i didnt want this stuff anyway -I would dump it if nobody would take it! So if you dont want to just "clear your wardrobe" -if you want to do something good, give something you still like. (because only this really matters)

I like what I like and I'm keeping it :P

I like what I like and I'm keeping it :P

Fair enough, just dont say "I donate" -say "i get rid of it"... :rolleyes:

Well, "what you can" could mean all different things... I used to have silver earrings and i do like to have real jewellery - but i think i can live without it, so i gave it away... and i also had bag of clothes which were mostly kind of stuff i bought and didnt like - cheap and not flattering- i gave it also, but i didnt consider it as a something really "charitable" as i didnt want this stuff anyway -I would dump it if nobody would take it! So if you dont want to just "clear your wardrobe" -if you want to do something good, give something you still like. (because only this really matters)

Ya and all I was saying was if 'what you can' give is things you have no use for than its still giving. I look at it this way....a person volunteers in their spare time. If they like to go to the gym friday evenings at six o'clock then the fact they are not giving up that time to volunteer doesn't make them any less of a giving person just because they will only volunteer in their spare time (the time they don't have any use for) does it?

IMO giving is giving no matter how much or little that may be.

Fair enough, just dont say "I donate" -say "i get rid of it"... :rolleyes:

frankly, I'll say what I want.

I look at it this way....a person volunteers in their spare time. If they like to go to the gym friday evenings at six o'clock then the fact they are not giving up that time to volunteer doesn't make them any less of a giving person just because they will only volunteer in their spare time (the time they don't have any use for) does it?

:pac: I will remain silent to this kind of comparison

:pac: I will remain silent to this kind of comparison

Grand

frankly, I'll say what I want.

-and i will think about it what i want. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Oh such irony.. Here is dictionary def, don't see specific conditions like 'must sorely miss item to be given away'. Please note in particular number 6..

2 results for: Charity

char·i·ty [char-i-tee]
    –noun, plural -ties.
    1. generous actions or donations to aid the poor, ill, or helpless: to devote one's life to charity.
    2. something given to a person or persons in need; alms: She asked for work, not charity.
    3. a charitable act or work.
    4. a charitable fund, foundation, or institution: He left his estate to a charity.
    5. benevolent feeling, esp. toward those in need or in disfavor: She looked so poor that we fed her out of charity.
    6. leniency in judging others; forbearance: She was inclined to view our selfish behavior with charity.
    7. Christian love; agape.
    [Origin: 1125–75; ME charite < OF < L cāritāt- (s. of cāritās), equiv. to cār(us) dear (akin to caress, cherish, Kama, whore) + -itāt- -ity

OP, friend said there's a sign in Westside newsagents advertising clothes bought by the pound.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Oh such irony.. Here is dictionary def, don't see specific conditions like 'must sorely miss item to be given away'. Please note in particular number 6..

2 results for: Charity

char·i·ty [char-i-tee]
    –noun, plural -ties.
    1. generous actions or donations to aid the poor, ill, or helpless: to devote one's life to charity.
    2. something given to a person or persons in need; alms: She asked for work, not charity.
    3. a charitable act or work.
    4. a charitable fund, foundation, or institution: He left his estate to a charity.
    5. benevolent feeling, esp. toward those in need or in disfavor: She looked so poor that we fed her out of charity.
    6. leniency in judging others; forbearance: She was inclined to view our selfish behavior with charity.
    7. Christian love; agape.
    [Origin: 1125–75; ME charite < OF < L cāritāt- (s. of cāritās), equiv. to cār(us) dear (akin to caress, cherish, Kama, whore) + -itāt- -ity

OP, friend said there's a sign in Westside newsagents advertising clothes bought by the pound.

What about using your own head sometimes instead of ready definition?
    All i want to say is -sometimes people (like one person above) think they are so generous because they give bag of old crap to charity and in my opininion true help is something completely different. True help requires some sacrifice and thats for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

All i want to say is -sometimes people (like one person above) think they are so generous because they give bag of old crap to charity and in my opininion true help is something completely different. True help requires some sacrifice and thats for sure.

I used it because it supports not defines my own personal view. It is all just an opinion, but I find it a little judgemental to put parameters on charity, it is different for everyone. Some people may need to sell stuff, others may have a large family to whom they pass things on etc. By the limited definition most millionaires are not even really giving to charity as they are not truly *going without*, yet if they stopped giving, the consequences on current aid programmes would be devastating!!

And sorry, we are way off topic, so I am probably done..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

I had been resisting replying to this thread, however:

Can you seriously believe what you are writing? I am of the opinion that charity, as beauty, is in the eye of the beholder (that is to say, if somebody is in need, it will not matter to them whether the person who has donated an item of clothing has had to give up something of value-or just decided to donate instead of throw away).

I feel like you are getting the definitions of Charity (as outlined above) and Sacrifice mixed up...

Sacrifice (from a Middle English verb meaning "to make sacred", from Old French, from Latin sacrificium: sacer, "sacred" + facere, "to make") is commonly known as the practice of offering food, objects (typically valuables), or the lives of animals or people to the gods as an act of propitiation or worship. The term is also used metaphorically to describe selfless good deeds for others or a short term loss in return for a greater gain, such as in a game of chess. Recently it has also come into use as meaning doing without something or giving something up.

spender.j wrote: »

Can you seriously believe what you are writing?

I feel like you are getting the definitions of Charity (as outlined above) and Sacrifice mixed up...

-i dont have to belive it, i know it,

-and you feel wrong. :rolleyes: and thanks for another definition -i dont have to read it or google it to understand such a basic notion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

maja I know you say you're foreign and all so we're supposed to give you the benefit of the doubt, but even if english is not your first language you probably speak a language where such linguistic devices as nuance and expressions are prevalent so why act as if everything is meant literally when you know its not?

maja I know you say you're foreign and all so we're supposed to give you the benefit of the doubt, but even if english is not your first language you probably speak a language where such linguistic devices as nuance and expressions are prevalent so why act as if everything is meant literally when you know its not?

Does me beeing foreign has anything to do with the subject of "giving" (not this thread subject -i know :rolleyes:) ?
    -and why do you think you are "supposed to give me benefit of the doubt"? :eek: from pm's i receive i know who wants to understand what i am saying does it and there is no problem. Problem is when there is no logic in someones conclusions...

"why act as if everything is meant literally when you know its not" ??? :confused:

-this really doesnt make any sense - i think i do just the opposite by saying you cant just copy a definition of something and think you are smart...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

pretty much proving my point there maja, good stuff, well done. (look up the dictionary defintion of sarcasm there's a good child).

pretty much proving my point there maja, good stuff, well done. (look up the dictionary defintion of sarcasm there's a good child).

Good for you to have illusions about how smart you are... ;) internet guru :D, but i am sorry to say -it makes no sense again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

FFS - this is why we can't have nice things.

I've only just seen this thread, locking now with cards & bannings to come later.

/moderation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement