Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hinge help

Options
  • 05-08-2010 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Id appreciate any help any of youguys can give.

Ive attached a pic of the plans for a storage unit. The unit
    will be kept relatively unsheltered in a back garden.
    I have built a good quality rectangular one, but that is
    under a sheltered patio.

My question is, what do I do for hinges? Will there be trouble
    having the slope? (i need it to run heavy rainfall off)

Any ideas would be great,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Any treated ie galvanised or painted hinge will do the job.

T_Hinge___Strap_Hinge.jpg&t=1

Now, for the big issue! If that box is in an unsheltered area you'd need a pretty good seal to keep the contents of the box dry as water will get in at the opening joint. Perhaps if you covered all the top of the unit in a mineral felt, one piece, with an overhang at the sides that'd help and still allow you to open and close the unit from the top. Failing that have the door at the front of the unit with an overhang on the 'roof' let water run off clear of the unit (actually you'll need to let the lid run out over the unit a little even if you are having a top opening)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

mineral felt... (actually you'll need to let the lid run out over the unit a little even if you are having a top opening)

yep, thats it! Thanks a mill for that!
    Hope I dont have to buy a huge roll of that stuff. (could do the roof of my car though)

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Any treated ie galvanised or painted hinge will do the job.

T_Hinge___Strap_Hinge.jpg&t=1

Now, for the big issue! If that box is in an unsheltered area you'd need a pretty good seal to keep the contents of the box dry as water will get in at the opening joint. Perhaps if you covered all the top of the unit in a mineral felt, one piece, with an overhang at the sides that'd help and still allow you to open and close the unit from the top. Failing that have the door at the front of the unit with an overhang on the 'roof' let water run off clear of the unit (actually you'll need to let the lid run out over the unit a little even if you are having a top opening)

+1

OP: My first box had as ur design and it lasted no time.

The current release has the hinges at the back, under an over hang.

They are heavy duty strap hinges that if fitted on a gate would allow gate to be lifted off.

The top is WPB which gets a lick of sadolins now and again.

The edges I covered with Alu tape to stop the water getting into the ply

The mineral felt can be a pain to work with, hence the above

ps the overhang is all the way around with a 40 mm down-stand also covered in Alu tape

Advertisement