Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Payments for Dogs?.

• 06-08-2010 12:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭

Can you get a social welfare payment towards your dogs? I heard this twice recently but i have been unable to find any information on it. Is it true or an urban myth?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Its for a certain breeds of dog.not sure which . it was mentioned recently in some newspaper articles.also there is a scheme where someone on a social welfare payment can have their dog neutered/spayed at a huge discount I think its about €30 or less.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

The community welfare officer used to give money towards the upkeep of dogs,you would have to see your local CWO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

yabadabado wrote: »
    Its for a certain breeds of dog.not sure which . it was mentioned recently in some newspaper articles.also there is a scheme where someone on a social welfare payment can have their dog neutered/spayed at a huge discount I think its about €30 or less.

I got them neutered alright as they where rescue dogs it was part of the deal that once they got to 7 months i had to have them neutered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Charities that offer spaying services generally do it free for welfare recipients - a very good idea.

However I don't think there is officially a payment any more for pets. In fairness, there are humans getting only 100 a week and loads getting nothing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Seriously?? A payment for DOGS?

Why should someone get an increased payment just cos they have a dog? I know vets neuter dogs for people claiming the dole at a very reduced price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Maybe it means guide dogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

dlambirl wrote: »
    Seriously?? A payment for DOGS?

Why should someone get an increased payment just cos they have a dog? I know vets neuter dogs for people claiming the dole at a very reduced price.

Yes Dogs,

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gagonmine

I think they get €14 a week towards only 1 dog but you have to have a licence for the dog is what I heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

gagonmine wrote: »
    I think they get 14 a week towards only 1 dog but you have to have a licence for the dog is what I heard
    for what?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 gagonmine

well from what I gather its to feed the dog, because a persons dole is budgeted for 1 person to live on for 1 week, I know a guy claiming for his dog and he also says hes on some kind of special diet and they give him extra money for that, total scam, some times I think i'd be better off on the dole, cost me €200 to see the doctor the other day and for meds. the government just make it so attractive I know a **** load of people who every september do the back to education thing, get the dole a little extra and then they can work up to 20 hours without having their dole touched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

There is absolutely nothing on the citizens info website that mentions a payment for dogs.

I really don't think anyone is getting extra money to feed their dog.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

In the past your CWO would have been able to give moneys for the upkeep of animals.To the best of my knowledge this was at the discretion of the said CWO,it came under supplementary welfare allowance.Also in the past you could get money for moving house if you were getting rent allowance,washing machines if you had 2 children or more.

Advertisement