Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 in 2011

Options
  • 06-08-2010 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Me and my friend are planning on going on a J1 next summer. We have not really decided on where we want to go yet. My friend wants a job on a harbor because he has experience driving boats. I'm looking for a job to do with IT (currently studying in college) but i'm not too confident i'll get a job like that. Even if its barman work I'd be happy with that.

Were also looking for somewhere with nice weather and where it is not populated with other Irish J1 students. Also does anyone know what websites are good for looking up jobs, I know its early days yet but I don't want to be organizing my job at the last second.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

The biggest site in the US is currently craigslist. You should look up some summer camps who take on students for the whole summer, they usually have jobs advertised early enough and can fill up quickly.

All the big cities are quite difficult to get jobs in, most Irish students flock to them in the summer, even American students.

Here's an interesting thread of where boardsians have been before and advise to go to.

The only thing I can recommend is that you save up a lot of money, the last thing you want is to go out there, not get a job and have to come home early. Oh, that and 'Americanise' your resume.

Also, wherever you decide to go, look up an Irish community in that area, they can be very helpful for jobs and accommodation.

Finally, when applying for jobs, you don't have to mention that you're only there for the summer, however, make sure you don't sign any 2 year contracts or anything like that, the same with housing. The US is very very strict about people leaving leases early. They will come after you!

Any other questions, just ask :D

Advertisement