Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Festival

• 06-08-2010 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

I really think Waterford should have a festival of its own...

Durrow, Mitchelstown both had decent music festivals last weekend, I know Waterford has Spraoi, but More of a dedicated Music Festival would be worth having....

Wonder would the city council go for it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭aziz

what about the dunmore bluegrass fest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Waterford City couldn't have a festival. Perhaps some field in the county, but certainly not the city itself. Would be a logistical nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Somewhere outside the city would be no problem. Sure Tramore has had music festivals over the years and this year had the one with Imelda May.
    I've always thought that curraghmore estate in portlaw would be a great place for a music festival, or at least a day gig like slane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

It would have to be something different to Oxegen and Electric Picnic though. There's a lot of festivals that draw diverse live acts, so one in Waterford wouldn't necessarily stick out.

I reckon it would have to be dedicated to a specific genre of music like Donington was for heavy metal, and Creamfields is for trance/techno.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dermo909 wrote: »
    Somewhere outside the city would be no problem. Sure Tramore has had music festivals over the years and this year had the one with Imelda May.
    I've always thought that curraghmore estate in portlaw would be a great place for a music festival, or at least a day gig like slane.

There was two in Tramore this year. The one in the Racourse and a smaller one in the Baldyman Car Park, Kav Fest/Tramore Music Festival. The one in the Racecourse was new, and may/may not be run next year.

Waterford has the "Party in the Park" one this year also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

A lot of the acts that played in the festivals in Waterford and Tramore didnt draw huge crowds, as a lot of people didnt have the money to be spending, and in my opinion, the acts werent well known, and werent crowd pullers, If a festival was to be set up a few headline acts would be needed to pull a decent crowd and to make money from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Sully wrote: »
    There was two in Tramore this year. The one in the Racourse and a smaller one in the Baldyman Car Park, Kav Fest/Tramore Music Festival. The one in the Racecourse was new, and may/may not be run next year.

Waterford has the "Party in the Park" one this year also.
    We'd hardly call them festivals though, Sully. Certainly not in the sense that the OP was talking about.

The festival down in Mitchelstown was called Indiependence and had over 100 acts playing throughout including names as big as White Lies (whose debut in 2009 made many critics best of 2009 lists) and probably every single established Irish indie/alt band including the likes of our own O Emperor. Tullamore hosted Castlepalooza which had Mercury Rev, a wildly popular alt band whose albums have been gracing Best Of lists since the early 90s, as the headliner.

Both festivals attract an enthusiastic crowd and enough for the organisers to make money too. Waterford is lacking such festivals as I definitely wouldn't consider a few acts on a now-you-see-it, now-you-don't stage on the back of a truck to be a music festival. The market is very crowded though, with these boutique festivals trying to make themselves the good value alternative to the likes of Oxegen and Electric Picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

yeah a genre specific festival would be class...

Waterford is a well known dance music city in ireland and europe, so maybe that would be the best, with a certain amount of live acts also...

Tramore would be a great area for a proper festival the size of EP....
    Plenty of spots just outside the city would be ideal also....

i think it would bring in a lot of revenue to the city or county council and the area if it was allowed to progress

Advertisement