Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem magpies

Options
  • 06-08-2010 2:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here has and suggestions for keeping magpies out of their garden.
    I have been feeding the sparrows, robins, dunnocks, blackbirds and wood pidgeons that come into my garden for years.
    At first I had what seemed to be a whole flock of sparrows and was constantly filling up feeders with nuts and seeds.
    Today numbers are so down I did not see one small bird in my garden and am left with pidgeons and loads of magpies.
    I have seen the magpies lift newly fledged chicks and as I am providing a good environment for small birds and know that has not changed, I cant help think that the magpies may have something to do with the reduction in numbers.
    One day when I scattered nuts out on the ground for pidgeons I counted 15 magpies in the garden.
    I know there are lots of arguments about magpies and here is an interesting article with some info on them
    http://www.birdcare.com/birdon/birdcare/tipsheets/magpies.html
    Has anyone here got any experience of getting rid of them in any way other than poison or traps?
    Someone suggested a model of a sparrow hawk, does this work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭andrewire

Ambersky wrote: »
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone here has and suggestions for keeping magpies out of their garden.
    I have been feeding the sparrows, robins, dunnocks, blackbirds and wood pidgeons that come into my garden for years.
    At first I had what seemed to be a whole flock of sparrows and was constantly filling up feeders with nuts and seeds.
    Today numbers are so down I did not see one small bird in my garden and am left with pidgeons and loads of magpies.
    I have seen the magpies lift newly fledged chicks and as I am providing a good environment for small birds and know that has not changed, I cant help think that the magpies may have something to do with the reduction in numbers.
    One day when I scattered nuts out on the ground for pidgeons I counted 15 magpies in the garden.
    I know there are lots of arguments about magpies and here is an interesting article with some info on them
    http://www.birdcare.com/birdon/birdcare/tipsheets/magpies.html
    Has anyone here got any experience of getting rid of them in any way other than poison or traps?
    Someone suggested a model of a sparrow hawk, does this work?

Hello. I have the same problem. All small birds are gone. Magpies are probably attacking them. My dogs hate them too and the magpies love to scare them. We have a scarecrow and they don't come as much but you still have to show them you don't like when they come so that way they'll avoid your garden. I always go out and scare them or throw stones at them --I know it sounds savage but they are annoying creatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

andrewire wrote: »
    Hello. I have the same problem. All small birds are gone. Magpies are probably attacking them. My dogs hate them too and the magpies love to scare them. We have a scarecrow and they don't come as much but you still have to show them you don't like when they come so that way they'll avoid your garden. I always go out and scare them or throw stones at them --I know it sounds savage but they are annoying creatures.

Make a loud noise every time they come in; pans clashing together are perfect.

They hate loud noise..

Under the tree they nest in is ideal; until they take off Shout at them as you do it; .. nb we have no neighbours so that is fine!

Also our wee dog is trained to "see them off..." and does so very energetically.. This has worked at every house we have been in.

Advertisement