Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portraits....

• 06-08-2010 4:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

So I'm currently over in the States for the summer, and a friend of mine wants to mess around with a large very white basement that she has. She's hoping to eventually buy the equipment needed for proper portrait photography. (I'm thinking she's leaning more towards headshots)
    So this is going to be the first test shoot in the new basement. My question is, what kind of lighting is needed to make the most of the surroundings. Flashes? Strobes or simple continous lighting softboxes etc.

The room is about 9-11ft tall and a perfect box of 50ft x 50ft. There's very little lighting downthere as is, a few small ceiling lights and 4 small windows too high up to make any difference.

So there is a rental store pretty close by that has lighting options available - but I'm unsure as to what lighting options are best. I'm half tempted just to get a disc reflector, a soft box with monolight and then another monolight just in case.
    http://www.glazerscamera.com/rentals-lighting.html

I'm just looking for advice or do's and don'ts - as I want to maximise our rental time!

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

So I'm currently over in the States for the summer, and a friend of mine wants to mess around with a large very white basement that she has. She's hoping to eventually buy the equipment needed for proper portrait photography. (I'm thinking she's leaning more towards headshots)
    So this is going to be the first test shoot in the new basement. My question is, what kind of lighting is needed to make the most of the surroundings. Flashes? Strobes or simple continous lighting softboxes etc.

The room is about 9-11ft tall and a perfect box of 50ft x 50ft. There's very little lighting downthere as is, a few small ceiling lights and 4 small windows too high up to make any difference.

So there is a rental store pretty close by that has lighting options available - but I'm unsure as to what lighting options are best. I'm half tempted just to get a disc reflector, a soft box with monolight and then another monolight just in case.
    http://www.glazerscamera.com/rentals-lighting.html

I'm just looking for advice or do's and don'ts - as I want to maximise our rental time!

Sounds like a perfect little set up for commercial stuff.

In terms of lighting well it totally depends on the shoot. If it's just head shots then you will be fine with a softbox as you will want a soft flatering light.

I terms of positioning, well mess around with it. Personally I'd light from above (it's the most flattering)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

thefly wrote: »
    Personally I'd light from above (it's the most flattering)

45 degrees to the axis of the viewer and 45 degrees up. 1 strobe and an umbrella. Lovely.

Advertisement