Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If UPC bring in 100MB, will the...

• 06-08-2010 8:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

Fair Usage Data be upgraded to 500GB. The crazy stuff you could download in no time. For 1GB that'd be 1 minute 2 seconds.

They would have to.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you'd think so, but they upgraded us from 20mbps to 30mbps and didn't change it, so who knows until the time comes.

its a fair point that i've already made elsewhere though, you could pretty much flatten the 250gb FUP in around 6 hours on downloads alone. less if they give it a 10mbps upload and you're uploading at the same time.

frankly, i'd rather stick with 30mbps and have them change the FUP to 500gb than have 100mbps with a 250gb FUP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

CorkMan wrote: »
    Fair Usage Data be upgraded to 500GB. The crazy stuff you could download in no time. For 1GB that'd be 1 minute 2 seconds.
    Good luck on finding a fully untcontended internet pipe that you and only you use over to another server but beside that; why would you need to download MORE then before? All it means is you can get it down faster instead of waiting 1h you get it in 30 min etc.
    They would have to.
    No they would not because once again only a very small percentage of people even hit today's cap and honestly those are the type of customers UPC would not want to have in their network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Michael Doherty

Fair usage data ----> a complete rip-off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Does anyone know when/if they will be upping it? I'd be pretty interested, even if they didnt up the cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Nody wrote: »

No they would not because once again only a very small percentage of people even hit today's cap and honestly those are the type of customers UPC would not want to have in their network.

Your living in the past full games and HD movies on Demand are part of the Xbox service Itunes offer Movies on demand.

Games demos run to a Gig or more most of the time along with firmware updates and so on.

I like to listen to music on Youtube and other video sites.

Very little of my usage now is on text-based web pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Ranicand wrote: »
    Your living in the past full games and HD movies on Demand are part of the Xbox service Itunes offer Movies on demand.

Games demos run to a Gig or more most of the time along with firmware updates and so on.

I like to listen to music on Youtube and other video sites.

Very little of my usage now is on text-based web pages.

very true

since i got my HDTV all i download is hd movies and programs.

and i download all my music in 320kps.

and i do a far bit of streaming my music collection wherever i go.

im sure that they will need to up the fup because since you can download faster you can download more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

--RANT BEGINNING--

This is really confusing , why would they have up the cap if they up the speeds , there just upping the speed!

UPC are not forcing you to download more just because the connection is faster! It is purely up to YOU how much you download. Just beacause it's possible download more things in a month because it's faster , you don't have to.:rolleyes:

PLus , im on o2 , download songs , stuff for flight sim , ps3 online , youtube etc and usaually stay well below my 10gb allowance , some people will never be happy!

--RANT OVER--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    --RANT BEGINNING--

This is really confusing , why would they have up the cap if they up the speeds , there just upping the speed!

UPC are not forcing you to download more just because the connection is faster! It is purely up to YOU how much you download. Just beacause it's possible download more things in a month because it's faster , you don't have to.:rolleyes:

PLus , im on o2 , download songs , stuff for flight sim , ps3 online , youtube etc and usaually stay well below my 10gb allowance , some people will never be happy!

--RANT OVER--

You must be over 65 years of age.

--RANT BEGINNING--

--RANT OVER--

Below 10gb and your happpy :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: back at you:D.

I watched From Paris with Love on my 360 last night in HD 6.9gb I downloaded Halo from Xbox originals 2.3gb.

The HD movies are streaming media in real-time these would not be possible on a slow connection.
    Now I assume you don't bother downloading any demos on your Playstation to see if you like a game before you waste money on it?:rolleyes:

Did you notice that Playstation store thing??? look at the size of the downloads.

Playstation and Xbox have become online experiences.

I am on UPCs top pack which they describe as UNLIMITED not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

--RANT BEGINNING--

And your clearly one of them - If your happy with what you have, good for you. But why should we settle for it.

My xbox eats through 10 - 15GB per month, i installed world of warcraft the other night on my PC which had patches in excess of 8GB to download, never mind my usage on our laptops and PC's.

I also make use of the RTE catch up service "RTE PLAYER" which again, burns through the GB's

• Advertisement

Look , it's up to you what you download , whats wrong with buying stuff on disks anyway?

And acyually gaming online uses absaloutly nothing in terms of download/upload , 2 hours of bad comany usually only uses 40mb.

Downloading stuff that can be bought on disk just as easy is the only way you will go over even a 10gb limit.

I do feel sorry for those on three's 9.99 a month deal , 1gb , lmoa!!!!!!

Look , it's up to you what you download , whats wrong with buying stuff on disks anyway?

And acyually gaming online uses absaloutly nothing in terms of download/upload , 2 hours of bad comany usually only uses 40mb.

Downloading stuff that can be bought on disk just as easy is the only way you will go over even a 10gb limit.

I do feel sorry for those on three's 9.99 a month deal , 1gb , lmoa!!!!!!

Youtube prisonplanet.tv HD Movies on Demand from Xbox.

Game demos to see if you like the game before you buy.

Downloading games and playing them off the hard disc saves usage on your
    consoles optical drive.

Also there are lot's of Arcade games on Xbox and Playstation that you can not buy on disc.

Downloading the media is better it means you don't even have to get out of your chair and in the case of movie rentals there is noting to return.

I have 30 megabit broadband now what is the point in having such speed if I don't take advantage of it?

Would it not be silly to pay for the extra bandwidth and avoid using anything that take advantage of it?

Xbox has full disc games for download and this is much more tidy and user-friendly than discs.

consoles optical drive.

Also there are lot's of Arcade games on Xbox and Playstation that you can not buy on disc.

Downloading the media is better it means you don't even have to get out of your chair and in the case of movie rentals there is noting to return.

I have 30 megabit broadband now what is the point in having such speed if I don't take advantage of it?

Would it not be silly to pay for the extra bandwidth and avoid using anything that take advantage of it?

Xbox has full disc games for download and this is much more tidy and user-friendly than discs.

OK I accept your point , but you should still be able to download alot with 250gb. Again it's up to the user how much they download, and I doubt many people surpass the limit.

It would be handy if you didn't have to watch your usage but sure since it would prob take me 3 days to download a 1gb file I don't have to worry about that , lol.

Does anybody know if Eircom will be uprading the lines fro house to exchange? I wan't real broadband now:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

consoles optical drive.

I am a regular online gamer and as are all my mates, your argument of downloading games and content is paper thin at best. I am very average in gaming terms, I play a few hours a night, download content scarcely and buy physical media disks like the vast majority of console users.

Xbl full game downloads are pathetic in terms of range and price, not to mention the fact when you are done and finished you have nothing to trade in on that game you paid 3 times as much to download for rather than buying pre owned.

Arcade games are called Indie games for a reason... only a small fraction of xbl users actually play them, they are the minor leagues for devs for that simple case.

Game demos.... eh games are 60 bucks (new) a go.... how many games / game demos do you have a month... on average its 2 (and thats when GOOD games are in season as it is the next good game is months away) so x2 game demos a month is... 3 gb. Wow.

Like I said, download a full game (and this is a LUXURY by the way, god forbid you would have to actually get up and go to a shop to buy something) the game is on average 2 - 3 times dearer and you have no return as you cant trade back in later.

Like it or not the AVERAGE bb user in Ireland is what will always drive the decisions of ISP's and as it stands the AVERAGE user simply does not need additional caps. The joe soap downloader does not want higher caps but does want faster speeds and thats exactly what is being server by ISP's..... if the day ever comes when the majority actually wants higher caps then I am sure we will see it but if only 10%- 5% of their customer base ether receives warning letters on fup breach or actually asks for higher caps then there is absolutely no logical or financial reason for an ISP to increase their cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

OK I accept your point , but you should still be able to download alot with 250gb. Again it's up to the user how much they download, and I doubt many people surpass the limit.

It would be handy if you didn't have to watch your usage but sure since it would prob take me 3 days to download a 1gb file I don't have to worry about that , lol.

Does anybody know if Eircom will be uprading the lines fro house to exchange? I wan't real broadband now:o

The problem i have with that single saying is simple, Yes its the users choice on what to download but what can you say if we are talking about a household.

four people in one house would equal to alot more then 250gb if they are even just average internet users.

No one is saying the 250GB limit isn't fair, In most cases it is fair but thats for a 30Mbps line and not 100Mbps. Also that would only be considering maybe 2 users. Not the avereage 4.

IM sorry but if you had the same limit you did when broadband started at around 512kb/s you would only have 4gb allowance.

So my point is when you move forward in speed, Its only natural to inscrease the limit.

P.s I think the limit should be practically virtual(at least 1tb).

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

We have 100Mbit in Switzerland for a while now. What most people forget is that it doesn't mean that you can actually download with 100Mbit/s!
    Mostly not because it's limited by your provider but because the Server where you download from does not support a 100Mbit dedicated upload.

You rarely find a site where you can download software, patches, demos, games etc. that actually supports full 100Mbit/s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

You rarely find a site where you can download software, patches, demos, games etc. that actually supports full 100Mbit/s.

But you can download a lot simultaneously at 100mbits.

Yes, it's up to the user what they download but if you're not going to get 100mbits on a single download, it's pointless. If you're not going to download a lot simultaneously, it's pointless. If you're limited to how much you can download, it's pointless. All the arguments of "just because it's fast doesn't mean..." are, you guessed it, pointless. What you're effectively saying is there is no point upgrading to 100mbits. FWIW, I've never come close to the 250GB (or whatever it is) but unless it is upped, 100mbits becomes pointless, why pay for it if you can't use it?

paulm17781 wrote: »
    but unless it is upped, 100mbits becomes pointless, why pay for it if you can't use it?

So the fact that you can download faster means nothing?
    Like it or not lads the majority of bb users dont care about their caps and thats why you never hear it in general public conversation whereas you do hear that the general public wants to download faster.

Speaking for myself I have never come across something to download and said ah I wont bother it'll be too large on my cap whereas I have said ah I wont bother it'll take ages.

I have to laugh at the greed here though, UPC are the only ISP currently trying to grow the broadband status in the country, are one of the only businesses to actually be putting the money we give BACK into the product to make it better and then giving FREE.... I'll say that again...... FREE upgrades of fairly substantial performance increases on what seems like a bi-annual basis .... people here then sulk "well dont bother if your not gonna up the cap TOO" ... it has all the same twang of a spoilt teen screaming at his mother "and get me a soda too b**ch" in a fast food joint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

hightower1 wrote: »
    Like it or not lads the majority of bb users dont care about their caps and thats why you never hear it in general public conversation whereas you do hear that the general public wants to download faster.

But being able to download faster does mean nothing. I'm streaming a hell of a lot of video - it's how much I can download that's the limiting factor otherwise I wouldn't need to be paying for a tv licence.
    OP wrote:

They would have to.

Somehow at the money they are charging for it I don't think they care...

Like it or not the AVERAGE bb user in Ireland is what will always drive the decisions of ISP's and as it stands the AVERAGE user simply does not need additional caps. The joe soap downloader does not want higher caps but does want faster speeds and thats exactly what is being server by ISP's..... if the day ever comes when the majority actually wants higher caps then I am sure we will see it but if only 10%- 5% of their customer base ether receives warning letters on fup breach or actually asks for higher caps then there is absolutely no logical or financial reason for an ISP to increase their cap.
    there you go again making up 'facts' just to suit your own argument. :rolleyes:

it would be great if you could...
    • show us a single piece of evidence that shows that your usage is in any way 'average' for a UPC 30mbps user.
    • show us a single piece of evidence that shows that the AVERAGE user simply does not need additional caps.
    • show us a single piece of evidence that shows that joe soap downloader is more interested in faster speeds and not higher caps.
    • show us a single piece of evidence that shows that only 10%- 5% of their customer base ether receives warning letters on fup breach.
    currently, on my 30mbps connection (assuming i could find somewhere to download FROM at those speeds) I can download 350mb in under 2 minutes, 700mb in less than 4 minutes and my full FUP of 250gb in a single day.

how exactly are faster speeds going to help me if I can't download MORE data when the speeds are increased to 5 times faster than they were when the 250gb FUP was introduced at the start of 2009? :confused:

i keep saying it, but people just don't listen. assuming that because YOU don't use your 30mbps connection for anything that actually utilises it's potential, it doesn't mean that nobody else does. going by the amount of poeple complaining on here about the FUP, there's plenty of people on here who DO use it up and who would like to have the FUP increased. at the very least, you opinion is certainly in the minority in the boards.ie broadband forum.

and since when did ANY company push the limits of their product to satisfy the needs of their 'average' customer? do Intel and AMD create their top end CPU's so that office workers can check their emails faster? do car manufacturers create their top of the line sports coupe's for mum's on a school run? no, they don't. they create them for the people who are going to use them. and the people who are going to use them are the people at the forefront of broadband usage who make the most of what they have now.

do you seriously expect anyone to believe that when we were all using 20mbps and UPC started out on the road to 120mbps, they decided to make their broadband 6 times faster for people who aren't even making the most of the broadband they have now? :rolleyes:

personally, I DO make the most of what I have now and for what I do currently online (streaming and/or HD video, downloading games & demo's on 3 consoles, patching multiple OS's, downloading ISO's of most new OS's as and when available to test, skype video calling, streaming and/or downloading HQ audio, file transfers, remote desktop), 30mbps is actually plenty fast enough and given the choice, I'd rather have a higher upload and an increased FUP than have a faster download rate and I'm sure I'm not alone.

faster speeds are meaningless if you can't use them and since even now there are only very rare circumstances where you can make the most of a 30mbps connection currently and if you did you'd have surpassed the current FUP in under 24 hours, 100mbps doesn't actually have any advantage for very many people at all.

in my experience you can't even download OS updates, games/demos, music, streaming video (inc. HD) at anything near 30mbps at this point in time. even pulling a single linux ISO from the HEAnet FTP servers is rarely going to top out your 30mbps connection, let alone a 100mbps one unless you are downloading multiple ISO's from different HEAnet FTP servers at the same time, but how often does that happen?

the only use for a 100mbps connection that you can't do with a 30mbps connection is several multi-source high bandwidth downloads at the same time. i'm talking about torrenting or RS + full HD video streaming + other uploads and/or downloads such as FTP and other file sharing services.

at that speed, even heavy duty web browsing, email, even rich content like youtube is only going to account for at most 1-5% of your bandwidth, so it's hardly even worth mentioning.

at 100mbps, (assuming you can even find anything to download that fast) your FUP for the month is gone in under 6 hours. what are you going to do with that 100mbps connection for the rest of the month? :rolleyes:
    Speaking for myself I have never come across something to download and said ah I wont bother it'll be too large on my cap whereas I have said ah I wont bother it'll take ages.
    an example of something like this would be great, you're just making up stuff again and it's pointless.

please feel free to give us just one single example of something that you can't be bothered downloading because it'll take too long with a 30mbps connection and where you might find something like that to download at those speeds.

5mb mp3 = 1 second
    175mb tv show = 50 seconds
    350mb tv show = 1 minute 40 seconds
    700mb divx movie = 3 minutes 20 seconds
    1.4gb divx movie = 6 minutes 40 seconds
    4gb dvd = 20 minutes
    9gb dvd = 45 minutes

i'd keep going, but since by your own admission you don't use anywhere near the 250gb FUP as an 'average' user, there wouldn't be a lot of point. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Fair usage data ----> a complete rip-off

So you'd prefer if the offered higher usage, and just charged all customers accross the board, a hell of a lot more.

:rolleyes:

I am a very regular internet user.

Have an Xbox which I use daily, ownload movies, songs, games, applications on a very reular basis.

Only DL in HD.

Go through whole series regularly.

On youtube constantly, and always go for 720 or 1080 if possible.

And guess what.

I average at around 150 GB a month.
    A whole 100 GB to spare.

When I went from the 12, to the 20, to the 30, my usage went from 100- 150 roughly.
    And that's because it was over a year, not because of new speeds.

But guess what.
    That's just me.

Why the dozen or so people here seem to think that their personal experreinces equate to the more than 150,000 customers that UPC have, is mind boggling!

You do not = every UPC customer!!!

i'm sure that UPc will increase their AUP, as with Docsis 3, they will be ale to allow more bandwidth through the network.
    The AUP is in force because it allows them to offer faster/cheaper Broadband than anyone else, on a much broader level.

It's not a personal slight on you.

If they were to offer higher usage limits, they would need to spend a lot more on their network, which means that they would have to charge you a lot more, and that their speed increases would take longer, meaning there would be no 100MB broadnband, that hasn't even come out yet, and that ye know nothing about, to complain about!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, I love how if somebody doesn't see an AUP as a challenge they must be OAP's and grandpas who don't know what the internet is!
    get off your high horses.

vibe666 wrote: »
    there you go again making up 'facts' just to suit your own argument. :rolleyes:

it would be great if you could...
    • show us a single piece of evidence that shows that your usage is in any way 'average' for a UPC 30mbps user.
    • show us a single piece of evidence that shows that the AVERAGE user simply does not need additional caps.
    • show us a single piece of evidence that shows that joe soap downloader is more interested in faster speeds and not higher caps.
    • show us a single piece of evidence that shows that only 10%- 5% of their customer base ether receives warning letters on fup breach.

Good point, can you show me evidence to the contrary? No? Thats cause unless you personally want to survey all their customers no one has "evidence" only personal experience here.
    ISPs are here to make money.. you do that by answering demand of your customers... so your product range reflects their wants.... and as you said the cap has stayed static for the last year while speeds have gone up... what does that tell you?

currently, on my 30mbps connection (assuming i could find somewhere to download FROM at those speeds) I can download 350mb in under 2 minutes, 700mb in less than 4 minutes and my full FUP of 250gb in a single day.

And what is this meant to prove? That you can breach a cap in a day? Would you rather be with Eircom and breach the cap at a slower speed in less time?

how exactly are faster speeds going to help me if I can't download MORE data when the speeds are increased to 5 times faster than they were when the 250gb FUP was introduced at the start of 2009? :confused:

I think you answered your own question .... you can down load what your already happy downloading .....FASTER?!:rolleyes:
    So if you won the lotto you wouldnt buy a super car simply cause you couldnt drive it on the roads at top speed all the time, otherwise whats the point I guess :rolleyes:
    i keep saying it, but people just don't listen. assuming that because YOU don't use your 30mbps connection for anything that actually utilises it's potential, it doesn't mean that nobody else does. going by the amount of poeple complaining on here about the FUP, there's plenty of people on here who DO use it up and who would like to have the FUP increased. at the very least, you opinion is certainly in the minority in the boards.ie broadband forum.

We all know that boards.ie forum is for the minority of Irish people who are tech savy. Like I said , upc are a very successful ISP as is, they do this by supplying what the majority of people ask for and look at whee we are now... static cap but faster speeds.... I wonder who asked for that??
    do car manufacturers create their top of the line sports coupe's for mum's on a school run? no, they don't. they create them for the people who are going to use them.

How wrong that is... take ferrari for example, only an idot would say they have EVER tried to market to school run moms, they know the majority of their customer base do not use their product for things like that but use them for high performance driving and quality. Ferrari do not cater to fords market they cater to their own and any good company caters to what its OWN customer base wants, not someone elses.
    do you seriously expect anyone to believe that when we were all using 20mbps and UPC started out on the road to 120mbps, they decided to make their broadband 6 times faster for people who aren't even making the most of the broadband they have now? :rolleyes:

What you believe doesn't matter, your not my ISP. They make it faster simply because when your looking at posters of isp product you look at 2 things... price and speed. Lower price and higher speed regardless of if you use it or not will get your attention to that ISP.
    personally, I DO make the most of what I have now and for what I do currently online (streaming and/or HD video, downloading games & demo's on 3 consoles, patching multiple OS's, downloading ISO's of most new OS's as and when available to test, skype video calling, streaming and/or downloading HQ audio, file transfers, remote desktop), 30mbps is actually plenty fast enough and given the choice, I'd rather have a higher upload and an increased FUP than have a faster download rate and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Surely your not alone... but your certainly not the majority of UPC customers otherwise a pack such as you describe would be in place or being introduced in the foreseeable future.
    faster speeds are meaningless if you can't use them and since even now there are only very rare circumstances where you can make the most of a 30mbps connection currently and if you did you'd have surpassed the current FUP in under 24 hours, 100mbps doesn't actually have any advantage for very many people at all.

I am sure an major ISP would not release a product that is completely useless and will not sell , thats ridiculous. By your logic sure why does any broadband connection run above 30mbps at all? Last I checked other isp's globally had MORE than 30mbps connections with 250gb or less caps but then again I guess they were just mad right?

(Here is just one very quick google search example, 50mbps with 250gb cap http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10073404-2.html )

the only use for a 100mbps connection that you can't do with a 30mbps connection is several multi-source high bandwidth downloads at the same time. i'm talking about torrenting or RS + full HD video streaming + other uploads and/or downloads such as FTP and other file sharing services.

BUT yet you were asking why even bother have 100mbps earlier and now here you are giving reasons why??! Just because you are downloading from multiple sources means you have to download more? If anything I would prefer to spend less time in my day downloading and being able to run several at once, finish and be done with it quicker is very handy.

at 100mbps, (assuming you can even find anything to download that fast) your FUP for the month is gone in under 6 hours. what are you going to do with that 100mbps connection for the rest of the month? :rolleyes:

So what you do now downloading wise you can ether do in a shorter space of time as you can run multiple downloads at once.... or in your world you can now do 6 times as much but spend the same amount if time doing it. I think you misunderstand the concept of faster speeds, ya know the whole point is you get what you want done faster / have time for an actual life and not start inventing more things would want and spend the same amount of time at your computer.

please feel free to give us just one single example of something that you can't be bothered downloading because it'll take too long with a 30mbps connection and where you might find something like that to download at those speeds.

I believe I shall answer your question with your own answer form above...

....;)

Like it or not, your priorities are not the same as the majority or broadband consumers in Ireland at the moment, like I said you can gauge what the majority want based upon what the people hoping to make money of said wants actually supply. Looking at trends the majority want faster speeds, dont care about caps and want cheaper prices. These are their wants and no matter how much you wish and hope and ISP will give you more of a cap and greater upload speeds... that is simply not financially viable to go against what the main body of consumers want to supply you with your wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

tbh i think FUP's should be illegal or calling a package "unlimited". each package should state the exact amount of usage allowed before they either throttle u or u receive further charges.

and with each speed u should be able to pay more for more bandwidth. so for instance the 30mb upc should start at its current monthly price for 250gb as it is currently and then there should be an option to pay extra for extra bandwidth. this would also cover the ppl who want the extra speed without the extra bandwidth when it gets to 120mb and also caters for the heavy downloaders who want the extra bandwidth with the speed!

tbh its fairly simple and would save all this bull**** and arguing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

tazzzZ wrote: »
    tbh i think FUP's should be illegal or calling a package "unlimited". each package should state the exact amount of usage allowed before they either throttle u or u receive further charges.

and with each speed u should be able to pay more for more bandwidth. so for instance the 30mb upc should start at its current monthly price for 250gb as it is currently and then there should be an option to pay extra for extra bandwidth. this would also cover the ppl who want the extra speed without the extra bandwidth when it gets to 120mb and also caters for the heavy downloaders who want the extra bandwidth with the speed!

Yes its really something to expect a company to be honest isn't it!:rolleyes:

I have to laugh at the greed here though, UPC are the only ISP currently trying to grow the broadband status in the country, are one of the only businesses to actually be putting the money we give BACK into the product to make it better and then giving FREE.... I'll say that again...... FREE upgrades of fairly substantial performance increases on what seems like a bi-annual basis .... people here then sulk "well dont bother if your not gonna up the cap TOO" ... it has all the same twang of a spoilt teen screaming at his mother "and get me a soda too b**ch" in a fast food joint.

Craig Doyle posts to boards.ie:D

blah blah blah, waffle, waffle
    yet again, all you're doing is stating your opinion as fact to try and support an argument that is so paper thin it barely even registers and really isn't worth re-posting or replying to on the grounds that there simply isn't anything worth responding to.

oh, except this which is an absolute chestnut thanks :D:
    (Here is just one very quick google search example, 50mbps with 250gb cap http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10073404-2.html )
    Cost aside, what may be the most controversial aspect of this speed bump is that subscribers of the residential plans will get no higher cap over the 250GB monthly limit which was instated earlier this October. Comcast's own release prides the new Extreme plan on letting customers "download a high-def movie (6 GB) in about 16 minutes, a standard-def movie (2 GB) in about 5 minutes and a standard-def TV show (300 MB) in a matter of seconds." Do the math and you'll see that an extreme subscriber could easily blow past the 250 GB cap in a matter of hours.
    sorry, who's point were you trying to make there, yours or mine? :D

the difference between what I'm saying and what you're saying is that I'm laying out basic information which is easily verifiable by anyone here with a 30mbps connection, not plucking random bits of twaddle out of thin air in a desperate bid to try and support an argument that isn't actually there to argue.

you keep saying that 100mbps is going to make things 'faster' but have yet to provide any evidence that in real world terms it's going to make any difference to anyone currently on the 30mbps package.

and who mentioned ferrari? all the major car mfg's make high performance cars. ford, opel, bmw, mercedes, nissan & toyota etc. and none of them are made for school runs or their 'average' customer.

at time of writing this, there are 2066 (557 registered) users online and only 19 of those are in the broadband forum with only 40 in total in all of the 'tech' parent forum (excluding the cable tv one). boards.ie has a great deal more to offer the world at large than just a broadband forum for a few tech savvy users and i'm pretty sure the opinions expressed here are far more diverse than you appear to believe. the diversity of the forums within the site as a whole and the numbers of people using it more than shows that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

tazzzZ wrote: »

But it is unlimited, with an AUP.
    Lots of people here have mentioned downloading way of excess of 250, but certain posters here keep on ignoring them, cause it doesn't suit them or their arguments.
    I'd guess(*) that less than 1,000 people have ever gotten a letter from UPC.
    Out of over 170,000 customers that they have.
    A good few people on this very site have stated that they regularly go way over 250 usage with no contact from UPC or no problem.

Could it be that UPC are giving you exactly what they say?!!:eek:

UPC say that you can use whatever you want, unless your usage is effecting other customers or effecting their network.
    If they see slow speeds in an area, and then discover that 10 users out of 100 are downloading way more than everyone else, and slowing it down for the other 90, then it's UPC's job to protect the speeds for the other 90.

This is basic, simple, common sense.
    (Also the reason why it's ignored here!:D)

If however you're downloading 600GB in a month, but happen to live in an area with no slow speeds, cause only 1 or 2 people out of 100 are high capacity users.
    Then UPC let you off, cause the 98/99 other people are having no problems.

It really is that simple, but the tin foil hat brigade will just ignore this post as they always do.

Why?
    I've no idea.
    Maybe it makes them feel important to complain.

Just like they're complaining here about a "Cap" for a package that doesn't even exist yet!!!!!!!:confused:
    They have no idea what limitations are going to be in place, but they are already complaining.
    Proving the point that these people are just wanting to complain and put down UPC, even when they have no reason to do so.

(* I'm saying "guess" cause we don't know, and unlike some people here I try not to make things up.)

But it is unlimited, with an AUP.
    Lots of people here have mentioned downloading way of excess of 250, but certain posters here keep on ignoring them, cause it doesn't suit them or their arguments.
    I'd guess(*) that less than 1,000 people have ever gotten a letter from UPC.
    Out of over 170,000 customers that they have.
    A good few people on this very site have stated that they regularly go way over 250 usage with no contact from UPC or no problem.

Could it be that UPC are giving you exactly what they say?!!:eek:

UPC say that you can use whatever you want, unless your usage is effecting other customers or effecting their network.
    If they see slow speeds in an area, and then discover that 10 users out of 100 are downloading way more than everyone else, and slowing it down for the other 90, then it's UPC's job to protect the speeds for the other 90.

This is basic, simple, common sense.
    (Also the reason why it's ignored here!:D)

If however you're downloading 600GB in a month, but happen to live in an area with no slow speeds, cause only 1 or 2 people out of 100 are high capacity users.
    Then UPC let you off, cause the 98/99 other people are having no problems.

It really is that simple, but the tin foil hat brigade will just ignore this post as they always do.

Why?
    I've no idea.
    Maybe it makes them feel important to complain.

Just like they're complaining here about a "Cap" for a package that doesn't even exist yet!!!!!!!:confused:
    They have no idea what limitations are going to be in place, but they are already complaining.
    Proving the point that these people are just wanting to complain and put down UPC, even when they have no reason to do so.

(* I'm saying "guess" cause we don't know, and unlike some people here I try not to make things up.)

If something is unlimited it doesn't come with qualifications.

If something is unlimited it doesnt depend on where you live.

Should some customers supposedly on the same product be restricted more than others?

Why can't UPC simply be honest with what they are selling?

Then they would not need "blind" fanboys.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

As Hobbit stomper put it...

The cap (whoops! AUP, phew) of 250GB largely makes 100mbps pointless as there are few advantages, the speed will rarely be reached for a single download and if you downloads (to get more simultaneously) you're probably a) not in a hurry) b) going to reach 250GB very quickly.

I'm not concerned about the cap, I just think it is pointless to get that speed when you have that cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Looks like UPC.ie have their own speed test software in preparation of 100/120!

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/speedtest/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement