Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If UPC bring in 100MB, will the...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

This is not true. There is still an AUP of 250GB on their Extreme package.

There is no AUP on the extreme package, That is the whole argument here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

"“Excessive use” of the Service is defined as usage exceeding your monthly data transfer allowance.

If you exceed your monthly data transfer allowance as determined by UPC, in our sole judgment, UPC may take any of the following actions, or any combination thereof:
    Impose a charge of 3 cent per megabyte or part thereof for exceeding your data transfer limit; and/or
    Upgrade your package to a package with a higher data transfer limit with the corresponding higher monthly fee; and/or
    Downgrade your upload and download speed for a period of one month to dial-up speed, with your monthly fee remaining the same; and/or
    Suspend your access to the services for one month, with your monthly fee remaining the same; and/or"

Instead of complaining about getting a letter for going 250GB over.

I'd just be happy with the letter, I mean, if they were to impose the 3c per mb fine, thats a 7500 fine you'd be getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

This is not true. There is still an AUP of 250GB on their Extreme package.

yes it is true, there is no AUP on the extreme package.

the broadband ultra package (now called "upc fibre power broadband 30mbps") has a 250gb AUP. the extreme package is not advertised and is basically double the cost of the ultra package (i.e. €80 odd quid) but at the same speed with no AUP and it's what you get moved onto if you break the AUP repeatedly in a high usage area (i.e. when UPC will send you a letter).
    DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Instead of complaining about getting a letter for going 250GB over.

I'd just be happy with the letter, I mean, if they were to impose the 3c per mb fine, thats a 7500 fine you'd be getting.
    that would be all well and good if they actually told you the limit was 250gb but they don't, not until you go over the limit, and (apparently) only then when you're in a high usage area and the wind is blowing at at least 5km/h from a north-easterly direction when there's a full moon, etc. etc.

my point being that there is no set rule or advertised limits for the product they are selling despite the 'official' (comreg) rules saying otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I would imagine that for the vast majority of users, they never go over the 250Gb cap (or in many cases even come close) so for those people it truly is unlimited.

I agree that they should make it clearer, buts let face it UPC is a business and the marketing slogan "Unlimited Broadband" sounds a lot better than including a FUP into the ad material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

vibe666 wrote: »

my point being that there is no set rule or advertised limits for the product they are selling despite the 'official' (comreg) rules saying otherwise.

Has anyone challenged this yet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

moonboy52 wrote: »
    I would imagine that for the vast majority of users, they never go over the 250Gb cap (or in many cases even come close) so for those people it truly is unlimited.

I agree that they should make it clearer, buts let face it UPC is a business and the marketing slogan "Unlimited Broadband" sounds a lot better than including a FUP into the ad material.

The fact that UPC is a business does not entitle them or any other business to lie to customers and it is the sort of "lets face it" attitude which allows business to get away with this type of behaviour.

And if a product has a cap it is limited plain and simple. You may not reach the cap just as you many never drive near the speed limit doesn't mean its not there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I agree with you man. So much vitriol over the matter.

It helps to understand why UPC do what they do and i put forward a potential reason why they do it.

I agree with you man. So much vitriol over the matter.

It helps to understand why UPC do what they do and i put forward a potential reason why they do it.

Its not about vitriol its about persistence and trying to get people to think about these things. How can it help to understand why UPC lie blatantly to customers and would be customers? All they (and other companies) have to do is be honest - it is not exactly that hard.

This contempt for rules and regulations and peoples' passivity towards the behaviour made a serious contribution to the banking disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Well IMO people watching 720P videos on youtube can dowload more than they think they are downloading. I watched a interview which lasted 13 minutes the other day and it was 199MB. I watched a truly hi-def video and it used 413MB in 4:29.

The broadband is so fast it downloads even that movie in a bit. Sure an average blu-ray movie is 15GB in size, I can see how even your average customer CAN go over the limit, without thinking they have a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

An installer told me that the Docsis 3.0 modems are coming out next week. I didn't ask about speeds or caps.

• Advertisement

paulm17781 wrote: »
    An installer told me that the Docsis 3.0 modems are coming out next week. I didn't ask about speeds or caps.

Can you clarify what you mean by 'coming out'

Are they being posted out to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Thor wrote: »

Are they being posted out to people.

I didn't ask. We were having a discussion and he mentioned it was coming out next week. I didn't ask for more details.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I didn't ask. We were having a discussion and he mentioned it was coming out next week. I didn't ask for more details.

Ah no worries, Its good to hear that they are even aware of them and next week is also good to hear.

I hope they are actually launching it and not just going to be testing it in 'some' locations and will wait a good long time before launching it everywhere else.

Thor wrote: »
    maybe they've been hiding them in a closet? :D

well, it's good news anyway and bodes well for 'august' still being the launch date. :)

maybe they've been hiding them in a closet? :D

well, it's good news anyway and bodes well for 'august' still being the launch date. :)

Lets hope! I was told by @weareupc on twitter that they hope to launch it by the end of august.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Got Tv installed yesterday.. Tech was telling me he was trained in on new modems last week for the 100gb broadband n that they should be rolling out within a month... €85 a month for 100gb... As he said, get it in one house n split it between 10 houses. 10mb BB for €8.50pm :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Just like this thread where they complain about a "cap" that doesn't even exist yet!

A "cap" that doesn't exist? Haha, you're taking the p*ss.

In June we downloaded 327GB or thereabouts. In July we got a nice letter from UPC telling us that they "noticed the service in our area was degrading" and that most of the time this happens it's because of heavy users. They warned us to stay within our cap or we'll be placed on a higher package automatically the next time we go over it. I highly doubt the service was degraded either because while the total downloaded was over the cap, we're still on the 10mbps package from years ago while they're offering 30mpbs all over the place. A slow load over a long time is less degrading than a high-load.

Even more hilarious is that the higher package is €99 per month and means we can download terabytes if we want. I'm sure that'll degrade the service even more than our extra 77GB, but once we're paying for it, UPC don't seem to give a sh*t.
    moonboy52 wrote:

Yes, but there are standards that must be adhered to. Pseudo-unlimited is not unlimited. Just like the mobile BB quickly had to change their adverts from "3.6mbps broadband" to "up to 3.6mbps broadband".
    unklerosco wrote: »
    Got Tv installed yesterday.. Tech was telling me he was trained in on new modems last week for the 100gb broadband n that they should be rolling out within a month... €85 a month for 100gb... As he said, get it in one house n split it between 10 houses. 10mb BB for €8.50pm :-)

Not worth it. Firstly you'll have to be running Cat5 cable to your neighbours houses which'll be a pain. Secondly you're still on a 250GB cap (and anybody who says its a FUP/AUP needs a kick in the face, it's a cap), so even if you split it between 2 houses, that's 50mbit with a 125GB cap for 42.50, why not pay 50c less for 20mbit less but 125GB more? I know which of the two things (Speed vs Cap) affect me more, and it's the cap

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

un·lim·it·ed

   /ʌnˈlɪmthinsp.pngɪthinsp.pngtɪd/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled[uhn-lim-i-tid] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA
    –adjective 1. not limited; unrestricted; unconfined: unlimited trade.

2. boundless; infinite; vast: the unlimited skies.

3. without any qualification or exception; unconditional.

us·age

   /ˈyuthinsp.pngsɪdʒ, -zɪdʒ/ dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled[yoo-sij, -zij] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA
    –noun 1. a customary way of doing something; a custom or practice: the usages of the last 50 years.

2. the customary manner in which a language or a form of a language is spoken or written: English usage; a grammar based on usage rather than on arbitrary notions of correctness.

3. a particular instance of this: a usage borrowed from french.

4. any manner of doing or handling something; treatment: rough usage.

5. habitual or customary use; long-continued practice: immemorial usage.

6. an act of using or employing; use.

Seperatly they mean 2 things but together its a different story.

Can any of the high usage posters confirm that once they have hit the 250MB acceptable usage they have lost connectivity?

By my understanding Unlimited Usage means that no matter what your monthly usage is you can continue to download even after surpassing the acceptable usage...

If the Usage was Limited Usage, then once you have hit the limit you could go no further

Acceptable usage is the ammount that UPC seem fair to residential customers i.e the acceptable ammount. they penalise for this from what i can see only when this becomes service effective to others...

Extreme Package - Can ye confirm that when a person is upgraded to this automatically the are still using residential alotted bandwith and have not been moved to a business alocated upstream channel?

Any clarification on this would be appreciated as i am interested in upgrading to the 100Mb package once it is released...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

If its going to be €85 quid a month, thats insanely expensive.

Especially since most users who want this will be heavy users, and a 250 gb cap will be breached in no time...

Package makes no sense at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

Package is not confirmed do, no? can you view the package on the website?

• Advertisement

Sudsy86 wrote: »
    Seperatly they mean 2 things but together its a different story.

Can any of the high usage posters confirm that once they have hit the 250MB acceptable usage they have lost connectivity?

By my understanding Unlimited Usage means that no matter what your monthly usage is you can continue to download even after surpassing the acceptable usage...

If the Usage was Limited Usage, then once you have hit the limit you could go no further

Acceptable usage is the ammount that UPC seem fair to residential customers i.e the acceptable ammount. they penalise for this from what i can see only when this becomes service effective to others...

Extreme Package - Can ye confirm that when a person is upgraded to this automatically the are still using residential alotted bandwith and have not been moved to a business alocated upstream channel?

Any clarification on this would be appreciated as i am interested in upgrading to the 100Mb package once it is released...

There were no changes made to our account when we were moved onto extreme for a month - no increase in speeds either upstream or downstream.

Unlimited Usage should mean without conditions. A condition seems to be that if you reach 250GB you'll get bumped to a more costly package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

so if this truly unlimited package is 99 euro i could get bumped up to it,split it with 2 neighbours then all 3 of us could really go to town downloading hmmm..<ponders menacingly while stroking chin>:D

Sudsy86 wrote: »
    un·lim·it·ed.......

Seperatly they mean 2 things but together its a different story........

Could you explain how putting the adjective "unlimited" together with the noun "usage" changes the 'story' ?

so if this truly unlimited package is 99 euro i could get bumped up to it,split it with 2 neighbours then all 3 of us could really go to town downloading hmmm..<ponders menacingly while stroking chin>:D

There's probably something about not sharing in the T&C :)

There's probably something about not sharing in the T&C :)
    like there's probably something in there about using it for illegal filesharing? :pac::pac::pac:

like there's probably something in there about using it for illegal filesharing? :pac::pac::pac:

I dunno where you picked up that implication from, there are legitimate ways to breeze through your cap with 4 heavy internet users :)

I dunno where you picked up that implication from, there are legitimate ways to breeze through your cap with 4 heavy internet users :)
    well, i certainly wasn't talking about myself, that's for sure! :pac:

I can confirm that UPC 100mb shall be rolled out to houses in two weeks time, still currently undergoing testing :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I can confirm that UPC 100mb shall be rolled out to houses in two weeks time, still currently undergoing testing :pac:

What areas? They're digging up the road outside my house and laying fibre. The guys who are upgrading the copper to the house said I'd have UPC bb in 2 weeks

• Advertisement

flanzer wrote: »
    What areas? They're digging up the road outside my house and laying fibre. The guys who are upgrading the copper to the house said I'd have UPC bb in 2 weeks

I'm not sure what areas yet, apparently it'll be rolled out to a few places at first, and see if there's a strong market for it, and then probably onto everywhere else then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement