Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If UPC bring in 100MB, will the...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Runs Cold

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I can confirm that UPC 100mb shall be rolled out to houses in two weeks time, still currently undergoing testing :pac:

what source do You have for 2 weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Runs Cold wrote: »
    what source do You have for 2 weeks?
    A good one, who works for them.

there has been no official UPC announcement on the exact release date. and staff are unlikely to give exact launch dates without official confirmation.. and I have recieved no confirmation about sept 14th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

there has been no official UPC announcement on the exact release date. and staff are unlikely to give exact launch dates without official confirmation.. and I have recieved no confirmation about sept 14th

Well they did say that they were launching it in august, A deadline that has just past.

So no matter what way we look at it, They are behind schedule. Not sure why they haven't announced anything.

If they have plans for it in two weeks, Why not tell everyone.

Its not really a big secret considering they announced it months ago.

My point is people announcing things as fact when there is no concrete foundation is annoying and it makes things worse when the story spreads and the whole day goes explaining to customers that it is not available etc etc. way too much of these "official" but unconfirmed ( I heard it) type threads appear, I would prefer people to post facts.

• Advertisement

My point is people announcing things as fact when there is no concrete foundation is annoying and it makes things worse when the story spreads and the whole day goes explaining to customers that it is not available etc etc. way too much of these "official" but unconfirmed ( I heard it) type threads appear, I would prefer people to post facts.

A simple solution would be for UPC to announce something and let everyone know whats going on.

Giving everyone the false promise of 100Mb in august so that maybe they don't leave and go to another isp is wrong and the fact they haven't said anything since speaks to that.

staying quiet isn't going to make these rumors go away.

also what is wrong with people telling if they heard it from someone. There is a small chance they are right and even if they are not, Isn't that up to the reader to believe them or not.

People can't post facts when it comes to word of the mouth. If someone i knew that worked for upc told me that it was coming out in two weeks to a few places, I would tend to believe them.

however, If someone tells me that someone they know that works for upc blah blah blah. I may be a little skeptical but again i can't see why someone would lie about something like that.

Also just to mention, I was infact told by a UPC customer representative on the phone(rang them over an outage issue) I just had to ask them was there any word.

She said they are going to launch it in a few places first to test the network and then everywhere else.

So DOC09UNAM post does seem legit to me.

Thor wrote: »
    A simple solution would be for UPC to announce something and let everyone know whats going on.

Giving everyone the false promise of 100Mb in august so that maybe they don't leave and go to another isp is wrong and the fact they haven't said anything since speaks to that.

staying quiet isn't going to make these rumors go away.

also what is wrong with people telling if they heard it from someone. There is a small chance they are right and even if they are not, Isn't that up to the reader to believe them or not.

People can't post facts when it comes to word of the mouth. If someone i knew that worked for upc told me that it was coming out in two weeks to a few places, I would tend to believe them.

however, If someone tells me that someone they know that works for upc blah blah blah. I may be a little skeptical but again i can't see why someone would lie about something like that.

Also just to mention, I was infact told by a UPC customer representative on the phone(rang them over an outage issue) I just had to ask them was there any word.

She said they are going to launch it in a few places first to test the network and then everywhere else.

So DOC09UNAM post does seem legit to me.
    It's a relation of mine that's on the team for testing it in Limerick, it's what he told me, so I was sharing it with you lovely bunch of folks.

No reason to lie about it, that is unless I worked for the UPC marketing team :pac:

I am not saying he is not legit. 100Mb lines are in test, Limerick is a test site. The plan was to launch last week. the speeds will come and there will be a company announcement when they are launched, ( I heard it :D)

the only change to service this week is that the 5Mb has been replaced with the 8Mb.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    It's a relation of mine that's on the team for testing it in Limerick, it's what he told me, so I was sharing it with you lovely bunch of folks.

No reason to lie about it, that is unless I worked for the UPC marketing team :pac:

That lucky BAST*ARD

I am not saying he is not legit. 100Mb lines are in test, Limerick is a test site. The plan was to launch last week. the speeds will come and there will be a company announcement when they are launched, ( I heard it :D)

the only change to service this week is that the 5Mb has been replaced with the 8Mb.

i'm not saying it's 100% official word from upc, i'm just telling people what i Heard, probably phrased it wrong myself tbh!

• Advertisement

ah, Fair enough I will stop being grumpy now:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Can I ask who would sign up for 100mb what would a speed like that be used for????

I have the 30mb and I find that plenty

campo wrote: »
    Can I ask who would sign up for 100mb what would a speed like that be used for????

I have the 30mb and I find that plenty

Exactly whatever you use you 30mb for, But you will be able to do it faster.

Hd movies are extremely high in bandwidth and take a good awhile to download, Unless the service you are using allows for instant stream, Which in that case 30mb is fine, But if not and downloading is the only option.

Its good to have 100mb, Also games on demand, Steam, Itunes, Sky player. Alot more can be done with 100mb connection, Not just for one person but for the whole household.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

I'm glad to hear that Ireland is catching up with Broadband.

I'm from Switzerland and back in 2001 we had already unlimited download/upload with no hidden fair usage.
    It's 2010 and Irish providers still have limits of 10GB!

Most Western European countries introduced 100MB or 120MB lines years back, while Ireland is stuck with 30MB, but in reality most areas only support up to 7-12MB.

Again, I'm very happy that something like this is being done here in Ireland, next step would be to bump up all the lines that only support 12MB to 30MB.

Most Western European countries introduced 100MB or 120MB lines years back, while Ireland is stuck with 30MB, but in reality most areas only support up to 7-12MB.

Yep, and thats only cause a European cable giant bought NTL, or we would still be sitting on 1-6Mb max.

Not cause Eircom or any other DSL companies are trying to improve there speeds/service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Thor wrote: »
    Exactly whatever you use you 30mb for, But you will be able to do it faster.

Hd movies are extremely high in bandwidth and take a good awhile to download, Unless the service you are using allows for instant stream, Which in that case 30mb is fine, But if not and downloading is the only option.

Its good to have 100mb, Also games on demand, Steam, Itunes, Sky player. Alot more can be done with 100mb connection, Not just for one person but for the whole household.

Exactly...

Broadband is not just for one person going on boards.ie - lots of computers, phones, tablets, set top boxes, consoles, apple tv, google tv etc etc

100mb will soon be required - I guess a lot depends on how quickly the HD movies rental services get rolled out here... Netflix, apple / google TV etc

Don't forget, Bill Gates once said 640k memory would be enough for everyone. Then again, what did he ever achieve... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

cisk wrote: »
    Yep, and thats only cause a European cable giant bought NTL, or we would still be sitting on 1-6Mb max.

Not cause Eircom or any other DSL companies are trying to improve there speeds/service.

A lot of people aren't even getting 1mb :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Does anyone know what the limits are for upc in the european countrys that they already have the 100/120mb broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the limits are for upc in the european countrys that they already have the 100/120mb broadband

UPC Poland is 120mb for €30 a month.
    & from their T&C

There are no limits for downloads of data
    With UPC, you can download any amount of data without fear that exceed the limit and your download speed will be reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

I just got the 30MB upgrade recently and my bill looks funny. They've charged me €75 for the month, but then credited me back €33 of that for disconnecting the 25MB connection?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭KeithM23

I am on UPC and am wondering where can I find out how much I've downloaded/uploaded per month?. I know Eircom do this on their website but can't find it on UPC website, if it even exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

el dude wrote: »
    I just got the 30MB upgrade recently and my bill looks funny. They've charged me €75 for the month, but then credited me back €33 of that for disconnecting the 25MB connection?
    i imagine their billing system isn't set up to handle it any other way. as long as you end up paying the right amount at the end of the month you're grand.

if you have the triple play it's €42 inc. VAT, but if you only have broadband or BB plus phone, you pay €49.75 inc. VAT (€7.75 standalone charge for no triple play) for the broadband (plus another €6 for the phone).

and since €75 - €33 = €42, it looks like you're all peachy and do indeed have the triple play. :)
    KeithM23 wrote: »
    I am on UPC and am wondering where can I find out how much I've downloaded/uploaded per month?. I know Eircom do this on their website but can't find it on UPC website, if it even exists.
    you can't. you need to monitor it yourself as UPC do not provide any means (for you) to monitor your usage from your end, although they're happy to send you warning letters and automatically upgrade you if you go over their set limits. :)

if you only have one pc then google for "bandwidth monitor" and install it on your PC to measure your approximate usage. if you have a lot of devices and you're not in a position to install bandwidth monitoring software on them all (games consoles for example) then you'll need to get a broadband router with bandwidth monitoring capabilities.

also remember that UPC's 250gb FUP/AUP limit is measuring your downloads + uploads, so every byte counts, no matter which direction it's going in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Would anyone know how to find out if your area is being upgraded for broadband?

I'm in Limerick.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Lots of people in Limerick have higher speed UPC. I'd guess only UPC know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

watty wrote: »
    Lots of people in Limerick have higher speed UPC. I'd guess only UPC know.

Yeah, I used to, but I moved :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I read in one of those daily updates from enn(I think) that claimed Limerick, Dublin and Cork will be getting the new speeds from next month and then other area's would follow after that.

Yeah, I used to, but I moved :p
    you'll never know till you ring them. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

is there any chance of them upgrading the current speeds for free at the next upgrage? ie 15MB to 20-25 MB, 30 to 35-40MB?

CorkMan wrote: »
    is there any chance of them upgrading the current speeds for free at the next upgrage? ie 15MB to 20-25 MB, 30 to 35-40MB?
    there's a chance, but nobody knows yet what we'll actually get if anything.

going by the other upc territories, that should be what happens, but this is ireland so who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

vibe666 wrote: »

also remember that UPC's 250gb FUP/AUP limit is measuring your downloads + uploads, so every byte counts, no matter which direction it's going in.

I spoke to Nadeen via live chat on their website yesterday. She told me the 100mb package has a 500gb limit. However she said that any uploaded data does NOT count towards that 500gb. I asked if this meant I could upload a truly unlimited amount of data and she said yes. So even though I would like a 1tb DL limit, at least only the downloads will eat into the allowance.

Has anyone who has the 100mb product been able to download anything using the full.capacity of the line? Torrents, games, updates etc?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement