Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good upmarket restaurant in city centre

Options
  • 06-08-2010 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

Hey, heading to Galway this weekend and I am looking for a some advice on a top-class restaurant in the city centre area.

Something really good. Price isn't an issue...in fact somewhere upmarket would be better. Anything but Indian :-)

Any recommendations? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Ludo wrote: »
    Hey, heading to Galway this weekend and I am looking for a some advice on a top-class restaurant in the city centre area.

Something really good. Price isn't an issue...in fact somewhere upmarket would be better. Anything but Indian :-)

Any recommendations? Thanks.

this was discussed in an earlier thread a few moons back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Park House which is on Foster St just off Eyre Square is really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

google.ie/search?hl=en&q=Good+restaurant+galway+site%3Aboards.ie

That said - Abalone.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

Oscars
    Abalone
    White Gables (Moycullen)

Morans on the Weir. Bit of a drive, but the food and atomshpere more than make up for it if you are into fish dishes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

biko wrote: »
    google.ie/search?hl=en&q=Good+restaurant+galway+site%3Aboards.ie

That said - Abalone.

Hmmm...missed that thread in my search earlier for some reason...thanks. Feel free to close this one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Morans on the Weir. Bit of a drive, but the food and atomshpere more than make up for it if you are into fish dishes

It's nice but I wouldn't consider it upmarket.

I really like Abalone. I think the service is fantastic and the atmosphere is very intimate and relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Malt House . Top Class

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Artisan on Quay Street is my favourite restaurant in Galway. Very nice food and decent prices. Ask for a window seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

+1 for Oscars

Abalone is good - although I did feel it was pricey for what we got.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The most upmarket would probably be Kirwan's Lane, but it's not the best.

For maximum poshness try the G hotel
    http://www.theghotel.ie/dining.html

3fullback wrote: »
    Malt House . Top Class

Actually, yes, Malt house is lovely. Nice atmosphere and good service. Would consider Abalone more upmarket though.

biko wrote: »
    For maximum poshness try the G hotel
    http://www.theghotel.ie/dining.html

We were going to stay there as we heard it was good but I vetoed that idea when i saw photos of the place and felt like vomiting :)

We were going to stay there as we heard it was good but I vetoed that idea when i saw photos of the place and felt like vomiting :)

well, personally, I'd feel rather cheated at paying all that money to stay in a half empty shopping centre.

The bar is lovely and nice to see. I'd definitely go there for a pre-dinner drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

is the G posh or simplz overpriced? the interior looks like a brothel or some crazy 1970s place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 androma

Cavas spanish restaurant on dominic street is something different.tapas etc good atmosphere.good service.havent been to either abalone or oscars but family have told me food is overrated in both.park house menu looks very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ard Bia/Nimmos is quaint/quirky posh. My favourite building to hang out in too, down at Spanish Arch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

+1 on Park House Hotel. Very nice restaurant, upmarket too as OP wanted.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Ard Bia/Nimmos is quaint/quirky posh. My favourite building to hang out in too, down at Spanish Arch.

Yes, but you've to put up with the over-bearing, patronising, "luvvie" manager which completely turns me and many others off it.

• Advertisement

My parents stayed in the G Hotel previously and said it was completely top class. The service and everything was incredible, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Abalone
    Malt House
    Vina Mara
    Basilico in Oranmore - the best, but a bit further out! Worth it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gooseygoosey

Try Glenlo Abbey, White Gables, Ballyinahinch (SP) Castle, the last one isn't in the city but worth the drive.

I know every one disagrees, but I have yet to have a bad experience in the G.

The food is a big part but not the only thing about a place that makes it a memorable night out.

What is the House Hotel like since the re-jig.....dinner used to be nice in it if a little crushed.

What is the House Hotel like since the re-jig.....dinner used to be nice in it if a little crushed.

I haven't eaten there but have been there for drinks with friends. Almost passed out with the dehydration by the time the drinks arrived. And the place wasn't exactly hopping at the time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Yes, but you've to put up with the over-bearing, patronising, "luvvie" manager which completely turns me and many others off it.

Ha ha! Some figure that as part of the 'quirky' and kind of like it. A friend of mine loves being fussed over by her and finds it 'charming'.

She isn't always there either...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Sweetie Darling Darling Sweetie:D

A Ginormous plus 1 for Artisan, best food in Galway at the mo, and a great location smack bang in the centre. I second the previous poster's recommendation to ask for a window seat:)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
    Looks like we will try out Artisan or Abalone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Re Abalone - know someone who booked there a few days in advance and turned up on the night to find it closed and a handwritten note in the window saying "sorry for the inconvenience".

No phone call, no missed calls - nothing. He was from outside Galway and had come in specially for a romantic night with the GF so was well ticked off.

People tend to enjoy the place though, even if it's v. expensive. Just confirm your booking on the day!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

Tamarind on spanish arch, asian. food top notch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
    Looks like we will try out Artisan or Abalone
    so which did you go with? im torn between both for this weekend now!

Advertisement