Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerry mountains

• 06-08-2010 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Folks,

I'm off on my Mizen-Malin cycle next week, and I hope to just go to Bantry the first day, and then head from there to Tralee, hopefully through the Gap of Dunloe. I have a hybrid and will have quite heavy panniers, so I wondering what it's like to cycle this way? I've only been cycling for 6 months, but have clocked up around 2500 kilometres in that time, including two consecutive 120km cycles, so I'm pretty confident about the whole trip. My only worry is that getting to Tralee might kill me.
    Should I be looking to avoid the mountains and the Gap, or should it be ok? Any advice welcome..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I'd go for the Gap every time! A nicer cycle, no longer distance-wise and fair enough you get an extra 150m-200m ascent, but gain a lovely cruise down from the head of the Gap. If you take the N71 you still climb Moll's Gap, and the long way round via Kilgarvan is horrible. Molls-Killarney is really busy too.

Personally I'd do

Bantry-Kenmare-Moll's Gap-Black Valley-Gap of Dunloe-Beaufort-Faha.

Then from there you can choose
    Faha-Fieries-Tralee for quieter roads but easy to get lost
    Main road Faha-Milltown-Castlemaine-Tralee
    Or if you're super-keen Faha-Milltown-Castlemaine-short mtn-Tralee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Or if you're super-keen Faha-Milltown-Castlemaine-short mtn-Tralee General Hospital.

FYP!:D

I'd agree with the above and add to the recommendation of going Faha, Milltown, Castlemaine. Nice pull going through Fossa initially but nice rolling road from there with one or two gentle hills before Castlemaine and going over Curraghmore before reaching Tralee.

There is always the option of going Killorglin, Milltown, Castlemaine, Tralee but there's not much to be gained from it short of knowing you're on a main road and impossible to get lost.

The only thing I'll add is just to have your brakes right for the drop into the Black Valley (can build up a bit of speed if you let it) and coming down from the Gap of Dunloe (likely to be quite a bit of tourist traffic this time of year - v.scenic though)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 irol

Thanks guys; this first day is the most worrying as I'm unsure of the mountains and have no idea of Kerry at all. I'll get out the map tonight and have a look at those routes. As I'm going to miss Connemara this time I'm definitely keen on going through the Gap, I drove it a few years ago and it was spectacular. Also, it'll be the start of the trip so I should be able to handle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

I'm just finishing up the routebook for this years Race Around Ireland and i have some measurements for the Gap of Dunloe. Don't know if they're any use to you.

The main climbing starts from Kate Kearneys Cottage and the climb is in 3 main parts.

Part 1: 1.5K Max 13% Avg 4.5%

Flattish for 2.2k

Part 2: 0.8k Max 15% Avg 11.6%

Flattish for 1k

Part 3: 0.6k Max 15% Avg 6.8%

Hope that helps.

Any information is useful, emtroche; especially to get an idea of the length of the climb. That's great.

• Advertisement

It's not just the gap of dunloe though. Theres a fairly tough drag up out of the black Valley on the other side followed by a sharp climb up towards molls gap. Have that section of the Race mapped out if you want to have a look at it. It has an elevation profile too.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/43018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Lads, yer being a bit too sweet not mentioning the continious climb from Bantry to Molls Gap. :D

irol- What day are you doing this?

emtroche wrote: »
    It's not just the gap of dunloe though. Theres a fairly tough drag up out of the black Valley on the other side followed by a sharp climb up towards molls gap. Have that section of the Race mapped out if you want to have a look at it. It has an elevation profile too.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/43018

That elevation profile is interesting. I'll be going through the gap the opposite way. Still good to get an idea.

madrabui, don't like the sound of this continuous climb! It'll probably be next Sunday when I'm doing it, all things going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Feck, when did they fill in Kenmare ? :eek:

madrabui wrote: »
    Lads, yer being a bit too sweet not mentioning the continious climb from Bantry to Molls Gap. :D?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

I did both Gaps recently - in the dark. Beautiful up there but the road surfaces are not good. There aren't too many big holes that I encountered (i.e. dived into) but its very bumpy so keep a nice light grip on the bars or your arms and neck will get very tired. Molls is not too bad - be sure to keep an eye out for overhanging boulders.

• Advertisement

Murph100 wrote: »
    Feck, when did they fill in Kenmare ? :eek:

Fair enough. To compensate I was the one yelling at the cyclists yesterday at the Caha Pass that it was downhill from there. Lovely day for a cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

100Suns wrote: »
    I did both Gaps recently - in the dark. Beautiful up there but the road surfaces are not good. There aren't too many big holes that I encountered (i.e. dived into) but its very bumpy so keep a nice light grip on the bars or your arms and neck will get very tired. Molls is not too bad - be sure to keep an eye out for overhanging boulders.

Overhanging boulders? Either this is a joke or you were hallucinating.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Overhanging boulders? Either this is a joke or you were hallucinating.

Maybe he meant sticky out boulders? There's definitely one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Maybe he meant sticky out boulders? There's definitely one.

No there isn't. I live on the road to Molls Gap. There are no boulders of any description.

OP. I like going to the Gap of Dunloe. Some advice
    The descent from Molls Gap to Black Valley is technical and the road has loose gravel.
    Climb to Gap of Dunloe is about 2km at around 8%. Descent to Katr Kearney cottage can be busy with hill walkers and horse/carts. Take it handy here.

On your way from Bantry to Kenmare I am assuming you will take Glengariff and tunnels. If so the first 4km of descent is excellent on wide road with great surface.
    However once approaching Molly Galivans teashop the road narrows and has a very poor surface. There is a tight left hand then right hand turn under tree cover. Take it easy here.
    Then 14km flat to Kenmare.

Enjoy the trip.

ROK ON wrote: »
    No there isn't. I live on the road to Molls Gap. There are no boulders of any description.

It makes me sad to say that you are right. I was thinking about the Gap of Dunloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Beached

My last time descending down from Molls gap to Killarney ended with my being stuck behind a Bus travelling between 25 and 35Kph. This was on the Ladies view section and I hade no way of overtaking it.
    My last time descending from the Gap of Dunloe towards Fossa, I ended up behind a Huge tractor, which stopped on 2 occasions so the Driver could get out and take pictures,--- of the Tractor. I got past him on the second occasion, and proceeded to catch up to a Jarvey. This lad wouldn’t let me pass at all, and kept waving me back if I came near at all. Ended up dawdling behind for about 3 Km until I reached Kate Kearneys Cottage.
    It seems that the Jarveys call the shots on the Gap of Dunloe road. He was pretty pi**ed off when the Tractor caught up to us also.
    Just to echo what other people have being saying, the Black Valley to Gap of Dunloe road is very poor. Its good and flat along the Valley but the road surface is cracked very badly. A pure speed killer

It is definitely not worth avoiding the hills by going out by Kilgarvin. Lot of road works going on there also

It makes me sad to say that you are right.

???

Beached wrote: »
    It is definitely not worth avoiding the hills by going out by Kilgarvin. Lot of road works going on there also

The 'in progress' road surface can't be legal. I saw cars swerve a bit yesterday when they were overtaking when they hit the central mound of loose chippings. It was a bit unnerving.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Beached

Everything is legal on the Jackie Healy Rae super highway.
    Was nearly caught out myself on that loose gravel, while driving to work yesterday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

They seemed to have tarred & gravelled the whole friggin' county ... of course without addressing the underlying structural problem of the road, so ensuring a lifespan of 2 weeks before its in sh1t again ! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement