Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windproof but breathable gilets?

• 06-08-2010 9:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭

It's feeling decidedly autumnal this morning. Looks like Gilet weather is upon us. I find gilets great in autumn and spring when it's too warm for a winter jersey but you need some windproofing. I've been using an Aldi Crane Bike one the last few years and while it is pretty windproof I find it is not breathable at the front. The back is meshed and therefore breathable but I find my jersey is sopping wet at the front when I stop. This gets uncomfortable on a long trip. Any recommendations on gilets that are windproof but also breathable at the front (or is that impossible). I like the Assos element zero ones but could never justify the €160 or thereabouts that they cost. So something between Assos and a newspaper up the jersey:D I'm not too bothered about waterproofing, just windproofing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My Rapha gilet doesn't give me sweaty nips but isn't cheap either.

An alternative is a windproof base layer. I got mine from Joe Dalys, €20 or so. It has a windproof front panel, lined with wicking fleecy stuff, and the back is normal non-windproof.

For spring/autumn rides where there is a risk of rain I wear both.

Haven't tested the boards gilet yet as it's not been cold/wet enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

I got a black BBB gilet that's nice and warm and breathable, find it great for this time of yr. Cost around €40 worth every cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

i got a full rig out last year on www.cyclestore.co.uk giant 2008 team kit. shorts, shortsleeved jersey, long sleeved jersey and gillet all for around 130 euro i think. very good quality stuff too. the gillet is wind and waterproof all the way around (no mesh back) nice n warm but definitley not boil in the bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have a super light Look gilet, about 65 euro from Cycle Superstore. It has been one of my most used pieces of kit. I use it for running (see attached image).

If I am getting a bit warm I just open the zip a bit.

For an item to be breathable it has to let air through - which conflicts with your windproof requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Seen various cycling stuff in a few Sportsworlds - Karrimor - had jackets and Gilets reasonably priced from €20 - €33, plus tops, LS and SS and shorts a bit hit and miss on the sizes but a good selection for ladies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I am selling one of these in large. Light and breathable but the reflective stuff is very warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

This may sound simplistic and I might be missing the point of your post but why not open the zip a bit, if you that hot then chances are it time to take the gilit off. I'm currently using a Descente I must admit that I have never had the chest sweat issue. I'm not being smart but I only use the gilit while my chest is cold, as soon as I warm up I whip it off, if thats not an option just open the zip a bit, as soon as air is given a chance to circulate the sweat issue isn't a problem and unless your doing TT's I dont think the minimal drag should be one either.
    Ironically I think what your seeking is a wind proof gilit that lets in a little wind, so one option is to get an old cycling jacket, the lidl ones would be perfect, take the arms off it, replace the back with a mesh panel and you have exactly what your looking for, if you cant sew a tailor will whip it up for you for a few quid, happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

This may sound simplistic and I might be missing the point of your post but why not open the zip a bit...

I do, but cold + wet = colder

I reckon Lumens windproof base layer advice sounds like it's worth a try.

blorg wrote: »
    I am selling one of these in large. Light and breathable but the reflective stuff is very warm.

Thanks Blorg I saw the ad. I think the silver is a bit too bling, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

+1 on the descente velom gilet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I do, but cold + wet = colder
    Open the zip before it gets wet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement