Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-install of Vista

Options
  • 06-08-2010 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi, my psu and motherboard just blow, so i have installed a new psu and motherboard but now unable to boot into Vista, I just get a reboot loop, even when going into safe mode.

I have tried the Startup Repair but that did not work, says it can not find any problems.

I have also tried to choose the Upgrade option but that was greyed out.

If i choose 'Custom' it just wants to install a new copy of Vista and delete the old one or put the old Vista into .old folder.

I know with windows xp you can do a re-install over the top and 9 times out 10 that works, does any know how you can do that with vista?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What caused the damage? Are you sure the HDD wasnt damaged aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Funkiwi75

By the looks of the inside of the machine, time and it being use as a vacum cleaner. Lots of dust. I have run hard drive diagnostics on the drive and it's passed.

One thing that might be importent (forgot to put it in the original post sorry) it's/was an acer prebuilt PC but now has an Asus MB in it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Please don't tell me you already tried to repair or reinstall? :eek:

If you have Vista will have nuked itself and you'll have to buy a new OS. OEM versions of Vista and Win7 are designed to nuke themselves if they detect a mobo change :mad:

Ah nuts, I did take a clone of the drive, but no cant remember if it was before or after i did a Startup Repair.

If I read the e-mail right it sounds like you can do a MB swap and not have to format Vista/Win 7, but how?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Re-activate over the phone, I'm too lazy and tired to look up the link know, so you'll have to google for it.

• Advertisement

My problem is not with re-activating Vista, it is doing a windows repair like you can do with windows xp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Trying to run a already installed OS on different hardware by swapping the disk is always flaky. If you've a new motherboard and its not the same as the old, one you should re-install.

Advertisement