Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flaky UPC

Options
  • 06-08-2010 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

A couple of weeks ago I had connectivity issues with my phone and internet (TV was fine) so I called UPC. They had an auto-message that for customers in Charlesland there were some upgrade works going on and it would be sorted by 3pm. I think it finally came back around 7pm.

Since then, I've noticed a significant increase in problems with my internet & phone connectivity. It seems to give up the ghost almost every day at random times for no reason - all the symptoms are the same as the day the upgrade was being done.

This morning I got a text message saying to thank me for my loyalty (!) I've been upgraded to 5Mb connection and to please unplug and replug my modem.

Since doing that my internet speeds have probly dropped about 10-fold and are flaky in the extreme. I know if I call UPC I'll get into the "we have to send an engineer because its probly just a problem with your modem" etc. So before I do that just wanted to ask if anyone else on UPC has been experiencing similar problems with their internet or phone recently? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

We joined UPC from Sky a few weeks ago as getting the TV, Broadband and phonelines was far cheaper than seperate services. But since then we have had huge problems with our phone line and the odd problem with broadband.

They told us not to cancel our phones until they told us too and then we found out they did themselves anyway but for some reason we are still connected now to BT/Vodaphone and UPC so we have 2 lots of phones that are calls come in on and that we call out on and to make matters worse the last few days anyone that tries to call us that isnt UPC cant call us as the line appears to ring out even though we dont hear it!

Also we should have 30mbs of broadband and we rarely have 20mb and that can be very up and down.

Have engineer calling out this am to check everything and he aint leaving till I get a proper service or I am not paying my next bill.

They are very quick to answer calls and get back to you so I cant fault them in that regard so it remains to be seen how they get on today.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

Hmm very interesting thanks for that. Sounds like its just me then.

Maybe if you could ask him when (if!) he turns up if he's aware of any general problems in the area cos I seriously dont reckon it could be just a couple of us.

Hope you get it all sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

Sorry the above should read "its NOT just me then" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

we changed to upc phone and bb about 3 weeks ago, had tv already. It was fine for the first week then the wireless connectivity seemed to do it's own thing, dropping constantly and then reconnecting, repeatedly. I rang tech services and spoke to a guy called Bernard who knew what he was talking about. He got my problem sorted and it hasn't happened again since. You should try ask for him. It makes these things a lot easier if you've a competent person on the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Funnily enough, I have been having problems with my connection dropping out from time to time. It connects back again almost instantly, but it's hellishly annoying as I am normally online gaming and get kicked off the server.

EDIT: time to time is maybe once a day, at a random time.

I thought it was my powerline adapters but I'm not so sure now. Other than that, I always find the connection great (bar between around half 6 and 8). 20 MB on a 30 MB connection is pretty good too, when you factor in contention. Oh, and when you check your speeds with speedtest.net or any others, it depends on the loads on those servers also so it's not necessarily an exact reading that you are getting. UPC have their own speed test now. I suggest you use that one and see what you get.

I <3 my UPC connection. I don't know what I would do if I had to chance back to Eircom.

Ask any 8 MB Eircom user (maybe not the "NGB" users... haven't really heard much about that service, since no one I know uses it) what there connection is like most of the time. Any distance away from the exchange and you are screwed. Peak time, you are definitely screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

same problem.....called NTL customer service to get a time to repair .....waste of time...so dam rude!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Mr Posh wrote: »
    same problem.....called NTL customer service to get a time to repair .....waste of time...so dam rude!!!!

Wow, I don't know what you had to say to them to make them rude to you but any time I have ever called, they have been nothing but nice and maybe even a little helpful ;)

Seriously, I thought they have great customer service. They have always been very quick to get an engineer on the case for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Have to agree, they are always very helpful to me in fact after the engineer tried to fix the problem last week he called Vodaphone/BT for me to try and resolve the issue and they said it was an earlier eircom fault and to call them. We did and ericom were so rude I was amazed she actually hung up on us!!!! The UPC engineer said he would come back next week if the issue wasnt resolved and apologised for the messing about. I then rang UPC back later as the issue was there again and they apologised again and said they had made an error and would have it resolved by the end of the day and they did!! Now I have to say we are still having the odd problem of the connection dropping and have to reboot the modem for the phone/broadband every now and then so going to get that sorted next, but they are very prompt in sending people out to sort these things out.:D

Advertisement