Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shops in Rome & Sicily

• 06-08-2010 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Folks I'm off to Rome and then Sicily for holidays this month. Does anyone know of any cycling shops in either place? I'd like to get some jerseys if possible.
    Thanks, Olmo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have cycled in south-western Sicily. To say there were no bike shops would be an understatement. Had to get a new tube and brake block in a car garage who had a few bits and pieces, and this was after searching for two days. A previous garage only had I think 24" tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭olmo

I thought there would be loads of shops! My Italian isn't that good so I'm finding it difficult. Still hoping to get an old Carrera jersey and the likes. I'll keep searching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Where in sicily are you going to? I was on the East coast this year and saw a few bike shops, and picked up a few odds n ends.

Nice scenic part of the island, albeit a bit more populated. Did the Centre of the island (Palermo - Enna - Agrigento) a few years ago and saw Groups of cyclists (local bike club type thing rather than tourists) on a few occasions.

If you want to find bike shops, go to Colnago, Bianchi or any other italian manufacturer and do a "find dealers".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

olmo wrote: »
    Folks I'm off to Rome and then Sicily for holidays this month. Does anyone know of any cycling shops in either place? I'd like to get some jerseys if possible.
    Thanks, Olmo

I've been to Rome lots of times (I have relations living there) and I've never seen a good bike shop, in fact I've barely seen a bike shop. I do remember cycling past one once but it didn't look great. Decatlon is the only place I've bought bike gear in Rome. Through google I've been able to find what look like they might be good bike shops in the Rome area, but since they were all a pain to get to by Public transport or bike. I didn't bother. Sorry to be so negative, I'm sure there are some great bike shops in Rome, but its a massive city.

Here's one for example -

Might be quite good, but it would be a mission for me to get there
    http://www.pro-bike.it
    map:
    http://www.pro-bike.it/dovesiamo.asp

No consolation, but when I was in the north of Italy near Padova there were tons of bike shops.

Hey Nereid I'm going to Taormina for 5 days,with Rome 2 days beforehand. I never thought about googling Bianchi etc I'll give it a go!Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I am sure there are shops in Rome and the likes of Palermo. I have never seen a lot of cyclists about though either in Rome or Sicily. There are lots of them in Sardinia (which is also fantastic for cycling.) I would concur that where you are going on the east is probably better... you could rent a bike and try cycling up Etna, that is a good climb.

Hey Nereid I'm going to Taormina for 5 days,with Rome 2 days beforehand. I never thought about googling Bianchi etc I'll give it a go!Thanks

Did Taormina, Catania and hired a car for the south around Syracusa / Noto / Modica / Regusa.

Saw loads of people on good roadbikes around Taormina, but I guess that is the "Sally gap - laragh - wicklow gap" circuit for those from Catania and around. Taormina is touristy and didn't see a bike shop there - probabably best in the towns around, if you research a bit before you go.

[QUOTE=blorg you could rent a bike and try cycling up Etna, that is a good climb.[/QUOTE] I was thinking of doing that! Had the idea of bringing my shoes and pedals with me,but I have trouble goin up the Nags Head in spring let alone Mt. Etna in August!

I was thinking of doing that! Had the idea of bringing my shoes and pedals with me,but I have trouble goin up the Nags Head in spring let alone Mt. Etna in August!

You won't go up it too far, but what would be very nice, would be to go around it. There is a narrow guage railway and road that goes around, so you would have a bailout to get home if you were really stuck/ ate too much for lunch/ drank too much vino.

I could recommend a few good wines around that area too if you like :) The vineyards should be open for tours around now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

I travelled around sicily a bit last year and the few bike shops I found were all on one side street in Palermo. They were all selling crap too - no decent road frames - mainly kids bikes and bicycle-shaped-objects from what I could see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

I travelled around sicily a bit last year and the few bike shops I found were all on one side street in Palermo. They were all selling crap too - no decent road frames - mainly kids bikes and bicycle-shaped-objects from what I could see.

I'm afraid thats what the one bike shop I saw in Rome looked like. I remember hearing that DiLuca was the first southerner to win the giro. Cycling seems to be a lot more popular in the North of Italy and Tuscany (loads of bikes in Pisa). Rome's not a great city for cycling, but its not the worst either. I've see quite a few people with MTBs in bigger parks.

To get back on topic, there obviously are good bike shops in Rome, but I never needed to go to one. I was kind of reluctant to spend an afternoon on the metro and buses and run the risk of getting the cyclelogicalo treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I was in Rome last month and found one small bike shop that had their own jerseys for their racing team, as well as the usual pro kit. They have a few bits and pieces, and the guy in the shop was helpful and can speak English if you don't have Italian. It's near Piazza del Popolo, on a side street off Via del Corso. Nice restaurants and cafes around there too.

I also took a metro ride out to this place in the suburbs, but I wouldn't particularly recommend it. I went to purchase something I'd emailed them about, and they were pretty unfriendly. It's also in a bit of a grotty area, not dodgy, just not somewhere you'd be bothered going otherwise. They did have a lot of bikes though, and some nice gear.

Google Italia shows a few bike shops in Rome, only a couple near the centre. If you need a hand translating/emailing in Italian pm me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

lukester wrote: »
    Google Italia shows a few bike shops in Rome, only a couple near the centre. If you need a hand translating/emailing in Italian pm me.

i was in the first one on that google link, lazzaretti, about 4 or 5 weeks ago. Couple of nice bikes and bits n pieces. Staff seemed friendly enough, but I was just in for a browse.

Its about 15 minute walk from termini station. There were also a couple of shops around selling nalini bib shorts @ 2 for 50 euro. cant remember where that was tho.

Thanks guys. I'll check out Romeo bike off via del corso, I know the area and the wife can have a latte while I run off! Fancy one of those Italian national jerseys.

Advertisement