Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here

Options
  • 06-08-2010 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭

anathema-we-re-here-because-we-re-here-$7064112$300.jpg

Never heard these before (I believe their earlier work is doomy / heavy ??) ... anyway I read a review of their new album and it was being tipped as a contender for Rock album of the Year - last time the same mag (Classic Rock) made that prediction it was Fear Of a Blank Planet so I thought "hhmmm , they got that right - I'll give this a go" ... then when it said Steve Wilson was involved (he mixed it) it convinced me to get it ...
    Have to say Im liking it big time ... not what I was expecting and maybe skates a little close to piano driven stadium rock at times (ie. Coldplay - *shudder*) but I think the drum timings and harmonies set it apart enough to be different ..

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Anathema are awesome, they're one of my favourite bands and on first listen may sound quite innocent but once you get into them they'll blow you away. I've only listened to a few tracks off the new album, and I'm liking it mostly! Must get my hands on the full version! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

A band i've always heard the name but never got into. so after seeing this thread I'm giving the new album a listen, so far I'm impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Great album and band. Both this and Judgment are absolutely fantastic. I haven't heard any other Anathema though.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

i loved a fine day to exit ,but dont like the rest after that
    that new one is just like some pop crap

serenades is my fave album followed by alternative 4 and judgement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Love it, making my way back through their catalogue now. Really enjoyed their set at Sonisphere Spain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 toolfan1912

I only just recently discovered this band myself on the Classic Rock Magizines sub Mag Prog Mag CD's it had "Thin Air" on it and soon as i heard it I was blown away, just ordered their album "A fine day to exit" heard it was one of their best albums.

Gonna try and pick up the latest album maybe tomorrow, as I just checked on my other order and it's back ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

:D Good news ....

DME Presents

ANATHEMA
    http://www.anathema.ws/
    http://www.myspace.com/weareanathema

Plus Guests (touring band)

The Village, Wexford St
    Saturday 18th December
    7pm
    20e adv plus fees / 20e on door

On sale 9am Wednesday 15th September from www.tickets.ie & City Discs and in Sound Cellar & WaV Box Office shortly afterwards.

www.dublinmetalevents.com

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056031114

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

ah win.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Great Band! Great live also!! One album that I never get sick of :)

Anathema-Judgement.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    Great Band! Great live also!! One album that I never get sick of :)

Anathema-Judgement.jpg

Awesome album, and probably the last great album that they did. The newer albums are just too mellow for me, and also they are just as interesting as the old stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Delighted by the date, cos I was making plans to go see them in Germany or Holland somewhere. Hopefully they'll play maybe Cork or Belfast like they did last time!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭irokie

I will go to this gig. I remember my dad playing Alternative 4 in the car once upon a time. Thought it was awesome. So much in love with this band.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JK9

Stunning album altogether. Up there with Judgement as one of my favourites. I can't wait for the December gig, should be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Yeah posted this gig in the Gigs section as soon as it was announced by H.

Delighted with the news, have seen them at least 6/7 times before and they never disappoint. Their last gig in Dublin was probably my favourite, that or in Graspop a few years ago. Love all their stuff, even though their style has changed so much over the years.

Don't go to the gig expecting heavy stuff from their early years though, as they won't play it. However, they are amazing live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭silent sage

jenizzle wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll play maybe Cork or Belfast like they did last time!
    From their MySpace:
    17 Dec 2010 19:30 An Cruscian Lan Cork, Cork, IRELAND
    18 Dec 2010
    19:30 The Village Dublin, Dublin, IRELAND
    19 Dec 2010 19:30 Spring and Airbrake Belfast, Belfast, IRELAND
    I think I'll head along to the Cork gig.

Deadly, PT and Anathema in the space of 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

got tickets for cork and dublin,being listening to them since the crestfallen ep days.i would highly recomend to anyone to go see them live,you won't be dissapointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 toolfan1912

I'm going to the Dublin gig, don't know anyone else going, so anyone interested in arraging some pre-drinks before the gig? Pm me if anyones interested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Socymonster

I saw them at Cypress Avenue last time, what a show! They are my favourite band by a mile! There is so much meaning and power in their music, gives me shivers!

There's a light sleet falling in Cork city and I'll be shortly leaving the house, after finishing my final college project of the year, to see Anathema perform my favourite rock album of the year. Sometimes life can deal you a couple of pocket aces :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭goblin59

ANATHEMA are onstage at 8.15 tonight (Support at 7.15)

Saw them in Cork last night. Incredible is the only word to describe them. I think there may have been 100 people there, nice small venue. I'm counting down the days for them to return!!

It was an absolutely crackin gig last night, simply brilliant. I literally fell over with excitement during the lyric "it feels like we're already flyin" on the song Thin Air :o.

I got myself a sweet assed European Tour t-shirt too, similar to this;

bsi_anat44.gif

I hope yee enjoy the Dublin gig as much as I enjoyed the Cork one.

Stunning gig in the Village.
    Flying and Universal being the highlights for me.
    Pity so many people decided to have a big chat throughout the gig, why would you bother paying the ticket admission?

That really is a pity. Everyone in Cork was glued to the stage. Was there a really good solo at the end of Flying?? Universal was unreal. I was also impressed with Get Off, Get out- usually I find this song the least exciting on the new album but it was way better live!
    Roughly how many people attended in Dublin? It's a shame that not so many Irish people are familiar with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭soiaf

Nea wrote: »
    Pity so many people decided to have a big chat throughout the gig

That really bugged me as well, I don't know why people would bother going to something like that if all they're going to do is listen to their own voices.

Anyway, other than that really enjoyed it, great gig! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lud

I think they tried to stay awake so they talked...
    Unfortunately its not the same band anymore and each year they get more boring :(

lud wrote: »
    I think they tried to stay awake so they talked...
    Unfortunately its not the same band anymore and each year they get more boring :(

Why go and see them if you find them boring? The constant loud chatter was just ignorant both to paying eager attendees and to the band themselves.

The solo for Flying was amazing, I love that song and was praying they would play it. I was well happy with the setlist and look forward to seeing them again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Nea wrote: »
    Why go and see them if you find them boring? The constant loud chatter was just ignorant both to paying eager attendees and to the band themselves.

The solo for Flying was amazing, I love that song and was praying they would play it. I was well happy with the setlist and look forward to seeing them again

Yeah baffles me too. I've liked them since about 93, so have liked both their heavy stuff & their newer lighter stuff. People at this stage should realise that Anathema don't play their heavy stuff anymore and not bother going if they don't like the way the music has progressed. The amount of people there that seemed to have no interest in the music was stupid. They're a band that you need total quiet to enjoy & the volume of people talking through the music was just ridiculous. That said I did enjoy the gig in the Village. Not as good as their last one in the Button Factory, but that would have been very hard to top!

• Advertisement

Anathema have been on the go nearly 20 years and are still relatively unpopular in the Uk and Ireland. Seriously about 90% of fans were from mainland europe? after all their efforts if they want to angle their music towards a more "commercial" perspective and earn some money, I think they are well deserving of it. They will always be the same lads (and lady) with the same talent. If you don't like the new stuff then don't bother with it. I personally like the new album. I prefer the older stuff but the new album is still excellent.

Advertisement