Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motley Crue Appreciation Thread

Options
  • 06-08-2010 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

3973639079_d8de501d18.jpg
    Nikki Sixx's Bass in Dublin's Hard Rock, about the closest the band have come to performing here in the last 20 years

Following their excellent performance at Sonisphere and their revival in Europe over the last few years, I taught it only fair to lead this thread, since of course the band - to my knowledge - have never come to Ireland and I find this surprising considering the support they have.

If I'm correct, the poster in the Evening Herald in 2006 was about the closest they ever got to playing Dublin - their support slot to Guns N' Roses - and then the band just denied knowledge of the entire concert. Bizarre situation.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2006/0222/gunsnroses.html

Brides of Destruction cancelled their appearance in Whelan's in 2004 and Tommy Lee was supposed to play a DJ set in town one night - dunno if he turned up.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about their last album, Saints of Los Angeles. I like a few of the tracks - and feel it's a much better album then New Tattoo on the whole - but the problem I have with it is the lack of material written by the band themselves. Generation Swine in 1997 was an interesting album, and has some good tracks, but it has been washed under the carpet in favour of their 80's material and doesn't look like to get much airplay.

Nikki Sixx and his friends in Sixx AM wrote the majority of material - whereas Mick Mars and Tommy Lee co-wrote just one track each - and Vince Neil contributed to nothing!

I find it hard to believe a band who released 5 albums in 8 years - while strung out on every drug possible - has had a hard time releasing 4 studio albums in 20 years. That's an appalling record.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Alot of it has to do with the bull**** that went on between them when they got sober, such as kicking vince out of the band, getting him back, then tommy leaving because vince was back.

The last 100% Motley album , written by them without any outside interference was Dr.Feelgood.

Motley Crue - Corabi
    Gen. Swine- Written for corabi , then they got vince in to get more $$
    New Tattoo- Randy castillo on drums
    Saints - As said above written by Sixx and Sixx A.M, how it is about the dirt when it wasnt even written by the band ill never know.

Also, with Mick looking pretty bad , I think the days are numbered, we might get one more album, but they have all gone back to their solo stuff, Vince brought out tattoos and tequila(pretty average) there at the start of summer, Tommy is bringin out a new MOM album which isnt motley at all, Sixx is busy off doing Kat von D and poor mick is probably getting medical attention everyday.

I cannot see them playing Ireland, If they do it will be Belfast. The Whole scene here is ****e, Places like bruxelles are only starting to put on these nights more of a piss take than anything serious!
    Although Kiss did pretty well. Maybe if they got Crue and maybe somebody like W.A.S.P to support or even some crappy EMO band to make up the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Comparisons of the band throughout their career

US Festival 1981

Wild Side - Moscow 1989

Glitter - Live 1997

Live 8 Canada Appearance

Live, Canada, 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I love a lot of their old stuff. Haven't really enjoyed their more 'recent' output at all tbh. They're a band i'd love to see live and i think they'd pull quite a crowd here if they did play. A combo of hardcore Crue fans and curious rockers would see them sell out somewhere like the Olympia handy enough. Whether they view small venues like that as beneath them is another question but their days as a big name draw are well past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

lord lucan wrote: »
    Whether they view small venues like that as beneath them is another question but their days as a big name draw are well past.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=90500
    MÖTLEY CRÜE — Vince Neil, Tommy Lee, Nikki Sixx and Mick Mars — signed a $100-million-plus mega-deal last week to produce three albums and perform three world tours for the giant Live Nation entertainment conglomerate.

"We'll actually have been together for 37 years by the time it comes to an end," Vince told Leach.

If this is to believed, then it will be 2018 by the time they finish this deal

So far, we've only really got 1 album and they're still filtering out the end of their World Tour in support of Saints of Los Angeles - even as a long time Motley Crue fan I'd be sceptical as to whether Live Nation can expect three albums from them. If they do, it will most likely be Sixx recording the material, with Mars too ill and Vince too ****ed to bother

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

They had to cancel a show today. Freak storm wiped out the second stage at Sonisphere Finland and wrecked a lot of equipment. Sounded pretty bad,Scott Ian made mention of it on his Facebook status this afternoon.

http://fi.sonispherefestival.net/freak-thunderstorm-hits-sonisphere-finland/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Best i've ever seen Crue was at Donington in '91, Sanwiched between Black Crowes/Queensryche and Metallica/AC/DC

They came on and were so fcukin loud, awesome set.

At the end i witnessed what i still consider to be one of the coolest things i've ever seen on a metal stage. Tommy came from behind the kit to wave goodbye to the crowd and some nobjockey launched an apple at him, now this thing was like a missile going at his head.

He just caught it, took a bite without thinking and launched it back!! :D

Was that really nearly 20 years ago!!! :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Love the crue, remember listening to shout at tne devil on a waltham casette recorder in my bedroom....

ooooh that ages me.....;)

tommy still holds the kudos for best drum gizmo with the rotating doofer on wild side

great performances have to include the moscow peace festival

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

I suspect in in the absolute minority - but Motley Crue self titled album with Corabi is my favourite one, yes I own them all.

Carnival Of Sins dvd is a great watch, they put on a great spectacle. Dont ever, ever, ever see them playing the likes of The Olympia. Im sure they can still sell out 7/8000 seater venues in the US.

Advertisement