Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its official- the PO are as bad as insurance companies

Options
  • 06-08-2010 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    I don't know if this shoulld be in R and R. I moved house recently and applied to have my post transferred. Sounds simple huh?

I can prove that I was married to my husband and that he is dead. But seeing as I can't PROVIDE A COPY OF HIS FVCKING WILL!!!! they want me to get a solicitors letter to prove I am next of kin and my husband is dead!!! Seriously what the hell is anyones will got to do with them?

Apparantly its preferable that the complete strangers in the old house open my husbands post.

Thanks for adding to the stress jobworths.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Jesus Axel thats f***ing awful!!!
    Just when you think you're finally getting a handle on the ****ty minutiae that go along with getting everything in order after your loss!!!

Have you asked to see a supervisor in the office?
    While the will is none of their business and it is most probably an ass covering exercise on their part(Data protection and so on) Do you have a grant of probate? Or letters of administration?
    Actually from looking at their site the expect at least these for deceased people see here, http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/GeneralTemplates/ProductsAndServices.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID={DFF2D962-3865-43D8-B547-66DE75135FAC}&NRORIGINALURL=%2fAnPost%2fMainContent%2fPersonal%2bCustomers%2fWizards%2fManage%2bmy%2bmail%2fredirection.htm&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#applicationforms

Although if you just download the form, fill it out and drop it back without mentioning any death, I don't see why the post would not be forwarded anyway and as according to their terms of service by accepting their service you indemnify them against any loss or legal action that may occur.
    I'd fill the form and send it off and then provide the probate/letters of administration only if Anpost come back and query it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Thanks for replying banie,
    Unfortunately I didnt think to keep my mouth shut and they sent back the redirection form. (I was less than gracious on the phone this morning :().
    You see I asked them three times what 'letters of adminstration' are, and was eventually told that they need something official from a solicitor.

I already owe a fortune to him and don't see why I need to involve a solicitor for something so simple.

axel rose wrote: »
    Thanks for replying banie,
    Unfortunately I didnt think to keep my mouth shut and they sent back the redirection form. (I was less than gracious on the phone this morning :().
    You see I asked them three times what 'letters of adminstration' are, and was eventually told that they need something official from a solicitor.

I already owe a fortune to him and don't see why I need to involve a solicitor for something so simple.

Well if you and your husband were joint mortgage holders on your previous house I would assume that letters of administration were issued before the sale of your old house could go through.
    The letters are basically an authorisation issued by the Probate office to allow a nominated person to deal with settling an estate where there is no will discovered.
    The letters give you control over the residual estate and authority to settle it.
    I would be very suprised if your solicitor does not have these already and could forward you a copy, or in case he doesn't have them I see no reason why a sworn affidavit from a commisioner for oaths would not do! (and shouldn't cost more than €15/20.
    Although I can well understand the frustration of having to do that in the 1st place!

Banie, you are a little beauty!!! Thank you so much :).

axel rose wrote: »
    Banie, you are a little beauty!!! Thank you so much :).

Little beauty???? I Can so tell you've never actually seen me ;-) LOL!!!

Glad I could at least be of some help though Axel :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Ugh the administration of death!

Op-They need to make sure you have the rights of next of kin. Unfortunately, redirecting your ex's post became a popular sport. I dont know why they need the will though. A marriage and death cert should suffice.

Axel,
    Just wondering if you got this sorted yet?

Hi Banie
    So far I didn't do anything.:(

It was stressing me out too much and literally ignored it. If I can face it this week I will get myself together and sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey OP. There is so much red tape and well I know it's a nuisance but it's there for a reason. How about writing them a letter, send a copy of your marriage certificate and a copy of your late husband's death certificate. Just say that no grant has been extracted to his estate as yet. I work in a solicitors office and in all my time have never been asked for anything like this for An Post. Maybe the certificates would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

May I ask what the issue is with getting a copy of your late husband's will, or did he not make one?

• Advertisement

Simon, My husband was only 34 when he died. We were planning on making our wills when we were through the selling/buying house saga. (we figured seeing as we already in a solicitors office..........) Ended up selling the house after he died.

However I cannot understand why the PO should have any interest in a will. The fact that I was his next of kin should be enough really.

I am sorry to hear that Axel.

All you're looking to do here with An Post is redirect post, not claim any money he held in An Post?

We're you talking to the change of address section or the actual deceased section?

Ah, all I was trying to do was to transfer his letters to our new house. No money, just letters- most likely AA insurance renewal reminders.

The form wanted to know the names of the people on the address so I added my husbands, sons and my name. I noted on the signature part of Sean's bit that he was deceased. Then I got a really clinical letter that said I should read the highlighted parts of section 4 part 5.......blah ....blah....

I see, well since you seem to be getting nowhere with that section, I reckon your best course of action would be to call the deceased section and ask them. They really only deal with claims for money, but I'm sure somebody there would have an idea of what's needed for a redirect in this case if you wanted clarification.

Call this number 01 7057200 and you'll get them from there. Explain to them that you aren't looking for the change of address section and if anybody there has any idea about this policy.

From previous dealings with them, they've seemed very helpful.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice simon. Ill try and tackle it next week. (I've started ignoring these type of things if it stresses me too much). Denial (plus wine, plus Xanax) have become my very good friends over the past year.

No problem Axel. Let me know how it goes.

Advertisement