Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oracle SQL and TSQL

Options
  • 06-08-2010 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I’m currently pretty proficient with SQL, but for the last three years I’ve only ever worked on ORACLE databases. I’ve applied for a position that requires experience with TSQL however the spec states that any relational database experience will be relevant. I’m pretty confident I can pick up the TSQL very fast, I tried a little mySQL before and was scripting in about 20mins.

So, is it correct to assume that once you understand the main concepts and theories of SQL and have plenty of experience that crossing over to a different syntax is painless enough?

Also, is there a ‘lite’ version of SQLserver, similar to OracleXE. I would’nt mind getting a TSQL db up and running at home so I can get upto speed before any interviews.

Cheerz.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

So, is it correct to assume that once you understand the main concepts and theories of SQL and have plenty of experience that crossing over to a different syntax is painless enough?

Pretty much. I've worked on Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL and for the most part, they are all fairly similar. I think they adhere to an ANSI standard and then each vendor ads in their own "extras".
    Also, is there a ‘lite’ version of SQLserver, similar to OracleXE. I would’nt mind getting a TSQL db up and running at home so I can get upto speed before any interviews.

There is. Linky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Pretty much. I've worked on Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL and for the most part, they are all fairly similar. I think they adhere to an ANSI standard and then each vendor ads in their own "extras".

There is. Linky.

Thanks Tom, You're a bloody smasher :pac:

/close thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

There's also the Compact edition, if you want something even lighter (it's for small embedded DBs and learning and the likes);
    http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/compact.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Just to throw a little late reply

I've spent 95% of my time on TSQL over the years, and the rest mostly Oracle. 10 years ago, both were fairly much the same.

Over the last couple of years though, both have had quite a number of functions added.

The standard FROM, WHERE, SELECT kind of stuff is the same, however there's some nifty functions you could look at.

Here is a link to the Transact-SQL reference, have a scan down it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

As the others have said, there are slight variations in syntax - but you obviously have enough experience to know what you need to google if needs be.

Good luck with the job application.

• Advertisement
Advertisement