Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I add multiple items to a scrolling text box in Flash?

Options
  • 06-08-2010 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Creating a scrolling text box in Flash, that's the easy bit. The problem is adding multiple elements to that box (separate text boxes, images, etc.) and having them all scroll together is the difficult bit. Flash being Flash, there is no concise one-size-fits-all solution. Can anyone offer me some tips? Using Flash CS4 and Actionscript 2 (out of preference).

Seanie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

try loading the text from an external file like a .txt file
    This way you have more control over what you want to display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

No, that's not it louie. Check out www.dezynamite.com/abbey as a prelude to what I am doing. I want to add separate text and image elements to the one scrolling area. When in Flash, you can't do it straight up as a WYSIWYG - there's got to be something akin to making it a button and then adding elements inside that button, therefore all of them 'glued together' as one when brought back to the main pane. The problem is that when you convert the text box to a button or movie graphic, the scrollbar function ceases.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

maybe use masks instead of using the built in UIscroll component

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/flash8/scrollbar.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Thanks Placebo, that (with a few tiny tweaks) has hit the nail on the head. Much appreciated!

Seanie.

Advertisement