Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would anyone know what to do?

Options
2»

Comments

pigvon wrote: »
    I will definitely let you know once I start working. Anyway thank you everybody it is very helpful to know that there are people who care and not everybody is so ruthless like people I had to deal with. I would also like to thank the volunteers from St. Vincent the Paul who helped me big time. You are doing a great job and I will pay back and much more once I'm back on track.

Fair play to you, best of luck with the new job, I hope it works out well for you. That b1tch that you spoke to in the Citizens Info place sounds a right cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Snoogans

Some of the people working there (citizens info etc) are pretty much evil incarnate.
    My best friend's mother works at the dole office, and she's pretty high up on the food chain- she detests the place, both for the insane beaurocracy and poorly trained coworkers (or ones who are just dastards).

The CWO up by the Lough Community Center (obviously she's around other places as well) has no business having the job she does.
    On the other hand, it's really good to hear this particular story has some happiness to it, and it's worthy of recognition that he intends to pay back the SvP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

ah it sounds like things are looking up for you - and that's great!

I did a little bit of checking for you and the system works like this.
    you should go to the social welfare office to make a claim.
    you were self employed so you don't qualify for jobseekers benefit, but you would qualify for job seekers allowance (hopefully I've got those the right way 'round). the one you qualify for is means tested, so you would need to mention the apartment in Poland. This apartment (no offence to anyone intended) is likely not worth much, so wouldn't have too much of an impact. They (social welfare) would process your claim and in due course you'd start getting payments. They're well used to valuing property abroad, there's nothing too unusual about your situation.
    The CWO (comunity welfare officer) helps out at this stage, because it can take a while from getting the claim in to payments starting to appear. If you've not made the claim they may not help you, as they can't then claim the money back from social welfare.

The very best thing you can do is call into the Social Welfare office, queue up and speak to the person at the desk. They know the system and will advise you as to the best thing to do.

I've written all this down in case it's useful to you or someone else, even though it sounds like you may not need it :)

disclaimer: I'm not an expert in these matters, just trying to help out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 pigvon

deRanged wrote: »
    ah it sounds like things are looking up for you - and that's great!

I did a little bit of checking for you and the system works like this.
    you should go to the social welfare office to make a claim.
    you were self employed so you don't qualify for jobseekers benefit, but you would qualify for job seekers allowance (hopefully I've got those the right way 'round). the one you qualify for is means tested, so you would need to mention the apartment in Poland. This apartment (no offence to anyone intended) is likely not worth much, so wouldn't have too much of an impact. They (social welfare) would process your claim and in due course you'd start getting payments. They're well used to valuing property abroad, there's nothing too unusual about your situation.
    The CWO (comunity welfare officer) helps out at this stage, because it can take a while from getting the claim in to payments starting to appear. If you've not made the claim they may not help you, as they can't then claim the money back from social welfare.

The very best thing you can do is call into the Social Welfare office, queue up and speak to the person at the desk. They know the system and will advise you as to the best thing to do.

I've written all this down in case it's useful to you or someone else, even though it sounds like you may not need it :)

disclaimer: I'm not an expert in these matters, just trying to help out.

I have already done all what you are suggesting here in that exact order. I have applied to SW on June 1th and each time I go there they are saying that I have to wait. About a month ago as I run out of the money completely I went to my local HSE officer and asked him for assistance. After 3 weeks I got a letter that they value my apartment in Poland for approx 85 000 euro and according to their calculator it should be making weekly profit of 244 euro. (all bull***t) Therefore I am entitled to nothing and staying in Ireland is only my own choice and responsibility. The fact is that I am making exactly 0 euro on this apartment because I can not rent it if I want to sell it. Even then the rental potential is only about 250 euro per month. If I had the 85 000 euro in my bank account I wouldn't claim social welfare in the first place. There is a difference between having an apartment 2000 miles away and having the money. I can not go to the shop and exchange a square centimeter of my apartment for a peace of bread. Hopefully I'll get that job and won't have to deal with those people again. Ireland is my home for the last 6 years, I speak the language (kind of), I have become almost like yourselves,and I don't even know anyone in Poland anymore. I don't want to claim social welfare for a number of years - all I need is a temporary help until I get a job or sell my apartment. What difference does it make for them? Once I am back on track they will get it back in tax anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Snoogans

pigvon wrote: »
    I have already done all what you are suggesting here in that exact order. I have applied to SW on June 1th and each time I go there they are saying that I have to wait. About a month ago as I run out of the money completely I went to my local HSE officer and asked him for assistance. After 3 weeks I got a letter that they value my apartment in Poland for approx 85 000 euro and according to their calculator it should be making weekly profit of 244 euro. (all bull***t) Therefore I am entitled to nothing and staying in Ireland is only my own choice and responsibility. The fact is that I am making exactly 0 euro on this apartment as I can not rent it if I want to sell it and even then the rental potential is only about 250 euro per month. If I had the 85 000 euro in my bank account I wouldn't claim social welfare in the first place. There is a difference between having an apartment 2000 miles away that I am trying to sale and having the money. I can not go to the shop and exchange a square centimeter of my apartment for a peace of bread. Hopefully I'll get that job and won't have to deal with those people never again. Ireland is my home for the last 6 years, I speak the language, I have become almost like yourselves by now and I don't even know anyone in Poland anymore. I don't want to claim social welfare for a number of years - all I need is a temporary help until I get a job or sell my apartment. What difference does it make for them? Once I am back on track they will get it back in tax anyway...

Sounds to me like you stand a reasonable chance of appealing their decision. Especially if you ahve any photographs etc of the apartment to show them it's not worth as much as they think.

• Advertisement

Snoogans wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you stand a reasonable chance of appealing their decision. Especially if you ahve any photographs etc of the apartment to show them it's not worth as much as they think.

It is worth that much according to their books - there is only one small problem - there is no buyer and the true value of something is what someone is willing to pay for it.
    How can a property worth 85 000 generate a profit of 244 euro per week? That I don't understand.

Realistically how much would the apartment earn rented out per month ? At the risk if sounding abrupt every month it's not rented you are losing money.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Realistically how much would the apartment earn rented out per month ? At the risk if sounding abrupt every month it's not rented you are losing money.
    I can get about 250 euro per month from students once the academic year begins and I have decided to do that instead of trying to sell it - it will help me to pay off my debts in time. It looks like I will have a job soon, so my struggle will come to an end. I just think it is disgusting that despite paying taxes for all those years: income tax, road tax, vat in every single product or service I paid for etc.. I am being told f*** o** to Poland your life is not our problem... That is just not fair in situation where there are thousands of people who are in receipt of social welfare payment for years without even trying to look for a job - everybody knows that...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'm so sorry to hear about this situation, but it looks like things are looking up now. Best of luck with the job, I hope you get it sorted out. You sound like a really decent guy.

dory wrote: »
    I'm so sorry to hear about this situation, but it looks like things are looking up now. Best of luck with the job, I hope you get it sorted out. You sound like a really decent guy.

Thank you. I just hope that something will change in this system, because there are so many people in similar situation to mine and they are just left there on their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Ian Mac

I sympathise with you to a point , I lived and worked in Poland (lucky to get a job) and I got treated very badly , the myth of no Irish allowed is true a right kick in the teeth , only for my gf being Polish I got a job in Poctza Polska (Post Office) , 2400zl a month (600 euro) , tough living in Warsaw on that money , no one willing to employ me because I was Irish , I as a european/irish citizen felt used hearing how when the polish people get free medical and open arm privileges in Ireland (to which I overheard many Poles boast about) and I personally got nothing , its a terrible circle!

Citizens Information offices are very useful here , free legal aid is offered once a month there also.

Wszystkiego najlepszego!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Ian Mac

RoverJames wrote: »
    Fair play to you, best of luck with the new job, I hope it works out well for you. That b1tch that you spoke to in the Citizens Info place sounds a right cnut.

5 billion has left Ireland since the arrival of foreign nationals all of 10-15 years ago , alot of money that could have been well spent here on much wanted things instead we're picking up the pieces , you might say how dare she now but you know yourself you're cynical to alot of motives made and given to foreign nationals , when us gullible Irish are drinking our tears struggling to pay off our mortgage or simply put food on the table.

We as a nation were too nice and its about time we bit back , that attitude although incorrectly worded is neede where are foreign countries to bail our people (not banks) out when the going gets tough , when we done it for many years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement