Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato Question

Options
  • 06-08-2010 12:33pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

I decided to grow tomatoes this year for the first time - outside no greenhouse.

everything was going swimmingly, have huge plants,loads of flowers and tomatoes are now starting to form.

one of my bigger plants appears to be dying,the leaves have started to curl inwards and the flowers have turned black and are starting to die.

any ideas what might be causing this ? i have moved it away from the other plants in case it has a disease and i dont want to spread it.

any help would be great

thanks

IB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I'm afraid it could be blight, are you in a potato growing area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

A photo would help to confirm if its blight or not.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

:eek: yes,i am growing potatoes :eek:

will get you a photo when i come home tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Here's the photos.

Curly leaves

DSCN3233.jpg?t=1281297301

Black flowers

DSCN3230.jpg?t=1281297331

Potatoes in the garden, looking healthy

DSCN3234.jpg?t=1281297378

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

It's not blight. Have you been watering regularly? Sometimes tomato leaves do curl, if the plant is otherwise healthy I'd just wait and see. Maybe the flowers weren't pollinated.

• Advertisement

we water them every day and feed them about once a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Most of the things I can think of would be more likely in greenhouse grown tomatoes but you say yours are outside. It's possible they have a virus, in which case you are probably wise to keep them separate. The yellow leaves might also suggest low magnesium but that wouldn't explain the other symptoms. Usually what would come to mind is large variations in temperature but that's unlikely to be the case if they are outdoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Yeah looks like a mineral defieciency do the bubbling of the leaf sometimes is a clue to a virus. Perhaps you could step up your feeding levels, you may be flushing the feed out of the plant when you water. I feed mine 4 times a week and still have the odd mineral defiencency showing.

The support canes also for your plants look a little weak. I never use canes but tie string to the base of the plant loosely and train the plant up the string as it grows removing the side shoots to a support overhead wire. The stronger the support you have the more fruit the tomato plant will produce.

just thought i would give you a quick update.

i took everyones advice and up'ed the feed, nearly everyday now.

the plant in the photos now has new yellow flowers - woo hoo

we are going to have mighty crop, we count at least 80 tomatoes forming on 2 plants :D

a lot of big ones and some are starting to ripen up.

thanks for you the advice and help:):):)

Advertisement